DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   BATHROOM TILE CRACKING (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/109790-bathroom-tile-cracking.html)

[email protected] June 5th 05 08:17 PM

BATHROOM TILE CRACKING

I installed 6x6" bathroom tiles on new primed plywood backing. I
noticed a number of hairline cracks in the grout. I don't know if I
should remove all the grout to repair or widen the cracks and install
new grout. Any help would be appreciated. Wally

G Henslee June 5th 05 08:35 PM

wrote:
I installed 6x6" bathroom tiles on new primed plywood backing. I
noticed a number of hairline cracks in the grout. I don't know if I
should remove all the grout to repair or widen the cracks and install
new grout. Any help would be appreciated. Wally

Won't help to replace the grout. You've got movement or flex in the
sub-floor. Of which, you give no details.

G Henslee June 5th 05 08:40 PM

G Henslee wrote:
wrote:

I installed 6x6" bathroom tiles on new primed plywood backing. I
noticed a number of hairline cracks in the grout. I don't know if I
should remove all the grout to repair or widen the cracks and install
new grout. Any help would be appreciated. Wally

Won't help to replace the grout. You've got movement or flex in the
sub-floor. Of which, you give no details.

PS. If this is a wall you're referring to then you most likely have a
lousy bond between tile and substrate or again, some movement for soem
reason, or the plywood's too thin, or the studs are too far apart, or...
of which you give no details.

Gene June 21st 05 10:09 PM

On 5 Jun 2005 12:17:49 -0700, wrote:

I installed 6x6" bathroom tiles on new primed plywood backing. I
noticed a number of hairline cracks in the grout. I don't know if I
should remove all the grout to repair or widen the cracks and install
new grout. Any help would be appreciated. Wally

Did you set the tile directly on the plywood or did you use cement
board over the plywood. If you didn't use cement board - you just
found your problem