DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   troubleshooting --- no electrical current (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/112295-troubleshooting-no-electrical-current.html)

[email protected] July 6th 05 04:37 PM

troubleshooting --- no electrical current

Here's the scenario:
The bathroom light does not work. The problem must be a blown fuse, the
light switch, or the florescent light fixture. Upon a closer look. I
found both the circuit breaker and light switch to be okay. I also
discovered that there's no electrical current coming from the 2 wires
that are connected to the switch. So what do you think is the problem
is?

Duane Bozarth July 6th 05 04:42 PM

wrote:

Here's the scenario:
The bathroom light does not work. The problem must be a blown fuse, the
light switch, or the florescent light fixture. Upon a closer look. I
found both the circuit breaker and light switch to be okay. I also
discovered that there's no electrical current coming from the 2 wires
that are connected to the switch. So what do you think is the problem
is?

Break in a conductor someplace between last feed point and the switch.
Is there power to the switch? Is the feed through the switch or the
fixture? Either way, you've lost a feed or ground connection at the
last point in the chain prior to where you're testing.

MLD July 6th 05 04:50 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here's the scenario:
The bathroom light does not work. The problem must be a blown fuse, the
light switch, or the florescent light fixture. Upon a closer look. I
found both the circuit breaker and light switch to be okay. I also
discovered that there's no electrical current coming from the 2 wires
that are connected to the switch. So what do you think is the problem
is?

Have you tried a new bulb? How did you verify that the switch is good? Are
you getting 110 volts at both terminals of the switch and can you make one
terminal (the one going to the fixture) go to zero by turning the switch
off, or if you shorted both sides of the switch does the light come on? Not
advocating that you do this if you're not experienced dealing with
electricity. How did you determine that there was no electrical current?
MLD

Mark July 6th 05 04:54 PM

MLD wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Is there a GFI in line?

Mark

Mikepier July 6th 05 04:56 PM

Check if thers a GFI outlet in the bathroom somewhere and make sure
it's not tripped.

[email protected] July 6th 05 04:58 PM

Check for a GFCI outlet that's tripped, either in this bathroom or
another location upstream, eg another bathroom.

Joseph Meehan July 6th 05 05:00 PM

wrote:
Here's the scenario:
The bathroom light does not work. The problem must be a blown fuse,
the light switch, or the florescent light fixture.

Or a couple of others, but you covered most of them.

Upon a closer
look. I found both the circuit breaker and light switch to be okay.

Exactly how did you check them?

also discovered that there's no electrical current coming from the 2
wires that are connected to the switch.

Exactly how did you check that.

Normally there will be two wires to a switch, but to determine if they
are live, you need to compare them to the other side of the circuit. Both
wires at the switch are the same as one wire on the light, but not the
other. They should be black or red. The other side should be white.

So what do you think is the
problem is?

As I said there are many other possibilities including odd in wall
wiring that may have failed. Tracking down more than you said you checked
could be difficult and would be unusual and maybe dangerous to even look for
if you don't know what to look for and how to stay safe.

So let us know more about how you checked what you checked.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Lawrence Wasserman July 6th 05 06:49 PM

In article .com,
wrote:
Here's the scenario:
The bathroom light does not work. The problem must be a blown fuse, the
light switch, or the florescent light fixture. Upon a closer look. I
found both the circuit breaker and light switch to be okay. I also
discovered that there's no electrical current coming from the 2 wires
that are connected to the switch. So what do you think is the problem
is?

burned out bulb?

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Stormin Mormon July 9th 05 02:36 AM

How do you know the CB and the switch are OK?

Electrical current is amperage. To get current, you need a load. Voltage is
what most folks read with a VOM. You can read voltage if there is no load.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus