Harry Muscle

Default Ontario Building & Plumbing Codes Simplified

I'm going to be doing some renovations in my home and would like to
make sure I do everything to code (I live in Ontario, Canada, so this
would be the Ontario Code). I'm currently reading thru the "Electrical
Code Simplified - Residental Wiring, Ontario Edition" book (it's the
yellow book ...) and it's wonderful, just what I need to rewire the
house (with the help of an electrician).

Now I'm hoping to get similiar information about the Ontario building
code ... I'm not building a house, just need the simplified version of
it ... R values, drywall thickness, stud size, etc. Is there an
"Ontario Building Code Simplified" type of book that I can purchase, if
so what's it called. If not, what's the best way to learn the basic
code to help me renovate some parts of the house up to code (preferable
without spending a couple hundred on the actual code books)

I'm also interesting in a simplified version of the Ontario plumbing
code, since I'll be moving some plumbing around in the kitchen when it
get's renovated.

Thanks,
Harry

Doug B Taylor

Hi Harry -

I'm also in Ontario----

I am not aware of any books for the building code or plumbing that are
similar to the Electrical Code Simplified.

You really should get a copy of the OBC (Ontario Building Code) which covers
MANY aspects of residential construction in Ontario, including plumbing,
fire safety, etc etc.

The OBC is not really THAT technical that an intelligent person would be
unable to figure out what is required to meet code. In many cases you can
figure out what is required by reading the OBC and talking to some of the
more knowledgeable staff at you local hardware/building supply store.

The Canada Mortgage and Housing website also has a good amount of
information and suggested methods for residential housing/renovations.

In addition, you can check the NRC (National Research Council) web site for
construction methods and information on a variety of residential
construction methods and materials.

Good luck,

Doug Taylor

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Okoidogo@@hotmail.com

Suggest you check your local library for the Guide to the Building
codes - both the OBC and the NBC have explainatory Guides. You may
also find lots of home renovation books that will discuss relevant
building regulation issues.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:43:18 -0400, "Doug B Taylor"
wrote:

[...]

roups.com...
[...]

Harry Muscle

I'm thinking I'm just gonna fork over the money for a copy of the
"Illustration Guide to the Ontario Building Code". I'm assuming it's
going to be easier to understand than the "Ontario Building Code" book.
Has anyone used the "Illustrated Guide" before? Is it good? Online
it mentions it only covers section 3, 7, 9, and 11 of the Building
Code, which sections are those?

Thanks,
Harry

Waldo

Harry, the Guide to the OBC may not be what you think it is. Unless
you have a copy and a good understanding of the OBC it will not be a
lot of use to you. The guide is intended to compliment the OBC and
essentially illustrates and explains various sections and subsections
that may not be clear in their meaning and intent as written. The
guide is a useful publication, but only if used in conjunction with
the OBC.

Harry Muscle wrote:
I'm thinking I'm just gonna fork over the money for a copy of the
"Illustration Guide to the Ontario Building Code". I'm assuming it's
going to be easier to understand than the "Ontario Building Code" book.
Has anyone used the "Illustrated Guide" before? Is it good? Online
it mentions it only covers section 3, 7, 9, and 11 of the Building
Code, which sections are those?

Thanks,
Harry

Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Harry Muscle ) said...

I'm thinking I'm just gonna fork over the money for a copy of the
"Illustration Guide to the Ontario Building Code". I'm assuming it's
going to be easier to understand than the "Ontario Building Code" book.
Has anyone used the "Illustrated Guide" before? Is it good? Online
it mentions it only covers section 3, 7, 9, and 11 of the Building
Code, which sections are those?

Section 3: Use and Occupancy
Section 7: Plumbing
Section 9: Housing and Small Buildings
Section 11: Renovation

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

S.Allard had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ied-64913-.htm
:
Harry, did you get any value out of the Illustrated Guide to the Ontario
Building Code? I may be interested in buying if you are finished using it.

Harry Muscle wrote:

[...]

alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.con sumers.house - messages and counting!