DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   stair rail height (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/114175-stair-rail-height.html)

John P Reber July 21st 05 05:26 PM

stair rail height

I was told that in Cecil County, MD that the stair rail height should be
between 34 and 35 inches.

Is this measured from the toe or the heal of the step?

Rick July 21st 05 05:39 PM

"John P Reber" wrote in message
news:1121963180.db3af69fc876362e17fca56e2be708d7@t eranews...
I was told that in Cecil County, MD that the stair rail height

should be
between 34 and 35 inches.

Is this measured from the toe or the heal of the step?

Vertical height from the leading edge-usually 34-38 inches....

Rick July 21st 05 06:48 PM

"John P Reber" wrote in message
news:1121963180.db3af69fc876362e17fca56e2be708d7@t eranews...
I was told that in Cecil County, MD that the stair rail height

should be
between 34 and 35 inches.

Is this measured from the toe or the heal of the step?

Vertical height from the leading edge-usually 34-38 inches....

Sorry if there are multiple postings...

Mikepier July 21st 05 07:02 PM

Its usually measured from the edge of the step.

[email protected] July 21st 05 08:23 PM

That vertical dimension is always measured from the leading edge of the
step.

* Depending on the code *, there is a requirement for carrying the end
of the rail beyond the bottoma and top steps with exceptions for newel
posts. If the stairs are more than 30 inches above the surface below,
there is probably a requirement for a "guard" that is higher than the
rail. Then there is a requirement for the spacing between pickets and a
requirement for a non ladder arrangement of members.