DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage Door Opener will not close (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/113620-garage-door-opener-will-not-close.html)

Andrew Sarangan July 16th 05 04:27 AM

Garage Door Opener will not close

This is a very old garage door opener. Brand name is "Auto Mate". It is
probably 25 years old or even more. It was working fine until last week.
There was a paint bucket which stopped the door while it was closing. After
that I am unable to close the door. Every time I activate the door, it
opens, but it will not reverse direction.

Before you ask, this door does not have an optical sensor for obstructions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Joseph Meehan July 16th 05 11:20 AM

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
This is a very old garage door opener. Brand name is "Auto Mate". It
is probably 25 years old or even more. It was working fine until last
week. There was a paint bucket which stopped the door while it was
closing. After that I am unable to close the door. Every time I
activate the door, it opens, but it will not reverse direction.

Before you ask, this door does not have an optical sensor for
obstructions.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It likely does have a force sensor. The first thing you want to do is
to disconnect the opener and try moving it up and down manually. It should
move smoothly and easily and it should be able to park at the top and
bottom.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

RBM July 16th 05 12:41 PM

I would also check to see what type of up and down "limit" devices the unit
has and be sure that both the limit switches and the limit actuators have
not been damaged
1...

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert July 16th 05 05:52 PM

wrote:
Dude

The thing is called an OPENER. Openers OPEN things, not close them.
If you want the door to CLOSE, you need a garage door CLOSER !!!

Next time, consider the name of the thing for clues to what it does
!!!

lol, thats the first thing that came to my mind. I don't know why.

Sir, that will cost you an additional $399...

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

[email protected] July 17th 05 06:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies. The problem went away when I let the door
open fully until it hit the upper limit. My guess is there must be a
force switch which, when activated by a door obstruction, can only be
reset by fully opening the door. However, due to other objects hanging
from the ceiling, I usually never let the door open fully. I shut off
the power before its opens too much. So I disconnected the door from
the opener arm, and let the arm retreact fully. That solved the
problem.

Pop July 18th 05 12:17 AM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the replies. The problem went away
when I let the door
open fully until it hit the upper limit. My guess is
there must be a
force switch which, when activated by a door
obstruction, can only be
reset by fully opening the door. However, due to
other objects hanging
from the ceiling, I usually never let the door open
fully. I shut off
the power before its opens too much. So I
disconnected the door from
the opener arm, and let the arm retreact fully. That
solved the
problem.

And, of course, you omitted that from your original
post because??????

Jeez!

G Henslee July 18th 05 02:53 PM

Poop wrote:

And, of course, you omitted that from your original
post because??????

Jeez!

Ah shatap your yap, ya whiney ole fartbag.

--
Pop aint ****, he's just Poop.

[email protected] July 20th 05 05:02 AM

You didn't even respond to the orginal question, so what are you
whining about?

G Henslee July 20th 05 07:01 AM

wrote:
You didn't even respond to the orginal question, so what are you
whining about?

Go play with your garage door opener, genius. Tomorrow, clean out that
******** garage of yours.