DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Basement Window Replacement (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/110351-basement-window-replacement.html)

a June 8th 05 04:27 AM

Basement Window Replacement

I am planning on replacing a rotten wood window in our concrete foundation.

I don't need the window to open so I was wondering if I could use 4 pieces
of treated 1X8 to form a box that just slides into the opening & fasten it
with a couple of concrete screws. I would install a glass stop on all 4
sides with 1/4 round then have a sealed triple pane glass unit made up to
fit & seal it in place with silicone.

Two questions:

Do I have to slope the lower sill to allow water to run off?

and

Is 1X8 stock good enough (or should I be using 2X8)?

Thanks

Joseph Meehan June 8th 05 11:30 AM

a wrote:
I am planning on replacing a rotten wood window in our concrete
foundation.
I don't need the window to open so I was wondering if I could use 4
pieces of treated 1X8 to form a box that just slides into the opening
& fasten it with a couple of concrete screws. I would install a
glass stop on all 4 sides with 1/4 round then have a sealed triple
pane glass unit made up to fit & seal it in place with silicone.

Two questions:

Do I have to slope the lower sill to allow water to run off?

and

Is 1X8 stock good enough (or should I be using 2X8)?

Thanks

I would want the ability to open a vent of some kind, even if you don't
do it often.

If you choose not to offer a vent, then why not glass block? You can
even add a vent to them, good security and light.

Yes, you need to slope the lower sill no matter what you do.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Buck Turgidson June 8th 05 01:12 PM

I don't need the window to open so I was wondering if I could use 4
pieces
of treated 1X8 to form a box that just slides into the opening &

fasten it
with a couple of concrete screws. I would install a glass stop on all

4
sides with 1/4 round then have a sealed triple pane glass unit made up

fit & seal it in place with silicone.

You should verify egress requirements with your local building code
office. Some require egress ability for fire code reasons. I don't
know if a fixed window meets those requirements.

I recently installed a vinyl hopper purchased at home depot, per the
link below. I special-ordered it about 1/4" less than the rough
dimensions, and just screwed it with Tapcons/shims right into the
masonry. I foamed the gap and caulked around it.

http://www.americancraftsmanwin.com/...l.cfm?sid=5900