DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   gfci question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/112170-gfci-question.html)

sligo July 1st 05 11:31 PM

gfci question

Will subject device trip on a short as well as a ground fault?
Seamus J. Wilson

Banister Stairwell July 2nd 05 12:27 AM

"sligo" wrote in message
Will subject device trip on a short as well as a ground fault?
Seamus J. Wilson

Hi Seamus,

The information presented here should help answer your question.

http://www.codecheck.com/gfci_principal.htm

Tim Fischer July 2nd 05 04:01 AM

"sligo" wrote in message
Will subject device trip on a short as well as a ground fault?
Seamus J. Wilson

I suppose anything's possible, but I would say no. A short is not a ground
fault.

I've shorted GFCI circuits in the past and the outlet has never tripped.

-Tim

Jeff Wisnia July 2nd 05 04:37 AM

sligo wrote:
Will subject device trip on a short as well as a ground fault?
Seamus J. Wilson

If it's a GFCI "outlet" it shouldn't if the short is only between hot
and neutral.

If its a GFCI "breaker" in a panel, then it of should trip on a short of
low enough impedance to cause the current to exceeed the breaker's trip
level.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia