Default Lawn mower starting.

Yesterday the mower appeared to need oil.
I added some. Maybe too much.
Also gassed it.
Did the usual starting three pumps on primer button and pulled.
It fired for about two putts, with a puff of blue smoke, then died.
I tried and could not get it going. Pulled plug and wiped it off - it
appeared oily.
Tried again an hour later still no joy.
Am hoping it will be OK in AM, but am looking for advice (plug is new
this year)
Motor is 6HP B&S.
Any ideas?

TIA

LB

cowboy

do these 4 before attempting restart:

empty gas, replace with fresh gas
empty oil, refill to CORRECT level
install a new plug, properly gapped to B&S spec.
pray

wrote in message ...
Yesterday the mower appeared to need oil.
I added some. Maybe too much.
Also gassed it.
Did the usual starting three pumps on primer button and pulled.
It fired for about two putts, with a puff of blue smoke, then died.
I tried and could not get it going. Pulled plug and wiped it off - it
appeared oily.
Tried again an hour later still no joy.
Am hoping it will be OK in AM, but am looking for advice (plug is new
this year)
Motor is 6HP B&S.
Any ideas?

TIA

LB

Will try #4 first, thank you:-))

LB

Rick

wrote in message
Yesterday the mower appeared to need oil.
I added some. Maybe too much.
Also gassed it.
Did the usual starting three pumps on primer button and pulled.
It fired for about two putts, with a puff of blue smoke, then died.
I tried and could not get it going. Pulled plug and wiped it off -

it
appeared oily.
Tried again an hour later still no joy.
Am hoping it will be OK in AM, but am looking for advice (plug is

new
this year)
Motor is 6HP B&S.
Any ideas?

TIA

LB

The usual basicsull the plug and check for spark, too much or too
little fuel...

Bob

wrote in message ...
Yesterday the mower appeared to need oil.
I added some. Maybe too much.
Also gassed it.
Did the usual starting three pumps on primer button and pulled.
It fired for about two putts, with a puff of blue smoke, then died.
I tried and could not get it going. Pulled plug and wiped it off - it
appeared oily.
Tried again an hour later still no joy.
Am hoping it will be OK in AM, but am looking for advice (plug is new
this year)
Motor is 6HP B&S.
Any ideas?

In the process of doing whatever you did, did you tip the mower in the
direction of the carburator? (Air intake side) If so, oil probably ran out
through and pooled in the carburator and air cleaner. Check for a very oily
air filter. Clean/replace as needed. Clean the plug by swishing it in a
little gas or solvent, then replace.

Bob

you didnt say how over full you got it on the dipstick, if its way
overfull the oil will go past the gaps it the piston rings to get on top
of the piston. so getting the right level first ,,, then get it running
may be tough with oil on the piston top,a brief shot some starting
fluid may help. lucas

Thanks to all that replied.

After screwing around for a couple of hours - mostly on the web at B & S
site - and cleaning off outside of engine to get model number, I finally
located the air filter (DUH). Totally clogged. Started engine for 30
seconds without filter and it started right up. Am off to buy a new filter.

Again thanks to all who offered help.

LB

No

Mine has it. Its a 6.5HP Briggs 4 cycle.

I do have one question. This is a four cycle mower (you don't mix gas
and oil) and it has a primer button? Is that common?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

No wrote:

Mine has it. Its a 6.5HP Briggs 4 cycle.

I do have one question. This is a four cycle mower (you don't mix gas
and oil) and it has a primer button? Is that common?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

As I posted, the problem was a clogged air filter. All better now.

LB