Kee

Default Skil Drill

Is "Skil" cordless drill any good? it's currently on sale at home depot &
canadian tire.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kee" wrote in message

Is "Skil" cordless drill any good? it's currently on sale at home depot &
canadian tire.

Maybe, how are you going to use it? Once a few months to drill two or three
holes, maybe drive a half dozen screws. Yes, it is just fine. You won't
see one in the toolbox of a pro though. I won't buy any more Ryobi tools
either as they are not made for heavy use. I love my Panasonic, but it is
$200. I use it enough to justify the cost.

If you are an occasional user, the (expensive) batteries will die long
before the drill. A corded drill may be more practical in that case.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Kee -
Is "Skil" cordless drill any good?

- Edwin PawlowskiI -
won't buy any more Ryobi tools
either as they are not made for heavy use. I love my Panasonic, but

it is
$200. I use it enough to justify the cost.

- Nehmo -
It might help the discussion if you guys would identify which Skil,
Ryobi, or Panasonic you're talking about http://snipurl.com/fib0 .

This 18v Skil for $100 doesn't look bad http://snipurl.com/fib1

But personally, I get most of my stuff from Harbor Freight
http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyA...ht/results.jsp

Cordless drills get stolen, left on jobs, and dropped from ladders
(actually, it's amazing how many drops they can survive). When you get
them cheap, they're kind of disposable, and you can buy enough of them
to compensate for the failures.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

wayne

Check to see how large it is I was looking at some drills at HD don't
remember which brand but the drill was large which would make drilling
in tight places difficult. Otherwise as has been said don't expect
anything other than light duty out of it.

Wayne

Kee wrote:

Is "Skil" cordless drill any good? it's currently on sale at home
depot & canadian tire.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message
- Nehmo -
It might help the discussion if you guys would identify which Skil,
Ryobi, or Panasonic you're talking about http://snipurl.com/fib0 .

Why? Any Panasonic is better than any Skil or Ryobi. One problem with
Ryobi is the cost of replacement parts. A switch was $26 to repair a drill
that came in a combo kit for $99.

FWIW, I have the 15.6V Panasonic model EY6432GQKW. Light and powerful for
its size. Better speed control, better clutch, one hand bit changes.

This 18v Skil for $100 doesn't look bad http://snipurl.com/fib1

But personally, I get most of my stuff from Harbor Freight
http://order.harborfreight.com/EasyA...ht/results.jsp

Cordless drills get stolen, left on jobs, and dropped from ladders
(actually, it's amazing how many drops they can survive). When you get
them cheap, they're kind of disposable, and you can buy enough of them
to compensate for the failures.

I've not used the HF stuff, nor do I plan to. I have used cheap tools and
they just don't perform as well as the better tools and can be very
frustrating and can lead to damage. . Sometimes for a one use took it is
OK, but long term, not a good buy. If you're happy, good for you.

nospambob

Before I knew better I bought a Skil belt sander. It took Skil 6
MONTHS to send a replacement switch to the repair shop!

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 23:22:31 -0400, "Kee" wrote:

Is "Skil" cordless drill any good? it's currently on sale at home depot &
canadian tire.

stevie

I've been using Craftsman. Not great, but Ok and cheaper.
"Kee" wrote in message
. ..
Is "Skil" cordless drill any good? it's currently on sale at home depot &
canadian tire.

Stormin Mormon

I had a couple of the old 2230 models, and the 2306. Two speed, with charge
stand. They lasted me about two years, the replacement battery pack was
about $26.

Home Depot had B and D cordless drills for $20, so I bought a couple, and
retired the Skils. They should last a couple years. I really liked them.

Skil had an optional leather holster, so you could carry the drill on your
belt. I never did quite get used to that. However, I found an alternate use
for the holster. If you have it in your vehicle while trying to cross the
border into Canada, the Canadian officials will spend most of an hour
repeatedly asking where is the handgun. If you have nothing else to do that
day.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kee" wrote in message
. ..
Is "Skil" cordless drill any good? it's currently on sale at home depot &
canadian tire.

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Canada Customs have prbly been told to turn back any loser american mormons
headed north to collect our ample social benefits.
So do you think JosSmith was a con man or just mentally ill???

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
news
[...]

. ..