DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing duct tape goo (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/113740-removing-duct-tape-goo.html)

Charlie S. July 17th 05 10:23 PM

Removing duct tape goo

Trying to remove duct tape residue from the Formica trim and metal around
the sink. It doesn't come off easy. Is there a solvent that removes this
stuff easily? Also, would like to be able to live in the house afterwards.
So, I don't want anything too strong smelling, if at all possible. Been
trying to scrape it off. It's a frustrating process.

I am planning to repair the sink once I get this gunk off. There are a few
drip points where the metal meets the counter. I am going to use some sort
of sealant between the seams to eliminate the dripping problem beneath.
There is quite a gap between the metal and sink. The sink is sagging in the
middle somewhat.... it's old. Ideally, it should be replaced. But, I would
imagine a new counter and sink get-up must run a grand or better. Am I on
target with the price. I haven't priced them out at HD.

Also, will be cutting a narrow piece of Formica to replace the piece I
damaged scrapping some of this stuff off. Someone told me to use a utility
knife to cut the Formica. Any tricks to cutting it? I was thinking of
marking it with a pen or pencil. Lying it down on a wooden board. Then,
scoring it before I applied heavy pressure to cut. This thin strip of
Formica will eventually lie on the edge of the sink's metal surface. Any
special glue I should use? I have "Wilsonart International H20" It says
not to use it with copper. Normally,
I guess this product is primarily used with non-metal surfaces. I'm
thinking with such a small section it should be fine.

Dan C July 17th 05 10:39 PM

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:23:12 +0000, Charlie S. wrote:

Trying to remove duct tape residue from the Formica trim and metal around
the sink. It doesn't come off easy. Is there a solvent that removes this
stuff easily? Also, would like to be able to live in the house afterwards.
So, I don't want anything too strong smelling, if at all possible. Been
trying to scrape it off. It's a frustrating process.

Go to Walmart, hardware store, or dollar-store, and get "Goo-Gone". Works
like a dream, and smells good too.

Linux Registered User #327951

Charlie S. July 17th 05 10:47 PM

Thanks!
Did a little more investigating and found the leak is originating from the
base of the faucett extension. I unscrewed the top cap. There is rubber
gasket which looks in good shape. I don't know what I else I can do except
re-tighten. I don't want to over-tighten. It seemed pretty tight when I
took it off. Any ideas what else I might do to seal this a little better?

Charlie S. July 18th 05 12:56 AM

Tightened up the cap. Leaks seems to have disappeared. Hope it's gone for
good.

Went to Wall Mart and the local super market. Couldn't find Goo Gone.
There is a substance called Oops. May try this if I can't find Goo Gone.

CWLee July 18th 05 08:26 AM

"Charlie S." wrote

Is there a solvent that removes this
stuff easily?

Another good product is "De-solv-it" or a very similar
spelling. Found on the shelves of LA area supermarkets.

Bob Vaughan July 18th 05 09:41 AM

In article GeCCe.4309$YD3.2105@trndny03,
Charlie S. wrote:

Went to Wall Mart and the local super market. Couldn't find Goo Gone.
There is a substance called Oops. May try this if I can't find Goo Gone.

Goof-Off is another one..

You could also try lighter fluid (naptha).

make sure you ventilate well when using any solvent indoors.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

Charlie S. July 19th 05 01:21 AM

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
First try some WD-40 if you have it around the house, before you go out
and buy something.

Thanks, I used the WD-40. It worked well. Realized WD-40 can is almost
empty. Don't use it much. So, I'll put it off until another day.

The sink is still leaking. Can't seem to win with this old faucet. Bought
a low priced Moen today. May have trouble getting the base off the old one.
I'm not sure? I haven't tried yet. It seems to be bonded to the main part
of the sink somehow. If I have too much trouble, I'll post here for help.
Or, ask my plumber neighbor for help.

meirman July 19th 05 07:50 AM

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:26:10 -0700 "CWLee"
posted:

"Charlie S." wrote

Is there a solvent that removes this
stuff easily?

Another good product is "De-solv-it" or a very similar

That one is great, but sometimes hard to find in Md. It's an orange
cleaner (made from organges, not for cleaning them) and I think most
work almost as well. That's what I use for adhesives. That's its
biggest strength

spelling. Found on the shelves of LA area supermarkets.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.