DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Should I prime interior latex paint? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/112222-should-i-prime-interior-latex-paint.html)

Bruce K. July 4th 05 12:46 PM

Should I prime interior latex paint?

I'm painting a piece of unfinished wood (birch) furniture with latex
semigloss.

Should I first use a primer.

Thanks,

Bruce

Hopkins July 4th 05 01:34 PM

Yes, prime.

Jim85CJ July 4th 05 03:49 PM

is it ever a bad idea to prime?

George E. Cawthon July 4th 05 07:45 PM

Bruce K. wrote:
I'm painting a piece of unfinished wood (birch) furniture with latex
semigloss.

Should I first use a primer.

Thanks,

Bruce

No. You shouldn't paint any furniture with latex
paint.

But if you insist, then yes, you need a primer
first to be sure the next coat of latex paint will
stick.

Hopkins July 5th 05 01:34 AM

is it ever a bad idea to prime?

No, though sometimes unnecessary.

No. You shouldn't paint any furniture with latex paint.

I would agree with that but there are some new latexes that work well
for painting furniture.

Norminn July 5th 05 12:45 PM

Bruce K. wrote:
I'm painting a piece of unfinished wood (birch) furniture with latex
semigloss.

Should I first use a primer.

Thanks,

Bruce

Yes, prime. I would use alkyd semi-gloss paint on wood, not latex.

dadiOH July 5th 05 01:25 PM

Bruce K. wrote:
I'm painting a piece of unfinished wood (birch) furniture with latex
semigloss.

gag

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Norminn July 5th 05 01:38 PM

Norminn wrote:

Bruce K. wrote:

I'm painting a piece of unfinished wood (birch) furniture with latex
semigloss.

Should I first use a primer.

Thanks,

Bruce

Yes, prime. I would use alkyd semi-gloss paint on wood, not latex.

Explanation: I prefer alkyd to latex for surfaces that get heavy use
because latex is a softer finish and stains more easilly. Cleanup is a
tad more work, but very little difference in application. Latex stains
easily with some inks and food colorants. As far as I know, wood should
always have a primer for any kind of painted coating. Choose a good
brand at a paint store and the paint label will indicate proper prep.

Only time I would not prime wood is when a "pickled" finish is used.
Pickled finishes are better for open grain wood, like oak or ash. I did
such a finish on oak using slightly thinned oil paint, with clear coat
on top, which got the icky yellow out of old oak. Very pretty.

Stormin Mormon July 6th 05 02:23 AM

Ask the Fed for the prime rate.

--

Christopher A. Young