bc

Default water condensing on AC compressor coils

Is this a problem? The pad the compressor sits on seems to collect quite
a puddle, and there is some water standing in the bottom of the housing.
This is an outside unit, that is, a Carrier AC system with outside
compressor and coils, and lines running to an air handler inside. I
thought the cold part of things was the set of coils inside the air
handler. Thanks.
TURTLE

"bc" wrote in message

Is this a problem? The pad the compressor sits on seems to collect quite
a puddle, and there is some water standing in the bottom of the housing.
This is an outside unit, that is, a Carrier AC system with outside
compressor and coils, and lines running to an air handler inside. I
thought the cold part of things was the set of coils inside the air
handler. Thanks.

This is Turtle.

I can't say it sound bad just wet out there without looking at it to see other
things it could be wrong.

TURTLE

Rick

"bc" wrote in message

Is this a problem? The pad the compressor sits on seems to collect

quite
a puddle, and there is some water standing in the bottom of the

housing.
This is an outside unit, that is, a Carrier AC system with outside
compressor and coils, and lines running to an air handler inside. I
thought the cold part of things was the set of coils inside the air
handler. Thanks.

If there's even a short section of the suction line exposed (no
insulation), it's probably just water condensing on the line and
running down to where it enters the unit..

SQLit

"bc" wrote in message

Is this a problem? The pad the compressor sits on seems to collect quite
a puddle, and there is some water standing in the bottom of the housing.
This is an outside unit, that is, a Carrier AC system with outside
compressor and coils, and lines running to an air handler inside. I
thought the cold part of things was the set of coils inside the air
handler. Thanks.

Are you sure that the drain from the indoor unit does not come to the same
area?

Mikepier

There are usually drain holes at the bottom of the unit which
occasionally get clogged and need to get cleaned out, if you have
access to it. I also have a Carrier and on my unit. If your unit is
similiar, I shut the power first, then I remove the fan shield on top
and can get access to the bottom and poke a long nail in the drain hole
to clear them.
If your condensate water gets pumped out of the house close to the
compressor, like mine, it could be what the water on the pad is from.
In that case you can just re-route it to drain further away.

"bc" wrote in message

Is this a problem? The pad the compressor sits on seems to collect quite
a puddle, and there is some water standing in the bottom of the housing.
This is an outside unit, that is, a Carrier AC system with outside
compressor and coils, and lines running to an air handler inside. I
thought the cold part of things was the set of coils inside the air
handler. Thanks.

Its just sweat off the suction line...thats all, and its normal as can be
this time of year.

bc

udarrell wrote in
:

wrote:

snip
What is the air temperature rise off the condenser?
Perhaps it could use more of a heatload on the indoor evaporator coil.

The cold suction vapor will cause the suction line near the
compressor, and in many causes, it will cause the compressor to
condense moisture too. This situation is rather normal. Check the
condenser's temp rise anyway, and the indoor em drop between the
supply air diffusers and the return air grilles.
Do you have apparent good airflow from the diffusers in all rooms?
These three things may or may not reveal any helpful information.
- udarrell

Thanks everyone for the answers...

This is the downstairs unit of a two story house, so it doesn't run as
often, but when it is running it does blow cold air. When you check the
temps, you just use a normal thermometer or something? What are you
looking for in the inlet and outlet air temps?

I tend to suspect it's probably normal, although this unit (downstairs)
seems to have a lot more water condensing around it. I thought it might
be bad insulation around the tubing going back in to the house, but that
seems to be ok. The drain from the air handler is coming out another
wall, so I am pretty sure it's just condensation. I see a much smaller
amount of condensation on the upstairs outside unit, but it definitely
seems to run much more, given that heat rises etc. etc.

I'm getting the feeling from the answers so far that it is probably
nothing to worry about, so I am probably going to let it ride for now.

udarrell

bc wrote:

udarrell wrote in
:

snip

What is the air temperature rise off the condenser?
Perhaps it could use more of a heatload on the indoor evaporator coil.

This situation is rather normal. Check the
condenser's temp rise anyway, and the indoor temp drop between the
supply air diffusers and the return air grilles.
Do you have apparent good airflow from the diffusers in all rooms?
These three things may, or may not, reveal any helpful information.
- udarrell

Thanks everyone for the answers...

When you check the
temps, you just use a normal thermometer or something?

Yes, use a normal thermometer.

What are you looking for in the inlet and outlet air temps?

The indoor temp/split will vary according to the relative humidity
level. (See chart) Figure A18-1
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html

A lot of factors enter into the indoor temp/split, that is why the
condenser split is helpful information as to the Btu/hr heatload that
the evaporator is transferring to the condenser.
Your outdoor split will not be as much as the condenser chart shows;
note that the higher the relative humidity the higher the condenser temp
rise.
Figure A17-4 Sorry I wrote all over the charts, it's a bad habit of mine.
Do the same simple checks on your upstairs system, and see how they
compare. (Post the temps here.) - udarrell

--
Optimizing Air-Conditioner Efficiency
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...ator-coil.html

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Contemplating unvented Indirect hot water upgrade vortex2 UK diy 21 December 3rd 03 11:51 PM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM