DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   tree root problem (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/108596-tree-root-problem.html)

tenplay May 31st 05 08:35 AM

tree root problem

We have a large plum tree in our front garden, from which emerges
countless suckers all around our front yard. We are constantly digging
them up where we can and snipping them off where we can't. Is there
anything we can do to minimize this irritating problem short of taking
out the tree? Thanks.

[email protected] May 31st 05 12:02 PM

Try alt.landscape.architecture.
TB

dadiOH May 31st 05 01:56 PM

tenplay wrote:
We have a large plum tree in our front garden, from which emerges
countless suckers all around our front yard. We are constantly
digging them up where we can and snipping them off where we can't.
Is there anything we can do to minimize this irritating problem short
of taking out the tree? Thanks.

I have the same problem with live oaks. Some, not all. Our pop ups are
generally close to the main trunk - within 10-12' or so. We solve it
by planting some sort of thick, tall ground cover. Boston fern in our
case, solved it nicely. Apparently, the oak suckers need light/air to
pop up. No idea if it would work on plums. Suckers where there are no
ferns get mowed as do the ferns as they expand.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

nospambob May 31st 05 08:30 PM