PHIL

Default Window A/C starting to squeal

Hi:

I have a Kenmore A/C window unit 12,000 BTU about 9 years old.
In the past few days it has started to make a occasional squealing
noise. I'm guessing it's the fan, is there anything I can do to
silence the thing?

~~Phil~~

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
Tony Hwang

PHIL wrote:
Hi:

I have a Kenmore A/C window unit 12,000 BTU about 9 years old.
In the past few days it has started to make a occasional squealing
noise. I'm guessing it's the fan, is there anything I can do to
silence the thing?

~~Phil~~

Hi,
Oiling? Eventually will need a new fan motor.
Tony
Edwin Pawlowski

"PHIL" wrote in message
Hi:

I have a Kenmore A/C window unit 12,000 BTU about 9 years old.
In the past few days it has started to make a occasional squealing
noise. I'm guessing it's the fan, is there anything I can do to
silence the thing?

~~Phil~~

Fan motor is likely the culprit. Most are sealed bearings ad cannot be
lubricated, but sometimes a shot of WS-40 can help. This is a warning, you
will need a new motor soon. It can be a DIY job, but it can be a PITA with
some fasteners. You can find the motor at a few places on line. try
www.repairclinic.com

TURTLE

"PHIL" wrote in message
Hi:

I have a Kenmore A/C window unit 12,000 BTU about 9 years old.
In the past few days it has started to make a occasional squealing
noise. I'm guessing it's the fan, is there anything I can do to
silence the thing?

~~Phil~~

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

This is Turtle.

Disassemble the cover and oil the two ports on the motor with 20 weight motor
oil of any motor oil you have on hand. When they squeal they are saying OIL ME .

TURTLE

Edwin Pawlowski

"TURTLE" wrote in message
This is Turtle.

Disassemble the cover and oil the two ports on the motor with 20 weight
motor oil of any motor oil you have on hand. When they squeal they are
saying OIL ME .

TURTLE

I'm not an expert but I've replace four fan motors on wind ACs over the
years. None had a oil port. Maybe some do.

Appliance Repair Aid

PHIL wrote:
Hi:

I have a Kenmore A/C window unit 12,000 BTU about 9 years old.
In the past few days it has started to make a occasional squealing
noise. I'm guessing it's the fan, is there anything I can do to
silence the thing?

~~Phil~~

Hi,

Some motors have an oil port to add a few drops of oil to help....some
do not

http://www.applianceaid.com/image/oilplugs.jpg

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...mspoutmot.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Ed

Phil, many of Sear's A/C's are Whirlpool's and many of them do have oil
tubes, one on each end of the motor. You don't need to take the unit apart
to see them, look through the slots in the cabinet. Usually these are short
clear plastic tubes with yellow plastic caps. Most motor oils will do but I
prefer 3-In-1 Oil. These motors have sleeve type bearings and a thick felt
washer, you need to use enough to saturate the washer, 3-In-1 is a nice
light oil and should fill the felt washers quickly, make sure you at least
10-12 drops to go down each tube. This will usually take care of your
problem and if you continue to oil it every year before using it it just
could last for years more.

"PHIL" wrote in message
Hi:

I have a Kenmore A/C window unit 12,000 BTU about 9 years old.
In the past few days it has started to make a occasional squealing
noise. I'm guessing it's the fan, is there anything I can do to
silence the thing?

~~Phil~~

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Stormin Mormon

Disassemble unit. Oil the berrings. reassemble.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"PHIL" wrote in message
Hi:

I have a Kenmore A/C window unit 12,000 BTU about 9 years old.
In the past few days it has started to make a occasional squealing
noise. I'm guessing it's the fan, is there anything I can do to
silence the thing?

~~Phil~~

Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

Dr. Hardcrab

"PHIL" wrote in message
Hi:

I have a Kenmore A/C window unit 12,000 BTU about 9 years old.
In the past few days it has started to make a occasional squealing
noise. I'm guessing it's the fan, is there anything I can do to
silence the thing?

I had a girlfriend in high school once......

;-]

TURTLE

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"TURTLE" wrote in message
This is Turtle.

Disassemble the cover and oil the two ports on the motor with 20 weight motor
oil of any motor oil you have on hand. When they squeal they are saying OIL
ME .

TURTLE

I'm not an expert but I've replace four fan motors on wind ACs over the years.
None had a oil port. Maybe some do.

This is Turtle.

a lot of the bigger window units and better quality models Whirlpool & Friedrick
will have ports but fedders and frigidaire will not have them.

TURTLE

G Henslee

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Disassemble unit. Oil the berrings. reassemble.

Good technique for bringing the blinded sheep out of the cults.

--
Mormonism Is A Cult
http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/mormon.htm
Appliance Repair Aid

PHIL wrote:
If anyone is curious the new A/C we ordered (it was out of stock) is a
Kenmore Model #76129 on sale for $340. Saved $30.

It has 12.300 BTU's (our previous had 12,000) and has an EER rating of 10.8
(the old one was a 9.0). To sum it up - the new one is slightly more
POWERful, more efficient, and cost us about $140 less than the model it
replaced. That helps takes some of the sting out of having to buy a new
unit

~~Phil~~

Thankx for the update!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

PHIL

"Appliance Repair Aid" wrote:
PHIL wrote:
If anyone is curious the new A/C we ordered (it was out of stock) is a
Kenmore Model #76129 on sale for $340. Saved $30.

It has 12.300 BTU's (our previous had 12,000) and has an EER rating of
10.8 (the old one was a 9.0). To sum it up - the new one is slightly
more POWERful, more efficient, and cost us about $140 less than the
model it replaced. That helps takes some of the sting out of having to
buy a new unit

~~Phil~~

Thankx for the update!!

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Hi Jeff:

I'm wondering if (being in the biz) you might know who actually
manufactures this specific model for Sears. I have searched the web
& all I know for sure thus far is that it isn't Sharp.