DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Removing poly tubing crimp rings (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/111940-removing-poly-tubing-crimp-rings.html)

Jerry Flanders June 22nd 05 08:54 PM

Removing poly tubing crimp rings

Anybody know how to loosen/remove the aluminum crimp rings that clamp
the tubing to the tee fittings?

I have to replace a section of 1/2" polybutylene water line in my
camper. This is the gray stuff used years ago (camper is 1991 model)
and a piece of it is leaking. I can't seem to stop the leak, so I am
ready to just replace the section of tubing. I don't see a way to
remove those aluminum crimp rings.

Ideas?

TIA

Jerry

Stretch June 22nd 05 09:50 PM

Jerry,

The tubing almost never leaks. The usual problem is that the aluminum
crimp rings fatigue over time and allow leaks where the tubing connects
to the fittings. The other problem is that they often used acetyl
fittings (grey plastic) instead of copper or brass barbed fittings.
Cut the aluminum crimp rings with a dremel tool most of the way
through, use a flat blade screwdriver in a twisting motion to finish
it. Then use Qest Quick-Tite compression fittings to replace the old
fittings.

Stretch

Brian June 24th 05 03:01 PM

1) Cut it off and replace it with Quest compression tee.
( Don't use those for your house, but they ok for campers)

2) "Ring busters" are available, but they main goal is to
save the fittings ( you don't need one )

3) It is easy to replace PB with new PEX and most places
carry PEX to PB adapters. PEX is just as flexible as PB,
and have similiar flow. So replacing PB with PEX is no brainer.

Brian