DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage Door-Retrofit Kit (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/110768-garage-door-retrofit-kit.html)

[email protected] June 9th 05 11:06 PM

Garage Door-Retrofit Kit

Does anyone have any experience installing a kit to strengthen the
garage doors in case of hurricanes? I have not been to Home Depot or
Lowe's but assume they are available there. Would appreciate hearing
from someone who has actually installed one. Does anyone know average
price? Thanks.

Chuck B. June 9th 05 11:17 PM

wrote:

Does anyone have any experience installing a kit to strengthen the
garage doors in case of hurricanes? I have not been to Home Depot or
Lowe's but assume they are available there. Would appreciate hearing
from someone who has actually installed one. Does anyone know average
price? Thanks.

I checked Home Depot and Lowes here in SE Fla. They didn't have anything
I could use. So I found a local garage door company and they had all the
stuff I needed. Extra brackets for the rails= $1 each. 16 ft. struts at
about $30 each. They had other stuff that I didn't need. Hope this
helps.

[email protected] June 10th 05 11:52 PM

Thanks. Was it hard to install?

Chuck B. June 11th 05 11:47 AM

wrote:
Thanks. Was it hard to install?

You will need an electric drill, a few bits, wrenchs, etc.
Not very difficult at all. Install the addl. brackets just like the ones
already on your door. I added 4 more on each side. I am adding 2 addl.
struts (16' long). They already have holes drilled at the appropiate
places. Either bolt them to the hinges or screw them directly to the
door. Your only problem might be the additional weight added to the
door. You may have to get someone to adjust the springs so the door will
be balanced. If it's too heavy you could burn out the door opener. I may
not install the struts until I see a storm coming and leave the door
down until the storm passes. Good luck!