blueman

Default Removing superficial scratches from toilet bowl...

Somehow even though I was using one of those toilet snakes with a
plastic sleeve, I managed to leave a few scratch marks on the toilet
bowl where the tip rubbed against the surface. I was surprised that
even without force just a little careless dragging of the tip left
scratches.

The scratches appear as aluminum-colored streaks against the white
bowl and are apparantly superficial (i.e., you can't feel the scratch).

I tried cleaning them with a scrubbing sponge and ajax which removed
some of the marks but still left them visible.

Any suggestions?

Jeff
Luke

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:43:52 GMT, blueman wrote:

Somehow even though I was using one of those toilet snakes with a
plastic sleeve, I managed to leave a few scratch marks on the toilet
bowl where the tip rubbed against the surface. I was surprised that
even without force just a little careless dragging of the tip left
scratches.

The scratches appear as aluminum-colored streaks against the white
bowl and are apparantly superficial (i.e., you can't feel the scratch).

I tried cleaning them with a scrubbing sponge and ajax which removed
some of the marks but still left them visible.

Any suggestions?

Barkeeper's Friend. Make a paste, let sit a while, scrub gently. If
that doesn't completely remove the marks, try Zud, same method, scrub
very gently so as not to scratch the porcelain.

--
Luke
"And if there is a leak out of my administration, I want to know who
-- George W. Bush, September 30, 2003
George E. Cawthon

blueman wrote:
Somehow even though I was using one of those toilet snakes with a
plastic sleeve, I managed to leave a few scratch marks on the toilet
bowl where the tip rubbed against the surface. I was surprised that
even without force just a little careless dragging of the tip left
scratches.

The scratches appear as aluminum-colored streaks against the white
bowl and are apparantly superficial (i.e., you can't feel the scratch).

I tried cleaning them with a scrubbing sponge and ajax which removed
some of the marks but still left them visible.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

Those many not be scratches depending on the
hardness of the metal in the snake. For example
if the metal of the snake was aluminum or soft
iron, those marks would be the metal smear on the
porcelain not a scratch since the porcelain is
harder than the metal. ZLR will probably dissolve
the metal smear and a pumice blocks should rub it off.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 22 Jul 2005 04:08:39 GMT "George E.
Cawthon" posted:

blueman wrote:
[...]

That's been my experience, and I even got much of it off with my
finger, rubbing hard until the finger starts to get hot. (Skin never
leaves scratches.) (A friend was removing his bathtub doorframe and
though he scraped the tub. But like you say, it was the other way
around.)

Also the cleanser with the little chick on the round box and "hasn't
scratched yet" is good. Can't remember the name.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

blueman

blueman writes:
Somehow even though I was using one of those toilet snakes with a
plastic sleeve, I managed to leave a few scratch marks on the toilet
bowl where the tip rubbed against the surface. I was surprised that
even without force just a little careless dragging of the tip left
scratches.

The scratches appear as aluminum-colored streaks against the white
bowl and are apparantly superficial (i.e., you can't feel the scratch).

I tried cleaning them with a scrubbing sponge and ajax which removed
some of the marks but still left them visible.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

I looked for Zud, Clr, and several of the other poster suggestions at
my local Home Cheapo, but couldn't find them. Instead, I found an
acid-based (HCl) toilet bowl cleaner. I applied it, let it sit for
about 15 minutes, and was able to easily rub out the "scratches" with
a sponge.

Thanks all for the suggestions.