DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Where the wall meets the carpet (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/112109-re-where-wall-meets-carpet.html)

Robert Allison June 29th 05 03:22 AM

Where the wall meets the carpet

DaveC wrote:

The house is being remodeled. Carpet and tack strips were torn up last week.

I removed the molding along the walls in the living room. Now it's time to
put it back.

I notice that in other rooms, the molding is not completely down to the
concrete slab, but sits up about 1/2-3/4 inch. Is this a standard
measurement?

Should I put it down now, or will the carpet installers take all moldings off
and put them back after laying down the carpet?

Thanks,

Put it down now. If it is small baseboard (2-1/4" to 3-1/2"
tall), then raise it off the floor by about 1/2". If it is
taller, you can put it right on the floor.

The carpet guys are going to do nothing but put in the carpet
and mark up your baseboard with their tools. Be prepared to
do some touch up on the finish.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

RicodJour June 29th 05 06:53 AM

DaveC wrote:
The house is being remodeled. Carpet and tack strips were torn up last week.

I removed the molding along the walls in the living room. Now it's time to
put it back.

I notice that in other rooms, the molding is not completely down to the
concrete slab, but sits up about 1/2-3/4 inch. Is this a standard
measurement?

Should I put it down now, or will the carpet installers take all moldings off
and put them back after laying down the carpet?

Thanks,

This question comes up repeatedly in these two newsgroups, amongst
others. You're saying that you Googled, and checked the groups tab and
didn't find your answer?? That's very odd - I found lots for the first
search term that popped into my head: baseboard carpet raised.
http://tinyurl.com/8xne7

DKid June 29th 05 01:13 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:42:51 -0700, DaveC wrote:

The house is being remodeled. Carpet and tack strips were torn up last week.

I removed the molding along the walls in the living room. Now it's time to
put it back.

I notice that in other rooms, the molding is not completely down to the
concrete slab, but sits up about 1/2-3/4 inch. Is this a standard
measurement?

Should I put it down now, or will the carpet installers take all moldings off
and put them back after laying down the carpet?

Thanks,

Next time, leave the molding alone. It doesn't need to be removed
for flooring or wall finishing.

calhoun June 29th 05 10:02 PM

If you are reinstalling carpet leave it up off the floor (like it was). The
carpet installer will thank you. Carpet goes over the tack strip then tucked
under the base.

"DaveC" wrote in message
news.net...
The house is being remodeled. Carpet and tack strips were torn up last
week.

I removed the molding along the walls in the living room. Now it's time to
put it back.

I notice that in other rooms, the molding is not completely down to the
concrete slab, but sits up about 1/2-3/4 inch. Is this a standard
measurement?

Should I put it down now, or will the carpet installers take all moldings
off
and put them back after laying down the carpet?

Thanks,

DaveC

This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group