SMC SMC is offline
Junior Member

Question Submersible Well Pump

We have a submersible well pump that we use for irrigation only. It was installed about 2 years ago. We have already had to replace the capacitors twice due to them busting and the liquid coming out.

Currently we are having an issue with the pump cycling on and off.

a. Does anyone know why the capacitors would be failing?

b. Does anyone know why the pump would be cycling on and off, could it
be the pressure switch?
Rich

Check that you have enough of an air volume in the tank. This time of year
you can look at the sweat on the outside of the tank to tell you the level
of water in the tank. The tank should have enough air in the tank to
compress as the pump runs to build up some cushion effect. The caps going
out is not normal so it is either cycling so often that the caps can't cool
down and basicly melt themselves or their undersized for the pump or the
wiring is too small which increases voltage drop.

Good luck, Rich

--
SMC

Gary Slusser

Irrigation only... do you control the pump with a pressure tank or only
a pressure switch?

If no tank, you need to raise the cut-off setting so the pump can't
shut off during the irrigation. If you don't the pump will short cycle,
meaning on/off, on/off which heats up the control box components and
burns something up, like the start capacitor.

If you do have a pressure tank, it is too small to provide the minimum
off time based on the hp of the pump. That's usually stated as 60
sceonds for up to 1 hp and 120 seconds for 1.5 and larger hp to about
2.0. So increase the cut-off setting as if there was no tank.

Another possibility is improper air pressure in the tank if you have
one. The air pressure is to be 1-2 psi less than the cut-in setting on
the switch with no water in the tank.

Gary
Quality Water Associates