DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   "Linoleum over ceramic tiles" (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/111856-%22linoleum-over-ceramic-tiles%22.html)

Zippertail June 19th 05 09:41 PM

"Linoleum over ceramic tiles"

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to redo our small basement bathroom. The
existing floor is horrible pink ceramic tiles over concrete, and we are
thinking of putting down Linoleum self sticking tiles. I am toying with
the idea of gluing down a sheet of 1/4 inch hardboard over the ceramic
tiles and sticking down the lino on that......any thoughts??????

Zippertail

G Henslee June 19th 05 09:59 PM

Zippertail wrote:
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to redo our small basement bathroom. The
existing floor is horrible pink ceramic tiles over concrete, and we are
thinking of putting down Linoleum self sticking tiles. I am toying with
the idea of gluing down a sheet of 1/4 inch hardboard over the ceramic
tiles and sticking down the lino on that......any thoughts??????

Zippertail

Faulty idea. Chances are the junkboard will come loose and you'll have
a mess.

RicodJour June 19th 05 10:08 PM

Zippertail wrote:

My wife and I are planning to redo our small basement bathroom. The
existing floor is horrible pink ceramic tiles over concrete, and we are
thinking of putting down Linoleum self sticking tiles. I am toying with
the idea of gluing down a sheet of 1/4 inch hardboard over the ceramic
tiles and sticking down the lino on that......any thoughts??????

If the existing tile is in good shape, why not just set ceramic tile
over the existing?

Colbyt June 19th 05 10:53 PM

"Zippertail" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to redo our small basement bathroom. The
existing floor is horrible pink ceramic tiles over concrete, and we are
thinking of putting down Linoleum self sticking tiles. I am toying with
the idea of gluing down a sheet of 1/4 inch hardboard over the ceramic
tiles and sticking down the lino on that......any thoughts??????

Zippertail

I'll try to answer your question.

If the floor is really smooth just lay your peel and sticks on the existing
tile job. If not you can use a cement based floor leveler to fill in the
grout lines and get a really smooth surface. The smoother, cleaner and dust
free your installation surface the longer your tiles will last.

I am not a fan of the peel and stick guys. You will be better off installing
over clean dry ceramic tile than installing it over crap-board. These guys
tend to come unstuck in wet areas like a bathroom. Make sure you buy enough
to have a few spare tile.

Colbyt

SQLit June 20th 05 12:45 AM

"Zippertail" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to redo our small basement bathroom. The
existing floor is horrible pink ceramic tiles over concrete, and we are
thinking of putting down Linoleum self sticking tiles. I am toying with
the idea of gluing down a sheet of 1/4 inch hardboard over the ceramic
tiles and sticking down the lino on that......any thoughts??????

Zippertail

Peal and Stick works best with an flat surface. Is you floor flat?

1/4 inch hard board will break when I walk on it if there any gaps or voids.
Besides your going to loose some height, which can cause other issues.

Tile comes out really easy. Big hammer and chisel, flat shovel and some
buckets or a wheel barrow.

Just how are you going to trim the toilet?

C & M June 20th 05 03:56 AM

Yup, you should remove the tile and do it right. Put the sweat into it now
or you're sure to have to do it again later. Skim coats crack and don't
have good adhesion to the tiles and you have the whole issue of build up
which will require re-setting the toilet with an extension. Bite the bullet
and tear into it.