Doug Kanter

" wrote in
message ...

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I understand. I wouldn't want some guy in Minnesota to lose business

because
I didn't call him to fix my AC unit here in upstate NY. But, I wonder if
that same guy will replace a worn out cord on a lamp, or call an
electrician.

But, you dont get it...
Stormin is a locksmith in NY....NOT an HVAC guy.

Uh oh. He's really gonna be upset when he finds out I installed my own
dishwasher.

Doug Kanter

"Joseph" wrote in message

"chevelless" wrote in message
I would be glad to help by walking you through it since I am retired and

don't need your business.

I can't get the pictures to come up so I don't know which model you have.
This newsgroup is a joke when it comes to helping out anyone.

alt.home.repair is for getting Home repairs not alt.hvac. The only
reason your getting the bad responses is because you're cross posting.
AHR
will not get you flamed unless you ask for it..

There are two ways of putting messages in more than one newsgroup. One's
obnoxious. One's not. I did it in the way that's NOT obnoxious. Thanks for
the input, and have a nice day.

Doug Kanter

It's a 38TK018300
Serial #: 0389E19460

Doug Kanter wrote:

I understand. I wouldn't want some guy in Minnesota to lose business
because
I didn't call him to fix my AC unit here in upstate NY. But, I wonder if
that same guy will replace a worn out cord on a lamp, or call an
electrician.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Dear Doug,
Most of the fellows on this group are HVAC employess or shop owners.
Asking us for a "free how to do it" is like walking in to a restaurant
with
two slices of bread and two eggs. and asking for a free breakfast.
YOu're
not likely to get much cooperaion on this list, and will likely get
some
implolite folks.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The fins on the side of my Carrier exterior AC unit are pretty filthy,
so
wanted to hose them off with an outward stream of water. Shop vac
didn't
work - the stuff's turned to something other than just dust, probably
due
moisture and whatever else....

Pictures here, although probably unnecessary for most of you:
http://community.webshots.com/script...98461006gSRGXc

Took a quick look at the top panel and it looks as if the fan motor's
attached to it (via the inner 4 screws). And, the top panel overlaps
the
side panels, so it SEEMS they can't be removed without first taking off
the
top. What's the correct procedure here?

Doug Kanter

" wrote in
message ...

BTW Doug, altho many of the DIY guys wont like this, but altho your unit
may
very well seem to be running better after you chem clean, and flush the
outer coil, check the superheat, or subcool since its going to change with
the lower head pressures that you have created by this partial service.
While you are at it, you should also clean your blower, your evap, and
condensate drain.
THEN, check your superheat or subcool, since you will have allowed the
coil
to absorb more heat and increased airflow over it.
In other words...your charge, MAY no longer be correct.

I'm assuming that it's gonna need more than what little I can do to it.

This unit came with the house I bought last September. Previously, I used an
HVAC contractor that was terrific, but when there were problems with the
furnace (2 year old Goodman high-E), I called the name on the sticker
because the thing's still under warranty. The guy did NOT inspire
confidence, to put it politely. I didn't even give him the chance to come
over - I called my previous contractor, who, after looking at the
installation, said "Holy ****....". $150.00 later, some fine points of
installation were straightened out.

I *like* supporting these people, and normally don't mind paying whatever is
necessary because they do excellent work, and employ great people. But,
money's ridiculously tight at the moment, so if I can save even the smallest
amount of labor $$$, it'll help. On the other hand, I know when I'm about to
get into something that's beyond my abilities.

Doug Kanter

"meirman" wrote in message

I don't know whether it needs cleaning or not, without seeing it. I
don't think mine is dirty at all after 26 years (??) but some of the
fins are bent together at the bottom.

The fins are in good shape (not bent), but about 30% of the surface area is
clogged with what appears to be something similar to dryer lint. Very
fibrous.

Doug Kanter

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. ..

I don't want to deny you making a good living, but are you losing money if
I do a repair with your help? Will you come to my house and do it at your
normal price? Of course not, it would be impractical.

What's interesting (in the midst of this little love-fest) is this: In my
previous house, I had a really ancient furnace (eventually replaced), and
the HVAC guy I used often asked me (over the phone) to try a couple of
not-too-involved things on my own when there were problems. If these
suggestions didn't work, one of his people would come over and take care of
it.

Result: If anyone asked me who I used for HVAC work, I would NOT tell them.
Rather, I would write down the guy's name and stick the piece of paper in
the person's hand, to make sure they remembered, and tell them they were
nuts if they went anywhere else.

If someone saves me money when they feel it's appropriate, I send the money
right back to them one way or another. That's how businesses are built.

Doug Kanter

"Jabs" wrote in message
Doug,
You have already received excellent answered from field experts here.
However, if you think they are bull****ting you;
Read about the outdoor coil on page 4.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/om38-29.pdf

Then read what an expert would do on page 2 of this link.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...lit/38-1sm.pdf

Jabs

Thanks again for the links. The HVAC guy has been called. $72.50 + coffee +
parts, if needed.

See? It pays to give a little information instead of just "don't do it". :-)

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:13:56 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Jabs" wrote in message
.. .
Doug,
You have already received excellent answered from field experts here.
However, if you think they are bull****ting you;
Read about the outdoor coil on page 4.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/om38-29.pdf

Then read what an expert would do on page 2 of this link.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...lit/38-1sm.pdf

Jabs

Thanks again for the links. The HVAC guy has been called. $72.50 + coffee +
parts, if needed.

See? It pays to give a little information instead of just "don't do it". :-)

'Pays' exactly how ?

Are you sending Jabs money ? I'm sure he could provide his
PayPal info for you ......

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:13:56 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

. ..

+
parts, if needed.

See? It pays to give a little information instead of just "don't do it".
:-)

'Pays' exactly how ?

Umm....getting your point across? Not everyone's a sheep and responds to
things like "Just don't".

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Do these animal rescue places ever offer nice, big wolves for adoption? I've
got a few nasty dog problems here. Need to find a predator.

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:43:08 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Jabs" wrote in message
Doug,
You have already received excellent answered from field experts here.
However, if you think they are bull****ting you;
Read about the outdoor coil on page 4.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...it/om38-29.pdf

Then read what an expert would do on page 2 of this link.
http://www.xpedio.carrier.com/idc/gr...lit/38-1sm.pdf

Jabs

Thanks again for the links. The HVAC guy has been called. $72.50 + coffee
+
parts, if needed.

See? It pays to give a little information instead of just "don't do it".
:-)

'Pays' exactly how ?

Umm....getting your point across? Not everyone's a sheep and responds to
things like "Just don't".

What interest am I supposed to have in 'getting any point
across to you' ?

The only point here is that you seem to have FINALLY decided
to do what you were told in the first place. Not that I give a ****
one way or the other. It's your house, your unit, your money - you do
what the hell you please.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 15:43:08 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Jabs" wrote in message
[...]

You don't have any interest, but the other guy did. Not everyone needs to
rise above the average.

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:18:54 -0700, ~^Johnny^~
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:51:10 -0400, "
wrote:

hides behind his temple robes that he stole from
Donny and Marie.

Hey, watch it. I like Donny and Marie!

Didn't know you 'went that way' .....

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/
San Francisco

Doug:

don't pay some jack-leg $72!!!!!!

go to your local Johnstone Supply (in the white pages)

ask for a gallon of purple Alki-Foam (the #1 selling foaming lye-based coil
cleaner in the world) about $8 or so

put in plastic squirt bottle (1:1 ratio, i.e. 1/2 water, 1/2 purple stuff)
always add purple stuff to water, not vice-versa

set breaker near unit to OFF position

while wearing gloves & goggles for safety, spray liberally into coil all
over, take it slow & thorough
this is bad stuff, don't get in skin or eyes (it is essentially oven
cleaner)

wait 5 minutes, it will foam up during this time

spray off thoroughly with garden hose with sprayer attachment

turn breaker back on

enjoy lower utility bill!

S.F.

Stormin Mormon

Are you aware that Johnstone has a list of requirements before purchasing?
And what those requirements are?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"San Francisco" wrote in message
Doug:

go to your local Johnstone Supply (in the white pages)

"meirman" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair on Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:44:31 -0400
"
posted:

I'm thinking of washing from the inside because the air's pulling the

crap
in from the outside of the fins. So, I wonder if a stream strong

enough
(from the outside) might force water into electrical stuff that, even

though
it's meant to be outdoors, isn't designed for a horizontal hosing. I
dunno...

Most things will dry off if you wait 2 or 3 days, but it wouldn't hurt
to wrap the motor in a big plastic trash bag. Don't forget to unwrap
it before putting the cover on.

WHY?

Why wouldn't it hurt? Why would it?

Waste of time.

Does he need to wrap it in the rain too?

Like he said, he's going to be spraying the water from the side.
Where I come from, it rains from the top.

Funny thing guy...we do this 4 to 10 times a day, and thats got to be the
silliest idea I have seen on a sealed motor.

My AC also has a solid 8 to 10 inch disk which I think is meant to
shield the motor from rain. It's just bigger than the motor.

Its called a rain sheild...its also called a waste of material.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

TURTLE

" wrote in
message ...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Dear Doug,
Most of the fellows on this group are HVAC employess or shop owners.
Asking us for a "free how to do it" is like walking in to a restaurant

with
two slices of bread and two eggs. and asking for a free breakfast. YOu're
not likely to get much cooperaion on this list, and will likely get some
implolite folks.

And some, ok..one..Chris, AKA the Stumped Moron, is a locksmith that thinks
hes an HVAC guy, and he hides behind his temple robes that he stole from
Donny and Marie.
LOCKSMITH there...and he is going around calling everyone that knows this,
and calls him on it rude, and impolite.
Sheesh...Im not rude or impolite..im just not politically correct.
Oh..wait..yes I am..
**** off Chris.
BTW Doug, altho many of the DIY guys wont like this, but altho your unit may
very well seem to be running better after you chem clean, and flush the
outer coil, check the superheat, or subcool since its going to change with
the lower head pressures that you have created by this partial service.
While you are at it, you should also clean your blower, your evap, and
condensate drain.
THEN, check your superheat or subcool, since you will have allowed the coil
to absorb more heat and increased airflow over it.
In other words...your charge, MAY no longer be correct.

This is Turtle.

Look Stevey Wonder , Stormy was expressing his thoughts on the answers that are
give to poster and was not advicing anybody on anything. Then you come out with
a Super lesson on your great ability on charging systems and call Stormy a
Stupid Moron , tell him to **** OFF , and then you say your not impolite at all.

Do you really have to put somebody down to make the people listen to you or
could you just speak for yourself and not others and still expect people to
listen to you.

TURTLE

Dr. Hardcrab

I'm gonna make you two go to your rooms.........

"TURTLE" wrote in message

" wrote in
message ...

Stormin Mormon

Hope not to each other.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Loblaw" wrote in message

~^Johnny^~ wrote:
Hey, watch it. I like Donny and Marie!

I heard they're married. :-)

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Hope not to each other.

--

Of course not, to dead relatives....

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"Bob Loblaw" wrote in message

~^Johnny^~ wrote:
Hey, watch it. I like Donny and Marie!

I heard they're married. :-)

"TURTLE" wrote in message

" wrote in
message ...

[...]

REad again Terry the Turtle...i said I was impolite and I know it.

Do you really have to put somebody down to make the people listen to you

or
could you just speak for yourself and not others and still expect people

listen to you.

Mailbox says someones listening.....and I still dont care what you the hack
in LA thinks.
Thanks for playing...
TURTLE

TURTLE

" wrote in
message ...

"TURTLE" wrote in message

" wrote in
message ...

[...]

There is bunches fresh Fools Born every morning and if you like to make a living
off them. More power to you of hacking the fools , but just don't expect me to
play along with you.

TURTLE

HeatMan

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Are you aware that Johnstone has a list of requirements before purchasing?
And what those requirements are?

Requirement #1. Don't sell to Chris/Storming Moron.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"San Francisco" wrote in message
Doug:

go to your local Johnstone Supply (in the white pages)

Tekkie®

Bob Loblaw posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

~^Johnny^~ wrote:
Hey, watch it. I like Donny and Marie!

I heard they're married. :-)

Only to each other...
--

Tekkie

Oscar_Lives

"San Francisco" wrote in message
Doug:

don't pay some jack-leg $72!!!!!!

go to your local Johnstone Supply (in the white pages)

ask for a gallon of purple Alki-Foam (the #1 selling foaming lye-based
coil cleaner in the world) about $8 or so

put in plastic squirt bottle (1:1 ratio, i.e. 1/2 water, 1/2 purple stuff)
always add purple stuff to water, not vice-versa

set breaker near unit to OFF position

while wearing gloves & goggles for safety, spray liberally into coil all
over, take it slow & thorough
this is bad stuff, don't get in skin or eyes (it is essentially oven
cleaner)

If it is just oven cleaner, then it would be easier and cheaper to go to
Wal-Mart and get some Easy-Off Oven Cleaner. It foams up nicely, and one
can should be just the right amount to clean a coil.

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

[...]

And after 5 min, he wont have to worry about that pesky coil getting dirty
again..

wait 5 minutes, it will foam up during this time

spray off thoroughly with garden hose with sprayer attachment

turn breaker back on

enjoy lower utility bill!

S.F.

TURTLE

"RP" wrote in message

"meirman" wrote in message

[...]

And probably 1 out of 10 times that I clean a coil and the HO is standing
there they'll ask "Is it ok to get water on that motor?"
Duh, here's your sign

My AC also has a solid 8 to 10 inch disk which I think is meant to
shield the motor from rain. It's just bigger than the motor.

Its called a rain sheild...its also called a waste of material.

Yep.

hvacrmedic

This is Turtle.

yes what you say is very true about 98% of the time but Carrier [ and maybe some
other brands but can't remember ] on some models some time back did still have
open face motors with a over sized cup down on side rain shield on it. If you
paint the picture to wash them as you please on all , well these 2% open face
motors are going to come back and haunt you. be sure to not let the wide paint
brush cover these old type open face motors with big cups water shields on them.

And yes I bought a fan motor one time by washing a carrier condenser while
running. i did not look to see if it was a totally sealed motor. Bought Lessons
are much better that Schooled lessons.

And Yes i guessed at the % of the motors.

TURTLE

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Vicki Szaszvari

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Are you aware that Johnstone has a list of requirements before purchasing?
And what those requirements are?

Johnstone in Phoenix will sell to ANYONE. Even you, Stormy.

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Are you aware that Johnstone has a list of requirements before purchasing?
And what those requirements are?

Johnstone in Phoenix will sell to ANYONE. Even you, Stormy.

Few people realize Johnstones Supply is a
cooperative, with locally owned stores and a corporate
headquarters. The local stores set their own policies.

The Phoenix Home Owners Association thanks you for
posting your little tidbit on the local Johnstones.