John

Default Chinese granite suitability?

I bought a load of chinese granite "Bianco Cordo" about 1 cm thick 30 cm x 60 cm.

It's polished white/grey granite. They are placed outside where rain, frost and
temperature ranges from -20 (january) to +30 (right now). After having set some
plates I noted the granite plane color change slightly. It was probably mortar
moisture seeping from below. The polished top did to get any moist. Next day the
discoloration has disappeared. It probably just evaporated since its +30
centigrade now.

Will there be problems in winter? Will the granite crack from frost changes? I
thought granite behaves well in winter.
RicodJour

John wrote:
I bought a load of chinese granite "Bianco Cordo" about 1 cm thick 30 cm x 60 cm.

It's polished white/grey granite. They are placed outside where rain, frost and
temperature ranges from -20 (january) to +30 (right now). After having set some
plates I noted the granite plane color change slightly. It was probably mortar
moisture seeping from below. The polished top did to get any moist. Next day the
discoloration has disappeared. It probably just evaporated since its +30
centigrade now.

Will there be problems in winter? Will the granite crack from frost changes? I
thought granite behaves well in winter.

I am not familiar with that particular stone, but all stone reacts
differently. It's not just whether it is granite or not. I know that
some of the Chinese marble has to be installed with epoxy thinset and
not regular as the water content messes it up. Marble is not granite,
but my point is the same. Ask the supplier.

The darkening from the moisture is to be expected in any stone and most
obvious in the lighter colored ones.

John

"RicodJour" wrote:

John wrote:
[...]

The temporary discoloration was hadrly noticeably and it went away quicky so that
was not a problem. I don't want the stones to crack, however. I've spent enough
time in fixing botched jobs from wrong materials.

The seller of the stones was not sure. They too knew anou the marble. Same thing
with some Italian marbles: you have to use same color mortar to be safe.
SQLit

"John" wrote in message
I bought a load of chinese granite "Bianco Cordo" about 1 cm thick 30 cm x

60 cm.

It's polished white/grey granite. They are placed outside where rain,

frost and
temperature ranges from -20 (january) to +30 (right now). After having set

some
plates I noted the granite plane color change slightly. It was probably

mortar
moisture seeping from below. The polished top did to get any moist. Next

day the
discoloration has disappeared. It probably just evaporated since its +30
centigrade now.

Will there be problems in winter? Will the granite crack from frost

changes? I
thought granite behaves well in winter.

Since the tiles darkened, they absorbed water. Bad news when it freezes...
Unless you seal the whole area religiously you might be in trouble. That
might mean every year.

PipeDown

"I thought granite behaves well in winter."

That's where sand comes from. It naturally spalls and erodes from the
surface of granite rocks due to a number of processes of which freeze/thaw
is one.

Not to say your stone will fare poorly, sealing it will help ensure the
surface stays polished. Cracking should only occur if your substrate is
insufficient and moves for amy reason.

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

All of the china marble and granite i have seen is clearly marked as "Indoor
use only". It is low grade and not likely to survive a few freeze thaw
cycles.
DON'T BUY/TRUST ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA!

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"PipeDown" wrote in message
ink.net...
"I thought granite behaves well in winter."

That's where sand comes from. It naturally spalls and erodes from the
surface of granite rocks due to a number of processes of which freeze/thaw
is one.

Not to say your stone will fare poorly, sealing it will help ensure the
surface stays polished. Cracking should only occur if your substrate is
insufficient and moves for amy reason.

RicodJour

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote:
All of the china marble and granite i have seen is clearly marked as "Indoor
use only". It is low grade and not likely to survive a few freeze thaw
cycles.
DON'T BUY/TRUST ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA!

I feel so much better knowing you're an equal opportunity bigot. GFY

RicodJour

Wes Stewart wrote:
On 11 Jul 2005 12:06:45 -0700, "RicodJour"
wrote:

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote:
All of the china marble and granite i have seen is clearly marked as "Indoor
use only". It is low grade and not likely to survive a few freeze thaw
cycles.
DON'T BUY/TRUST ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA!

I feel so much better knowing you're an equal opportunity bigot. GFY

Hey put me in the bigot class will you?

Sorry, you're not in the same group. You're a reasonable man, not some
knee-jerk jerk. Check out the posts that
vomits
on this newsgroup.

G Henslee

wrote:

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote:

All of the china marble and granite i have seen is clearly marked as "Indoor
use only". It is low grade and not likely to survive a few freeze thaw
cycles.
DON'T BUY/TRUST ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA!

I feel so much better knowing you're an equal opportunity bigot. GFY

Hey put me in the bigot class will you?

If it wasn't pathetic it would be funny. Everyone shopping at
Wal-Mart, HD, Lowes, etc. for made-in-China-crap thinks they're a
smart shopper. Then they go fill up with gas and bitch like hell
because the price is too high and complain about the high cost of
housing.

Newsflash: the prices of oil, lumber, Portland cement, etc. are all
being driven by Chinese demand.

Buy Chinese goods, pay for them at the pump.

Everyone but you, right? Give it a rest.

Fred

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in
message .. .
All of the china marble and granite i have seen is clearly marked as
"Indoor
use only". It is low grade and not likely to survive a few freeze thaw
cycles.

How would mother nature know to make inferior rocks in China and superior
rocks everywhere else?

DON'T BUY/TRUST ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA!

Much of everything is manufactured in China, even some of the US flags and
US military uniforms if I'm not mistaken. Not everything made in China is
bad, some of the tools are actually pretty good and unbeatable at its price
point. In some ways our standard of living is better because of the cheap
labor but at the expense of factory jobs. I like to bring back manufacturing
to America as much as the next guy but how do you complete when our labor
rates are so much higher and our quality control, pride and workmanship are
not what is used to be and on top of all this stifled by laws, regulations,
politicians and corporate greed to save a buck or two?

Doug Miller

In article , "Fred" wrote:

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in
message .. .
All of the china marble and granite i have seen is clearly marked as
"Indoor
use only". It is low grade and not likely to survive a few freeze thaw
cycles.

How would mother nature know to make inferior rocks in China and superior
rocks everywhere else?

On top of that... I have to wonder how the hell a ROCK can be "indoor use
only".

OTOH, there is one plausible answer to your question: rocks are the same
everywhere, but defects may be less likely to be discarded (i.e. more likely
to be brought to market) under the Communist economic model (which has been
shown in the past to have far less stringent quality standards than the
capitalist model).

--
Regards,

I like to bring back manufacturing
to America as much as the next guy but how do you complete when our labor
rates are so much higher and our quality control, pride and workmanship are
not what is used to be and on top of all this stifled by laws, regulations,
politicians and corporate greed to save a buck or two?

We can start by spending within our mean.

If US government insists on spending a lot of money and refuses to
increase tax, they will have to borrow a lot of money from aboard. And
keeping the US dollar very strong is a way to attract foreigners to buy
US government debt (then they don't need to increase the interest rate
very high). Unfortunately, strong US dollars mean high cost of anything
produced in US that has any labor content in it, and this results with
losing a lot of manufacturing jobs. This strong US dollars strategy is
a sword that cuts two ways. This means we need to get off from this
strong US dollar train, and this means foreigners will less likely to
buy US government debts, and this also means we need to cut spending or
raise tax or both.

Of course, I don't like high tax rate just as much as anyone else. This
means we need to cut a lot of spending and cut it very deeply and
across the board. And for doing this, we don't need to beg foreign
countries to do this and that; this is totally under US control to cut
OUR OWN spending.

Jay Chan

G Henslee

Wes Stewart wrote:

Here in the desert southwest a common landscaping material in lieu of
grass lawns is "decomposed granite." Every rock and sand yard has it
for sale in various colors and sizes. Since the last ice age, I don't
believe there has ever been a freeze thaw cycle here. [g]

DG is used a lot for driveways in lieu of ashpalt or concrete around
these parts. Poor man's driveway.

Road base is used as well because DG is higher in price. Both work
well as they harden up pretty good with rain.

David Combs

In article ,
Wes Stewart wrote:

Newsflash: the prices of oil, lumber, Portland cement, etc. are all
being driven by Chinese demand.

Buy Chinese goods, pay for them at the pump.

Too true -- and not at all funny.

Far, FAR worse is that fact that with all the money
we send them for their goods:

.. They get to build up their military, with which
before long they'll be able to drive us out of that
part of the Pacific -- and nearby regions of Asia.

.. It's suicide in not just the above way, but also
that all that money will eventually get them all driving
cars, polluting even worse than they are now, and
we over here will also be breathing it!

And trying to survive the rising ocean-levels and
everything else that comes from advancing the
global warming by what, 20 or 30 years?

David