blueman

Default "sweaty" cold water supply pipe

The humid weather is resulting in "sweaty" cold water pipes in our
basement.

I have read the suggestion to insulate the pipes just like with hot
water pipes. However, I am concerned that while this may reduce the
sweating, there still will be some condensation, but now the
condensation will be trapped against the pipe.

Should I be worrying about this? If so, what should I do to minimize
the potential for mildew and mold in this trapped moisture?

Second, I find that the condensation only occurs on the first few feet
of pipe in from the grounde. Is it possible that conduction causes the
water in the first few feet of pipe to stay cold all the time leading
to heavy condensation while beyond that the water for the most part
has warmed up (except when the water is actively running) so that
there is much less active condensation?
Edwin Pawlowski

"blueman" wrote in message

I have read the suggestion to insulate the pipes just like with hot
water pipes. However, I am concerned that while this may reduce the
sweating, there still will be some condensation, but now the
condensation will be trapped against the pipe.

Insulated properly there will be no condensation to trap.

Should I be worrying about this?

No

Second, I find that the condensation only occurs on the first few feet
of pipe in from the grounde. Is it possible that conduction causes the
water in the first few feet of pipe to stay cold all the time leading
to heavy condensation while beyond that the water for the most part
has warmed up (except when the water is actively running) so that
there is much less active condensation?

Yes, but if you run a lot of water it will move along the line as it cools
down. Depends on your particular use, temperatures, humidity, etc.

Pawlowski is, again, correct.
The water on the pipe surface comes from the air.
Thus, a well sealed insulation jacket will not allow moisture to fomr
on the pipe.
TB

...a well sealed insulation jacket will not allow
moisture to fomr on the pipe.

And it may increase the water heating bill.

Nick

Harry K wrote:

...a well sealed insulation jacket will not allow
moisture to fomr on the pipe.

And it may increase the water heating bill.

Not in any measurable way...

I disagree.

Nick

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 22 Jul 2005 01:32:04 GMT blueman
posted:

writes:
Pawlowski is, again, correct.
The water on the pipe surface comes from the air.
Thus, a well sealed insulation jacket will not allow moisture to fomr
on the pipe.
TB

How well sealed is "well sealed"?
Is it enough to buy the Home Chepot middle-grade stuff that comes with
taped edges that you push together?

My sense is that the adhesive tape is enough to keep it on the pipe but not
enough to make a real seal.
Is there stuff that is better to buy or should I cover the seam with
something like duct tape?

Thanks

If you put it on when the pipe is dry, almost anything will keep the
humid air from touching the pipe after that. No humid air, no
condensation. If part of the pipe is dry, wipe it off with a towel
first.

Personally, I doubt mold or anything will grow on a little dampness on
a copper pipe, but this should prevent any.

If youre still not sure, open part up after 6 months and check it out.
But you have to look right away. The moment you open it up, humid air
might start to condense on the pipe.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

blueman wrote:
The humid weather is resulting in "sweaty" cold water pipes in our
basement.

I have read the suggestion to insulate the pipes just like with hot
water pipes. However, I am concerned that while this may reduce the
sweating, there still will be some condensation, but now the
condensation will be trapped against the pipe.

Well I heard this insulation was primarily for the cold water pipe, not
the hot water pipe.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

if you leave the pipe uninsulated you will avoid the killer mold in the
insulation problem, which is what you probably heard about on tv news
last year. a spray-on aerosol can foam insulation would ease your mold
worries if you insist on insulation. check with your local building
inspector for requirements and ideas.