DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   window air conditioner drips a LOT of water (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/112146-window-air-conditioner-drips-lot-water.html)

HvacTech2 June 30th 05 06:31 PM

Hi Ryan, hope you are having a nice day

On 30-Jun-05 At About 16:00:00, Ryan Meier wrote to All
Subject: window air conditioner drips a LOT of water

RM From: Ryan Meier

RM Hello

RM I live in a fairly old apartment building that only has a single
RM window air conditioner. The air it outputs into my apartment is cold
RM and it does a good job keeping my apartment cool. But it does drip
RM a great deal of water out of the external vent, and I'd like to know
RM if this means that the unit is inefficient, is being run too much,
RM etc.

Most newer units use the condensate water to make them more efficient by
slinging it onto the condenser coil. so they are also dehumidifying as well
but you just don't see as much water draining.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "I bought instant water but I don't know what to add..."- s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

HvacTech2 June 30th 05 06:36 PM

Hi cowboy, hope you are having a nice day

On 30-Jun-05 At About 09:02:51, cowboy wrote to All

c From: "cowboy"

c I'd like to know if this means that the unit is inefficient,
is being run too much, etc.

c It means that it is working great (better than the neighbor's units)
c and it also means that you are in a very humid area

If you knew anything about A/C you would know that the newer Window units
Have a slinger for the condensate water and use it to improve efficiency.
so they are working as well as his but they are running more efficiently

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "As far as I'm concerned, the ends justify the means." - Calvin

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail

Ryan Meier June 30th 05 10:00 PM

window air conditioner drips a LOT of water

Hello

I live in a fairly old apartment building that only has a single
window air conditioner. The air it outputs into my apartment is cold
and it does a good job keeping my apartment cool. But it does drip a
great deal of water out of the external vent, and I'd like to know if
this means that the unit is inefficient, is being run too much, etc.

The unit was made by GE and runs off of a 240-volt electric outlet.
It's fairly heavy-duty looking, similar to an A/C unit you might see
in a hotel or motel. It's a heater as well; that part worked fine too
last winter, but without all the dripping.

The A/C units of my neighboring tenants don't seem to drip nearly as
much. I didn't live here last summer so I can't compare it that way.

I generally run it when temperatures get above 90 degrees Fahrenheit,
or the humidity is high. Which is common around here, from mid-May
through the end of September days with high temperatures and high
humidity will be nearly every day.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

cowboy June 30th 05 11:02 PM

I'd like to know if
this means that the unit is inefficient, is being run too much, etc.

It means that it is working great (better than the neighbor's units) and it
also means that you are in a very humid area

TURTLE June 30th 05 11:25 PM

"Ryan Meier" wrote in message
Hello

[...]

This is Turtle.

By What i have heard so far , I don't see anything wrong with the system.

TURTLE

RicodJour June 30th 05 11:40 PM

cowboy wrote:
I'd like to know if
this means that the unit is inefficient, is being run too much, etc.

It means that it is working great (better than the neighbor's units) and it
also means that you are in a very humid area

And it also means he is running it intermittantly. The humidity in the
house climbs back up - repeat cycle.

[email protected] July 1st 05 10:17 AM

RicodJour wrote:

And it also means he is running it intermittantly. The humidity in the
house climbs back up - repeat cycle.

Or it runs continuously, with lots of house air leakage.

Nick

Vic Dura July 1st 05 11:55 AM

On Wed, 30 Jun 2005 18:36:20 , in alt.home.repair window air
conditioner drips a LOT of water "HvacTech2"
wrote:

newer Window units
Have a slinger for the condensate water and use it to improve efficiency.

Do any central a/c units use this method to improve efficiency? If
not, I wonder why?

HeatMan July 1st 05 12:26 PM

wrote:

newer Window units
Have a slinger for the condensate water and use it to improve efficiency.

Do any central a/c units use this method to improve efficiency? If
not, I wonder why?

There's several reasons they don't, IMO. First and foremost (to me) is that
the condensate doesn't alway go out near the condensing unit.