DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Lawnmower modification? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/112148-lawnmower-modification.html)

PaPaPeng July 1st 05 01:43 AM

Lawnmower modification?

I have a walk behind gas lawnmower with a belt drive. Love it.
However I dislike it for often clogging with grass and I dislike
having to empty the rear bag every 10 minutes or so. My solution is
to use a crossbar to prop the rear chute cover partly open whereby it
discharges the grass out and downward back onto the lawn. That way I
can make an uninterrupted pass to cut the grass until the gas tank
empties. My lawn size is two tanks of gas and 2 plus hours of work. I
leave the grass to dry for a few days, rake them and it fills around
9 large garbage bags. Its a lot of work for one guy my age.

I am thinking of modifying a lawnmower blade so that it functions as a
propeller type device to pick up the dried cut grass and fling them
into the rear bagger. My current idea is to bolt or rivet a backward
pitched paddle on the upper side of the blade. It will work (?) like
the impeller in a vacuum motor. Has anyone done this before? Any
other suggestions as to making such a modification?

m Ransley July 1st 05 02:04 AM

You should realy try a mulching mower, so much easier, one pass and you
are done.

Duane Bozarth July 1st 05 02:05 AM

PaPaPeng wrote:
I am thinking of modifying a lawnmower blade so that it functions as a
propeller type device to pick up the dried cut grass and fling them
into the rear bagger. ...

Just buy a high lift blade of the right size...

Joseph Meehan July 1st 05 02:19 AM

m Ransley wrote:
You should realy try a mulching mower, so much easier, one pass and
you are done.

I also vote for this one. Not only that, you can save on fertilizer.
All those grass clippings you are throwing out is great organic matter to
build the soil and contains much of the fertilizer you put down during the
year.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Luke July 1st 05 02:48 AM

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 01:19:06 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

m Ransley wrote:
You should realy try a mulching mower, so much easier, one pass and
you are done.

I also vote for this one. Not only that, you can save on fertilizer.
All those grass clippings you are throwing out is great organic matter to
build the soil and contains much of the fertilizer you put down during the
year.

Good advice, maybe more expensive initially than a new blade or
jerry-rigged device, but more economical and practical in the long
run.

--
Luke

Edwin Pawlowski July 1st 05 03:10 AM

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message
However I dislike it for often clogging with grass and I dislike
having to empty the rear bag every 10 minutes or so. My solution is
to use a crossbar to prop the rear chute cover partly open whereby it

Mulching blade. I've not raked or bagged in 23 years. Works for leaves
also.

Mark July 1st 05 03:41 AM

to the op

beware if you try to rivet or bolt anything onto a lawn mower blade,
there will be a tremendous force on it when it is spinning, if a bolt
or rivet breaks or lets go you could be seriously hurt.

I would NOT do it.

Mark

Hound Dog July 1st 05 04:02 AM

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

[...]

Buy a mulching mower. If you can, get a personal pace model.

They're a lot easier on older guys like us.

Pagan July 1st 05 10:55 PM

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

[...]

I wouldn't monkey with the blade. If it's not properly balanced, you'll
wear out your motor bearings quickly.

You should try running your mower over the dead grass anyway. It should
pick it up.

Otherwise, you might want to consider a riding mower, or as others have
suggested, a mulching mower. Or, if you really want to modify something,
try removing the entire bagging assembly and blocking off the hole. Throw
in a new blade, 'mulching' or otherwise, and you should be set.

Pagan

Tony Hwang March 28th 09 01:07 AM

Lawnmower modification?

Pagan wrote:
[...]