Wayne Boatwright

Default Compact Flourescent Floodlight Bulbs

Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate standard
incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical consumption and
heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but have not used them
before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-5, 06/17/2005
Tested on: 6/17/2005 10:23:13 PM

Dennis Turner

On 6/18/2005 12:26 AM or thereabouts, Wayne Boatwright appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate standard
incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical consumption and
heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but have not used them
before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

TIA

I have them in my kitchen. The heat output is noticeably lower than the
incandescents. Electrical consumption is rather substantially lower as
well, but we're not talking about a huge savings here. Maybe a couple of
bucks a year. If you decide to use these you will want to experiment
with different brands as the quality of light is rather variable. I have
settled on the GE as offering the color temperature that suits my taste
best, but your mileage may vary.

--
I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
Joseph Meehan

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate
standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical
consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but
have not used them before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

TIA

Good light, but may be a little odd color for food prep. Most offer
good light however. They are not as bad as many of the older lights. I
tend to mix some incandescent along with the cfs in the bath and kitchen.
You might try using all cf and see how you like the color.

Much less energy usage and less heat. Good even light and long life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Alan

On 18 Jun 2005 07:26:29 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate standard
incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical consumption and
heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but have not used them
before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

I dislike them because of slow start, odd look and strange color
light.
PHIL

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate
standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical
consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but
have not used them before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

TIA

Shop around. There are different types of cf lights. Some are instant-on
other will take a couple seconds to turn on. They are available in
different temperatures (degrees Kelvin, which makes the color of light
displayed) depending on what they will be used for. They generate less heat
and last several times longer. You will SAVE MONEY as they will more than
pay for themselves over the life of the bulb in energy saved.

~~Phil~~

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Joseph Meehan

wrote:

Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate
standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical
consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but
have not used them before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

I dislike them because of slow start, odd look and strange color
light.

You make a good point about the slow start, some are, or at least were.
All of them I have bought recently have been fast starters. They also have
had good color qualities. In fact they color is so good I chose them (mixed
with some incandescent) for my bathroom light because of the quality.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Paul A

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans ...........

incandescents. Electrical consumption is rather substantially lower as
well, but we're not talking about a huge savings here. Maybe a couple of
bucks a year. .................................................. ......

--
I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Lets see : say 23 watts instead of 100 for 6 lights, perhaps 8 hours a day,
every day, $0.12 a KWH

(100-23)*6*8*365*.12/1000 = $161 a year. YMMV

Pat

I found that the remote switches do not work either.

Beachcomber

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:05:12 -0700, "Pat"
wrote:

I found that the remote switches do not work either.

Just like regular fluorescents, the CF lamps have a color temperature
and a CRI (Color Rendition Index).

For most kitchens, if you like to see the real color of the raw red
meat you are cooking and make it appealing, you would pick a lower
color temperature lamp (2500-3500 K) which emphasized the red light
and the highest CRI you can find. The same applies to regular linear
fluorescents although, these are easier to get. GE clearly labels one
of their lines "for kitchens and bathrooms".

5000 K daylight lamps are used for photography and are bluish in
color. Generally these would not be appropriate for a kitchen unless
you are going for some unique architectural lighting scheme.

The highest color temperature CF lamps I could find in regular stock
are 6500 K which are extremely blue. I use them outdoors because they
look cool.

Beachcomber

cowboy

every day, $0.12 a KWH

OUCH!

we pay 7 cents here!

people up north get screwed on utilities!

Dennis Turner

On 6/18/2005 10:33 AM or thereabouts, Paul A appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans ...........

incandescents. Electrical consumption is rather substantially lower as
well, but we're not talking about a huge savings here. Maybe a couple of
bucks a year. .................................................. ......

--
I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Lets see : say 23 watts instead of 100 for 6 lights, perhaps 8 hours a day,
every day, $0.12 a KWH

(100-23)*6*8*365*.12/1000 = $161 a year. YMMV

Having not done the math . . . I stand corrected. Electricity is a bit
less around here, but the savings are still fairly substantial. Thanks

--
I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.
Marilyn & Bob

You need to get a remote switch that is designed for fluorescents. These
types of switches require a neutral connection at the switch. If you don't
have a neutral at the switchbox, they will not work.

The remote switch will work if you have at least one incandescent bulb that
is controlled by the switch, so if you use a mixture of incandescent and
fluorescent bulbs as suggested by Joseph Meehan, a standard remote switch
will work. This setup works because a standard (2 wire) remote switch
requires a trickle current on the circuit. That trickle current can pass
through an incandescent bulb, but not through a CF, but since the lights in
the circuit are wired in parallel, a single incandescent bulb in the
circuit will provide that trickle current.

Lastly note that CF floods are often somewhat longer than incandescent
floods and may stick out from the can.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Pat" wrote in message
I found that the remote switches do not work either.

Gordon Reeder

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate
standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical
consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but
have not used them before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

TIA

If you mean the ones that look like flood lights with the
bell shaped housing: Don't bother. The housing serves no
purpose and causes the bulb to retain heat. I had a pair that
didn't last even two years. I replaced them with standard
swirl bulbs and they have been going great for several years.

--
Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
Gordon Reeder

Hey EVERYBODY!
Unity means let's try to meet each other halfway
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 18 Jun 2005 04:06:48a, Joseph Meehan wrote in alt.home.repair:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate
standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical
consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but
have not used them before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

TIA

Good light, but may be a little odd color for food prep. Most offer
good light however. They are not as bad as many of the older lights. I
tend to mix some incandescent along with the cfs in the bath and kitchen.
You might try using all cf and see how you like the color.

Much less energy usage and less heat. Good even light and long life.

In researching them I found that there are a variety of color temperatures
available. This might make a singificant difference.

Thank you...

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/18/2005 9:43:42 PM

Wayne Boatwright

wrote:

Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate
standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical
consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but
have not used them before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

I dislike them because of slow start, odd look and strange color
light.

I can't speak for the flood lamp configuration, but more recent CF bulbs
I've bought have virtually instant start. The flood lamp configuration
doesn't look any different than any other flood lamp, and there are now a
variety of color temperatures available that might eliminate the color
problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/18/2005 9:45:13 PM

Wayne Boatwright

wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I was aware of different color temperatures, but not of the CRI.
I will investigate further.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/18/2005 9:46:32 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 18 Jun 2005 08:03:43a, Ray wrote in alt.home.repair:

Only real disadvantage is that you can not use them with a dimmer
switch.

Actually, some that I've read about can be used with a dimmer, but I don't
know how well they work. They are also considerably more expensive. I
don't think I'll need them to operate on a dimmer, however, since in
addition to the 6 floodlights, I also have a central decorative suspended
fixture which will be on a dimmer. That will probably suffice for lower
level lighting.

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate
standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical
consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but
have not used them before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/18/2005 9:49:11 PM

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 18 Jun 2005 07:50:52p, Gordon Reeder wrote in alt.home.repair:

Wayne Boatwright wrote in
:

Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate
standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical
consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but
have not used them before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

TIA

If you mean the ones that look like flood lights with the
bell shaped housing: Don't bother. The housing serves no
purpose and causes the bulb to retain heat. I had a pair that
didn't last even two years. I replaced them with standard
swirl bulbs and they have been going great for several years.

Thanks! Food for thought.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/18/2005 9:51:28 PM

PHIL

"Pat" wrote:
I found that the remote switches do not work either.

I have a X-10 type controller (Powerhouse) hooked up
to operate some outlets & lights (CF & standard).
Works great for me. But yes the CF's don't dim.

~~Phil~~

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Stretch

We pay 6 cents to 8 cents/KWH here in Myrtle Beach SC, depending on
which of the two power companies you have. If I had to pay 12 cents, I
think i would move!

Stretch

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 19 Jun 2005 08:10:16a, PHIL wrote in alt.home.repair:

"Pat" wrote:
I found that the remote switches do not work either.

I have a X-10 type controller (Powerhouse) hooked up
to operate some outlets & lights (CF & standard).
Works great for me. But yes the CF's don't dim.

~~Phil~~

Yes, they do.

http://tinyurl.com/7fxm8

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0524-6, 06/18/2005
Tested on: 6/19/2005 10:29:20 PM

Michael Daly

On 20-Jun-2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

the CF's don't dim.

~~Phil~~

Yes, they do.

Some do, some don't. You have to look for dimmable if you want
them to dim.

Mike
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Jun 2005 09:22:09a, Michael Daly wrote in alt.home.repair:

On 20-Jun-2005, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

the CF's don't dim.

~~Phil~~

Yes, they do.

Some do, some don't. You have to look for dimmable if you want
them to dim.

Mike

Yes, true. The prices for dimmable are well above the standard CF also.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

"Pat" wrote:
I found that the remote switches do not work either.

I have a X-10 type controller (Powerhouse) hooked up
to operate some outlets & lights (CF & standard).
Works great for me. But yes the CF's don't dim.

~~Phil~~

Yes, they do.

I was referring to my set-up

~~Phil~~

Sorry, I didn't realize that.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 20 Jun 2005 07:18:17p, Marilyn & Bob wrote in alt.home.repair:

AFAIK, there are no dimmable CF FLOODLAMPS. CF floods was what the OP
was asking about.

Actually, Bob, there are.

http://tinyurl.com/7fxm8

I'm the OP and I happened to find these, but don't know how well they work
and I'm not sure I can justify the price over non-dimmable units. I can get
by with the non-dimmable floodlamps as long as I size the wattage to the
room.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-0, 06/20/2005
Tested on: 6/20/2005 9:19:20 PM

Marilyn & Bob

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Mon 20 Jun 2005 07:18:17p, Marilyn & Bob wrote in alt.home.repair:

AFAIK, there are no dimmable CF FLOODLAMPS. CF floods was what the OP
was asking about.

Actually, Bob, there are.

http://tinyurl.com/7fxm8

I'm the OP and I happened to find these, but don't know how well they work
and I'm not sure I can justify the price over non-dimmable units. I can
get
by with the non-dimmable floodlamps as long as I size the wattage to the
room.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Thanks for the info. Note that even dimmable CFs will not work with
standard remote switches unless there is at least one incadescent bulb on
the same switched citcuit.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 21 Jun 2005 08:04:22a, Marilyn & Bob wrote in alt.home.repair:

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Mon 20 Jun 2005 07:18:17p, Marilyn & Bob wrote in alt.home.repair:

AFAIK, there are no dimmable CF FLOODLAMPS. CF floods was what the
OP was asking about.

Actually, Bob, there are.

http://tinyurl.com/7fxm8

I'm the OP and I happened to find these, but don't know how well they
work and I'm not sure I can justify the price over non-dimmable units.
I can get by with the non-dimmable floodlamps as long as I size the
wattage to the room.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Thanks for the info. Note that even dimmable CFs will not work with
standard remote switches unless there is at least one incadescent bulb
on the same switched citcuit.

Hmm... That's interesting. I didn't know that. Guess I haven't done
enough research.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Marilyn & Bob

I think I said this earlier in the thread, but, to repeat, the X-10 and
other remote switches that are only in-line with the hot wire (that is, do
not also require a neutral wire connection) work on there being a trickle
current running through the circuit. The trickle will occur if there is an
incandescent bulb in the loop, but not if there are only fluorescents, even
if they are dimmable.
--
Peace,
BobJ

[...]

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 18 Jun 2005 01:05:57a, Dennis Turner wrote in alt.home.repair:

[...]

Thanks, Dennis. This was exactly the kind of information I was looking
for.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0525-3, 06/23/2005
Tested on: 6/23/2005 9:32:00 AM

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 18 Jun 2005 06:41:05a, PHIL wrote in alt.home.repair:

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
Any experience with these?

Our new kitchen will have 6 recessed cans that normally accomodate
standard incandescent floodlight bulbs. For the sake of electrical
consumption and heat output, I'd like to use CF floodlight bulbs, but
have not used them before.

Other advantages? Disadvantages?

TIA

Shop around. There are different types of cf lights. Some are instant-on
other will take a couple seconds to turn on. They are available in
different temperatures (degrees Kelvin, which makes the color of light
displayed) depending on what they will be used for. They generate less
heat and last several times longer. You will SAVE MONEY as they will
more than pay for themselves over the life of the bulb in energy saved.

~~Phil~~

Thanks! Good point about the color temperature.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 18 Jun 2005 07:46:10p, Marilyn & Bob wrote in alt.home.repair:

You need to get a remote switch that is designed for fluorescents.
These types of switches require a neutral connection at the switch. If
you don't have a neutral at the switchbox, they will not work.

The remote switch will work if you have at least one incandescent bulb
that is controlled by the switch, so if you use a mixture of
incandescent and fluorescent bulbs as suggested by Joseph Meehan, a
standard remote switch will work. This setup works because a standard
(2 wire) remote switch requires a trickle current on the circuit. That
trickle current can pass through an incandescent bulb, but not through a
CF, but since the lights in the circuit are wired in parallel, a single
incandescent bulb in the circuit will provide that trickle current.

Lastly note that CF floods are often somewhat longer than incandescent
floods and may stick out from the can.

Thanks... All good things to consider, however, I will not be using
dimmers. The bulb dimensions is something I had thought about, and I'll
need to measure the fixture to determine best bulb size.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974