Walter R.

Default How do I blow the fuse?

I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main
panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit? Can I just
turn off the main switch, short-circuit the wires, and turn the main on
again? Will this damage the Main breaker?

Thanks for your help

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main
panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit? Can I just
turn off the main switch, short-circuit the wires, and turn the main on
again? Will this damage the Main breaker?

Thanks for your help

I wouldn't short circuit anything. You could plug a light bulb in to
check the circuit, 2 bulbs for 220.

Easier is to go to Radio shack or Home Depot and buy a circuit tracer.
Plug the transmitter module into the circuit and the reciever will show
you which wire and which breaker correspond.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
PipeDown

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

[...]

Cheaper than a signal tracer is a multimeter. simply set its dial for AC
volts and toutch the wires to measure the voltage. Turn off a breaker and
see if the voltage went to 0V. If it did, you turned off the right one.

Alternatively to a voltmeter, there are non contact voltage probes (probably
also at RS but many other places too) and you just wave it near a wire and
if it buzzes the wire is live.

Both the probe or the meter can be bought for less than $20 and sometimes
much less.

Pagan

"Walter R." wrote in message
I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main
panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit? Can I just
turn off the main switch, short-circuit the wires, and turn the main on
again? Will this damage the Main breaker?

It might just burn down your house, or seriously damage your wiring. Best
not to short circuit anything.

Thanks for your help

To find a circuit the cheap and easy way, find a friend, plug a light in the
socket, and have your friend tell you when it goes on (or off) when you flip
the breakers or pull the fuses, one at a time of course.

No light, or it's a 220v circuit, you can do the same thing, but instead use
a tester, which can be bought for about $10 at Sears. It's the size of a
thick pen, and there are no contacts. You simply hold it close to the
socket, and when there's power running to it, it lights up and beeps. This
is also a good tool to verify a circuit is dead before fiddling with it, in
case you need to replace a switch or a socket in the future.

If this is an old house, and/or you don't know exactly what you are doing, I
strongly recommend you find an experienced electrician to do your electrical
work. It is depressingly easy to get thrown across the room or killed.

Pagan

Phil Munro

PipeDown wrote:

"Nick Hull" wrote in message

In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

[...]

And of course note that a STOVE probably has a 40 to 60 amp breaker
which would a rarity in your panel. Most of the breakers will be 15
or 20 amps. --Phil

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555

Joseph Meehan

Pagan wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message
I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my
main panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large
house and the main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A
service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit? Can I
just turn off the main switch, short-circuit the wires, and turn the
main on again? Will this damage the Main breaker?

It might just burn down your house, or seriously damage your wiring.
Best not to short circuit anything.

Thanks for your help

To find a circuit the cheap and easy way, find a friend, plug a light
in the socket, and have your friend tell you when it goes on (or off)
when you flip the breakers or pull the fuses, one at a time of course.

Or if you don't have a friend, use a radio turned up loud. BTW either
way always turn it back on to verify it, then off again. I was once
depending on this idea and had the light bulb burn out at the wrong time.
It was interesting and it taught me to always double check.

No light, or it's a 220v circuit, you can do the same thing, but
instead use a tester, which can be bought for about $10 at Sears.
It's the size of a thick pen, and there are no contacts. You simply
hold it close to the socket, and when there's power running to it, it
lights up and beeps. This is also a good tool to verify a circuit is
dead before fiddling with it, in case you need to replace a switch or
a socket in the future.

If this is an old house, and/or you don't know exactly what you are
doing, I strongly recommend you find an experienced electrician to do
your electrical work. It is depressingly easy to get thrown across
the room or killed.

Pagan

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Tim Fischer

Most of the existing replies seem to be ignoring/ignorant of the fact that
the OP is talking about a STOVE with #6 wires. There's no way to plug in a
light, radio, etc. etc or even use a Radio Shack circuit tracer without more
work and risk than the OP should take, if he's asking this question.

Simple answer: As someone else pointed out, it will be a large, double-pole
breaker. You can immediately rule out all the single-pole breakers. Then,
follow the following steps:

1) Turn off Main
2) Separate the wires, making sure you have two exposed bare ends (but not
touching!)
3) Turn on main, and with a neon tester (cheap $3 gizmo available anywhere)
confirm there is power on the wires. This will also ensure you're using the
tester properly (If no power now -- STOP, you're either doing something
wrong, or the wire is disconnected from the panel.
4) Now, turn off all double-pole breakers. Confirm there is NOT power at
the wires. (If there is STOP).
5) Now, turn on each double-pole breaker one by one until the tester lights
up. That's your breaker.

Works best with 2 people within hollering distance (or cell phones/etc) but
can be done with one person if you don't mind many trips back and forth to
the panel.

This is the cheapest safe method to do the job. It's very safe if you
follow the above exactly and never touch the wires unless you've confirmed
they are dead with the tester (even then, avoid touching them).

-Tim

Doug Miller

In article , "Walter R." wrote:
I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main
panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit?

Ummm... why not take the cover off the panel, and see which breaker those #6
red and black wires go to?

--
Regards,

Duane Bozarth

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , "Walter R." wrote:
I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main
panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit?

Ummm... why not take the cover off the panel, and see which breaker those #6
red and black wires go to?

Ok if there's only one pair...
Philip Lewis

"PipeDown" writes:
Cheaper than a signal tracer is a multimeter. simply set its dial for AC

Also something that i didn't know was code legal until recently.
I used to think that all wires in a junction box had to be on the same
(or tied) circuit. I've since been told that that is not the case.
(not that i've witnessed an example, other than in sub/main
panels... but it's good to keep this in mind.) I'd be interested in
where this rule might be excepted/limited/stated (if it is explicitly
stated) if anyone with a NEC book is feeling generous.

So make sure to check *all* wires in that junction box. before working
with them.

Also good to lock out the main panel, or at least put up a note... in
case someone else is around that might flip the breaker back on (or
re-insert the fuse).

--
be safe.
flip

G Henslee

Doug Kanter suggests doing so with both lips wrapped around it.
Tony Hwang

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Walter R." wrote:

I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main
panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit?

Ummm... why not take the cover off the panel, and see which breaker those #6
red and black wires go to?

Hi,
Hmmm,
No labels listing which braker is for which circuit?
I don't understand. Every single house I have built/lived
had clearly marked label on the panel.
Tony

Jeff Wisnia

Walter R. wrote:

I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main
panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit? Can I just
turn off the main switch, short-circuit the wires, and turn the main on
again? Will this damage the Main breaker?

Thanks for your help

If it was a 120 volt circuit I'd just plug a radio into it with the
volume cranked up so I could hear it go quiet when I flipped the correct
breaker.

But, since it's a stove circuit, you'd have to jury rig an outlet
between one of the hot leads and ground or neutral, and giving advice
like that to someone who asked the question the way he did isn't wise. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Pagan

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Pagan wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

Damn good idea!

Pagan

[...]

Stormin Mormon

Milligan can tell you how to blow just about anything you wish.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon

Look for a breaker that is the width of two breakers. And has a number "50"
twice on the wide handle. That's the most likely one.

Of course, you could take the front of the panel off and look for the large
red and black wires.....

Caution! don't reach into the panel for any reason unless you're 100% sure
what you're doing.

Incidentally, what's the project? Why do you need to know which breaker? Are
you wiring something else, or unwiring, or what?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Walter R." wrote in message
I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main
panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit? Can I just
turn off the main switch, short-circuit the wires, and turn the main on
again? Will this damage the Main breaker?

Thanks for your help

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Walter R.

The project is to disconnect the wires from the breaker because the stove
has been removed and I do not like to have hot wires dangling around.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

"Walter R." wrote in message
I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main
panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit? Can I just
turn off the main switch, short-circuit the wires, and turn the main on
again? Will this damage the Main breaker?

Thanks for your help

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

TURTLE

"Walter R." wrote in message
I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my main panel
(looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large house and the main panel
is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit? Can I just turn
off the main switch, short-circuit the wires, and turn the main on again? Will
this damage the Main breaker?

Thanks for your help

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

This is Turtle.

i don't think this will be too bad but turn on one burner on the stove on to and
have some one watch the light at the knob to see it go out when you flip all the
double breakers to see which one it is. go slowly and when you get the one that
goes to the stove the burner on light will go out and that is the breaker.

Now you do know it will be a double breaker and not a single breaker that cuts
it off.

TURTLE

Duane Bozarth

Pop wrote:

Sheesh, what a lot of vareity in answers. If this is a
one-up thing, plug in a radio there, ...

SHEESH!!! When was the last time you had a radio that plugged into a
range outlet????
Pop

"Walter R." wrote in message
I want to identify a circuit breaker for a
disconnected stove in my main panel (looks like # 6
red and black wires). This is a large house and the
main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A
service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular
circuit? Can I just turn off the main switch,
short-circuit the wires, and turn the main on again?
Will this damage the Main breaker?

Thanks for your help

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Sheesh, what a lot of vareity in answers. If this is a
one-up thing, plug in a radio there, turn it up so you
can hear it at breaker panel, and starting turning off
then on breakers until you find the one that turns the
radio off and back on. When you find it, turn it off
when you work on the ckt. Be CERTAIN the ckt is dead
before you touch anything.

Realize electricity is very dangerous; get a fix on the
basics before you handle wiring; be absolutely certain
it is DEAD, has no power. And that no one can turn it
back on until you're ready, if that's a possiblity.
Electricity kills/maims quickly.

You didn't mention whether this is a 120 or a 220 ctk
or even what country it's in. Methods differ.

HTH,

Pop

G Henslee

Duane Bozarth wrote:
Poop wrote:

Sheesh, what a lot of vareity in answers. If this is a
one-up thing, plug in a radio there, ...

SHEESH!!! When was the last time you had a radio that plugged into a
range outlet????

You'll find that when Poop is challenged regarding his replies he tends
to disappear from the thread.

test

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Pop wrote:

Sheesh, what a lot of vareity in answers. If this is a
one-up thing, plug in a radio there, ...

SHEESH!!! When was the last time you had a radio that plugged into a
range outlet????

What I would do will be to cut a foot of 14-2, Only use black and white,
then strip off both ends. Connect them to the radio plug, wrap w/ tape.
Then plug the black wire to one of hots, and neutral to the neutral in the
outlet.

Duane Bozarth

Pop wrote:

Sheesh, what a lot of vareity in answers. If this is a
one-up thing, plug in a radio there, ...

SHEESH!!! When was the last time you had a radio that plugged into a
range outlet????

What I would do will be to cut a foot of 14-2, Only use black and white,
then strip off both ends. Connect them to the radio plug, wrap w/ tape.
Then plug the black wire to one of hots, and neutral to the neutral in the
outlet.

We've been through all this (about three times over) in this thread
already.

Virtually every possibility was advanced at some time during the
(seemingly interminable) pontificating...a late add-in where the same
answer had already been supplied multiple times somehow didn't seem all
that fruitful...
Stormin Mormon

I had TWO radios that plugged in to range outlets. I oneupped you?

Like you say, a radio that plugs into a range outlet sure would be an odd
device. I've never considered that one exists, much less had two.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Pop wrote:

Sheesh, what a lot of vareity in answers. If this is a
one-up thing, plug in a radio there, ...

SHEESH!!! When was the last time you had a radio that plugged into a
range outlet????

Duane Bozarth

Mark wrote:

Pop wrote:

Sheesh, what a lot of vareity in answers. If this is a
one-up thing, plug in a radio there, ...

SHEESH!!! When was the last time you had a radio that plugged into a
range outlet????

What I would do will be to cut a foot of 14-2, Only use black and white,
then strip off both ends. Connect them to the radio plug, wrap w/ tape.
Then plug the black wire to one of hots, and neutral to the neutral in the
outlet.

We've been through all this (about three times over) in this thread
already.

Virtually every possibility was advanced at some time during the
(seemingly interminable) pontificating...a late add-in where the same
answer had already been supplied multiple times somehow didn't seem all
that fruitful...

Well, I don't know about you, but I have a completely new idea. What I
would do will be to cut a foot of 14-2, Only use black and white,
then strip off both ends. Connect them to the radio plug, wrap w/ tape.
Then plug the black wire to one of hots, and neutral to the neutral in the
outlet.

Glad to be of service to you.

I don't know, that sounds awfoolly dangerous...what's going to happen to
all them 'lectrons coming outta' that other side when/if I do that? I'm
thinking if I wear rubber-soled tennies I just might be ok, though????
Stormin Mormon

Pop, you don't sound very familiar with electric. What are the odds of a 110
volt range socket, using #6 wire, if the outlet has red and black power
wires?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pop" wrote in message

"Walter R." wrote in message
[...]

G Henslee

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Pop, you don't sound very familiar with electric. What are the odds of a 110
volt range socket, using #6 wire, if the outlet has red and black power
wires?

Pop ain't ****, he's just Poop.
Dan C

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:52:50 -0700, G Henslee wrote:

Pop, you don't sound very familiar with electric. What are the odds of a 110
volt range socket, using #6 wire, if the outlet has red and black power

Pop ain't ****, he's just Poop.

But isn't poop a form of ****?

If A = B, and B = C, then A = C.

Linux Registered User #327951

G Henslee

Dan C wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 13:52:50 -0700, G Henslee wrote:

Pop, you don't sound very familiar with electric. What are the odds of a 110
volt range socket, using #6 wire, if the outlet has red and black power

Pop ain't ****, he's just Poop.

But isn't poop a form of ****?

If A = B, and B = C, then A = C.

There are degrees Dan.

Who ever heard of "man i really gotta take a poop"? or "wow, that
scared the poop outa me"? or "hey, you're full of poop"? or "oh poop,
i'm late for a meeting"?

degrees.
David Combs

In article . net,
PipeDown wrote:

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

[...]

(Because it's been a month since this post was posted, I "quote"
the whole history that *this* post had.)

But that scheme requires that you sequentually, randomly, or with some
good guessing, do this for each circuit-breaker, ie turn if off, do
test, then turn back on --

you must first turn off all computers and similar devices, else you
can blow the hard-disks, especially those that were being written-to
when you switched off "its" breaker.

The prior-prior post's suggestion of the (more expensive) RS 2-part
device sure sounds simple, even foolproof!

Having never seen such a device, please tell me, is that true?

What's the downside of that clever-sounding device?

(Before I go off and *buy* one!)

David

John_B

David Combs wrote:
In article . net,
PipeDown wrote:

"Nick Hull" wrote in message

In article ,
"Walter R." wrote:

[...]

I am not sure but this page on the Radio Shack web site might
include it:

http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...3%5F000&Page=1

DJ

snip entire post

Sorry for the OT post, but the subject line made me think of this:

"Chimp in bar telling penguin joke"

http://www.spodefest.net/rmd/download/penquin.htm

DJ