Bobby

Default How to texture a sheetrock wall

I would like to texture? lightly a sheetrock wall to simulate the old
plaster wall. This wall needs to be sanded down before painting
due to a contractor leaving the job and was not finished.

Can I use the sheetrock joint mud the contractor left here.

Can I do this with out having to sand down the joints he left
mudded but not sanded and also can I mix paint into the mud
so that when the wall is textured it is also [ainted the color I want.

Thanks
Bobby

John Willis

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:20:55 GMT, "Bobby"
scribbled this interesting note:

I would like to texture? lightly a sheetrock wall to simulate the old
plaster wall. This wall needs to be sanded down before painting
due to a contractor leaving the job and was not finished.

Sounds like a hack and not a contractor.

Can I use the sheetrock joint mud the contractor left here.

Yes.

Can I do this with out having to sand down the joints he left
mudded but not sanded

No.

and also can I mix paint into the mud
so that when the wall is textured it is also [ainted the color I want.

No.

The quality of the finished paint job depends upon the quality of the
prep work.

To prepare a sheet rock wall for paint in ten steps:

1. Hang the rock.
2. Mud and tape all joints and mud all screw or nail heads and allow
to dry.
3. Smooth the wall with a drywall knife or lightly sand it and float
it out.
4. Repeat step number 3 until wall is smooth and there are no cracks
in the drywall compound.
5. Sand wall until it is absolutely smooth. Any flaws will show
through your light texture.
6. Decide upon what style of texture you want. There are different
methods ranging from crow's foot texture to using a hopper to spray
texture onto the wall and then either let it dry or drag off the tops
(this simulates a stucco look.) You can even use a roller to apply
texture. You can use the mud you have if you thin it down
sufficiently. You may even apply a thick layer of mud to the wall and
cut in designs with a broad-knife for yet a different style of
texture.
7. After the texture is dry, prime the wall with a good primer.
8. Paint with any high quality interior paint of your choice.
9. Repeat step number 8.
10. Allow paint to dry.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Bobby

"John Willis" wrote in message
[...]

Was affraid it would not lessen the work..Thanks for the infor I will give
her a try.
Yeah this guy really ripped me off..

Bobby

John Willis

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:47:48 -0400, scribbled this
interesting note:

Textured drywall is a scam sold by builders who want to save money by
hiring lesser qualified finishers and it makes a wall that is a pain
to paint, clean or attach another finish to later.

Not in the houses we build. In ours, the sheetrock is properly taped
and floated out. Until smooth. Then sanded, until smooth. Then
textured. I don't find it difficult to paint a textured wall. It
really isn't all that hard to do.

Sure, I too have seen those quarter million dollar (and higher) new
houses with finish work I wouldn't allow in a dog house. But not all
builders allow such as that in the houses they build.

I recently had a good time when a friend from college, upon moving
back to the US, asked me to walk through a house they were considering
purchasing. And it wasn't any low end home either at nearly
$500,000.00. In this area there is a certain realty company known for
high end houses and areas. It was great fun pointing out walls out of
square, an undermined patio slab (due to poor water control), and
especially the rat hole on the exterior. Obvious rat hole, I might
add. This house backs up to a golf course with a creek on the other
side. When I kept repeating the problem about the rat hole, the
realtor pointedly told me they don't have rats in their neighborhood
(she lived just a few doors down!:~) I calmly told her that the rats
don't even notice the golf course and love living in the attic of this
house! Great fun.

The moral of the story? I dunno'. I just had a good time annoying a
realtor from a snooty company. Funny thing was, many of the things I
mentioned during my walk through were fixed. The professional home
inspector caught the rat hole, but he missed the problem with the
concrete patio, as well as the fact that the secondary drain for the
HVAC had been in service long enough to leave rust stains for fifteen
feet up one side of the house...

Sloppy builders are to be found in all price ranges. As I told that
realtor, I don't care who the builder was since what matters is who
actually performed (and approved) the work?

As I told the original poster, the quality of the prep work will make
or break the quality of the finished product. Don't skimp on the elbow
grease.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Rudy

"Hand texture" can be done by thinning the mud the other guy left. It IS
possible to do this without sanding the joints.
That said, if you haven't done it before, I STRONGLY advise you to get a
pro to finish your job.

Nothing will ruin the look of a wall more than a botched mud/texture job and
you'll never match the desired finish.
It will cost twice as much to fix as to get it done properly in the first
place.
Dont do it !

I would like to texture? lightly a sheetrock wall to simulate the old
plaster wall. This wall needs to be sanded down before painting
due to a contractor leaving the job and was not finished.

Can I use the sheetrock joint mud the contractor left here.

Can I do this with out having to sand down the joints he left
mudded but not sanded and also can I mix paint into the mud
so that when the wall is textured it is also [ainted the color I want.

Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 07:22 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Ownership 5 July 22nd 04 07:22 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 11:54 AM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 03:12 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 04:48 PM