Michael Bushey

Default Would you buy a Ryobi Pressure Washer from Home Depot

From: Michael Bushey
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

I am in the market for a pressure washer, cold water gasoline, in the 2500
psi range. Where I live in Maine is very rural. Only one local dealer sells
them, a John Deere dealer that has a 2700 psi with a Honda engine for $899.
This unit is noticeably heavy duty in the appearance of fittings and hose. It

has a 1 year warranty.

Our localHome Depot is having a special on a Ryobi washer with a 7hp Subaru
engine, 3 year warranty, cost $500. This is a 3000 psi machine. The machines
hoses and fittings look more consumer grade than professional. I checked with

all our local small engine dealers and only one will repair this unit. In
fact that is where Home Depot gets its warranty service done. So buying this
machine is obviously a gamble. Since this is a big promo here has anyone had
experience with the Depot machine or the John Deer for that matter?

We also have a Sears, I would buy things I could exchange there but service
is bad. I needed a typewriter reapaired once, 6 months later and many phone
calls later nothing had been done

Edwin Pawlowski

"Michael Bushey" wrote in message
Our localHome Depot is having a special on a Ryobi washer with a 7hp
Subaru
engine, 3 year warranty, cost $500. This is a 3000 psi machine. The
machines
hoses and fittings look more consumer grade than professional. I checked
with

all our local small engine dealers and only one will repair this unit. In
fact that is where Home Depot gets its warranty service done. So buying
this
machine is obviously a gamble. Since this is a big promo here has anyone
had
experience with the Depot machine or the John Deer for that matter?

Having owned a couple of Ryobi tools, NO, I'd not buy anything with their
name on it. As you can already see, minimal support down the road.

JimL

On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:55:38 -0400, Michael Bushey

From: Michael Bushey
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

[...]

You shouldn't but I would.

Some people equate value with how much money they spend. You are one
of those people.

Kyle Boatright

.net...
From: Michael Bushey
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

[...]

How often are you going to use this tool? If it is once a year, why not
rent? If it is a few times a year, the Ryobi will probably do well - as you
noted, it is a "consumer" targeted item. If you're going into the pressure
washing business, you want the John Deere..

Edwin Pawlowski

"JimL" wrote in message
You shouldn't but I would.

Some people equate value with how much money they spend. You are one
of those people.

True, but I've yet to find the value in Ryobi.

JimL

On Mon, 30 May 2005 17:09:31 GMT, RobertPatrick
wrote:

Michael Bushey wrote in
e.net:

From: Michael Bushey
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

[...]

I wouldn't buy any equipment from HomeDepot. They are cheats. This past
winter a customer was returning a snow thrower that he only used 1 time and
it died. They told him it would be repaired only and it was going to take
5 weeks - in the dead of winter! Jerk off store.

I personally prefer a store that doesn't allow returns. I know I'm
getting new, unused equipment when I purchase from them.

Does that make sense or am I wrong?

Greg O

Would I buy a pressure washer from HD?
No! I would not buy anything that may need service down the road.
Greg

Mail-order from Northern Tools .. .. .. get one with a Honda motor & CAT
pump. Honda dealers are everywhere (not that you should need one ..
they are absolute workhorses) & CAT pumps last forever. Cost is a
little more, but the value is tremendous.

Duane Bozarth

JimL wrote:
I personally prefer a store that doesn't allow returns. I know I'm
getting new, unused equipment when I purchase from them.

Does that make sense or am I wrong?

No and yes...

A. You'd rather have to deal w/ the manufacturer rather than the local
store to resolve a DOA-type problem? Doesn't make sense to me...

B. If the product is in factory-sealed container, you're chances are as
good as anywhere you're going to get that it is new....it's pretty easy
to tell opened merchandise, typically. Floor models or obvious opened
should be identified as such either by inspection or note and are worthy
of discount or other consideration. If you don't want such merchandise,
say so.
Gideon

RobertPatrick wrote:
I wouldn't buy any equipment from HomeDepot. They are cheats.
This past winter a customer was returning a snow thrower that he
only used 1 time and it died. They told him it would be repaired only
and it was going to take 5 weeks - in the dead of winter!
Jerk off store.

============

Stop. Think. Why does this store (and many others) now have
restrictive return policies on certain items? Think hard. Is the
phase "free tool rental" part of the store name?

There are a number of items which many retailers will no longer
allow you to return:
1) Snowblowers
2) Powerwashers
3) Laptop computers
4) Tile saws
5) Digital cameras or camcorders
6) Emergency power generators

Etc.

Retailers just can't afford to become a free tool rental outlet for folks
who enjoy "buying" a tool and then returning it after the de facto
"free rental." Retailers are also concerned about dealing with returns
of physically large items which "don't work" because morons
can't read the owners manual. Their cost of handling and returning
that snowblower (which could work fine) to the manufacturer can
be considerable.

I spoke with a Ryobi customer rep this past week and he commented
on their somewhat large number of returned items, which Ryobi must
then sell at a discount as reconditioned items. Most returns, he said,
are the result of customers who lack common sense and/or reading
comprehension. Stall gas in small gasoline engines. Or kerosene in
small gasoline engines. Failure to mix oil with gasoline for 2 cycle
engines or failure to fill the oil crankcase on 4 cycle engines. Etc.

All honest and smart consumers share in the cost of enabling dumb
or dishonest consumers who abuse return policies.

Gideon

Gideon

Duane,

You describe an idea world, but unfortunately too many items
get returned and reshelved as new. Many store employees
don't even ask if the returned item is damaged.

Smart consumers ALWAYS ask about return policies on
items which could be "no return to store" items.

Gideon

======

Bozarth wrote in message ...
JimL wrote:
I personally prefer a store that doesn't allow returns. I know I'm
getting new, unused equipment when I purchase from them.

Does that make sense or am I wrong?

No and yes...

A. You'd rather have to deal w/ the manufacturer rather than the local
store to resolve a DOA-type problem? Doesn't make sense to me...

B. If the product is in factory-sealed container, you're chances are as
good as anywhere you're going to get that it is new....it's pretty easy
to tell opened merchandise, typically. Floor models or obvious opened
should be identified as such either by inspection or note and are worthy
of discount or other consideration. If you don't want such merchandise,
say so.

World Traveler

Michael -- I'll offer a little different viewpoint -- I now have three
pressure washers -- a 2500 psi unit I bought from Home Depot, with a Briggs
& Stratton engine; a Sears Craftsman 2500 psi unit, and one more.

I bought the HD unit to have a robust capability to clean driveways, decks,
siding, etc. I used it a few times, changed the oil, and then got wrapped
up in business and didn't use it for about six months. The next time I
pulled it out it wouldn't start and needed the engine overhauled due to lack
of use. I couldn't wait (and my wife worked at Sears) so I bought a second
unit, which I use intermittently for heavier-duty uses. Drag it out, check
the oil level, refuel, etc. Fire it up and use it. Also got the HD unit
repaired.

But last fall I saw a Husky electric pressure cleaner -- 1400 psi -- for
$69, including soap injector and a floor cleaner attachment. I didn't see
how I could go wrong for $69, and bought it. I use it ten times for each
time I pull out the heavy duty units. It's about half the size of a
canister vacuum cleaner, light and easy to move around, quiet, shuts off
whenever I stop spraying. I use it everywhere -- cleaned the driveway,
washed out the garage, did the windows, washed the garage doors and stucco,
cleaned the deck. I don't have to be quite as careful about damaging wood
surfaces, and it's much easier to use than the gasoline-powered models.
Right now about the only time I use the heavy duty machines is to make sure
I exercise their engines.

Some day I'm sure the Husky unit will start to leak around the seals, or
have other problems, and rather than repair it I'll just dispose of it --
and probably buy another. But the $69 purchase price was less than the
engine overhaul on the gas unit, and I don't have any gasoline refill costs.

I guess what I'm suggesting is that you take a good look at your
"requirements" and make sure you really need the size and expense of the
larger units, and that a smaller, less expensive (and perhaps shorter-lived)
electric unit won't meet your requirements. -- Regards

.net...

Josh

[...]

Do you have a Sherwin Williams near you? They have one powered by a 6-3/4
hp B&S for $299, also have more professional models for more.

Check out page 2 &4 of this link.
http://www1.sherwin-williams.com/con...5/mayjunpb.htm

I work for JD in a delivery aspect. We run our equipment, and I do not
think very highly of their engineering, especially on their skid-steers or
Gators.

There isnt anything wrong with Home Depot. Its how you use and
maintain the equipment. As for Ryobi, its a cheaper line.... Take a
look at the pump and see who makes it. If its some off shot make, i'd
stay away. Finding parts might be an issue.
You can always go on the net and do a search or two on the pump brand.

The better ones at HD are the Honda GX series motors and generally have
a decent pump on them. (I prefer little giant pumps myself)

Gideon,
You are RIGHT ON THE MONEY!

While waiting to return items at HomeDepot, I have seen SO MANY PEOPLE
try to return items just like you've said. Used on one job and return
it to get their
money back. Its about time that they say no more.

Nobody even thinks that when they cost the company money by taking back
rented equipment the money is then made back by jacking up the prices
on everything else.

There is nothing wrong with getting your equipment from small engine
shops, just because you bought it there doesnt alway mean that the'll
service it right away either. Around the first snow storm, they're
bombarded by the usual people who leave gas in the tank all year or
who never lubed/tuned it up. Serves ya right for not testing the unit
sometime before the first blizzard hits!

Duane Bozarth

Gideon wrote:

Duane,

You describe an idea world, but unfortunately too many items
get returned and reshelved as new. Many store employees
don't even ask if the returned item is damaged.

But they can't re-package it as new packaging....
George

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"JimL" wrote in message
You shouldn't but I would.

Some people equate value with how much money they spend. You are one
of those people.

True, but I've yet to find the value in Ryobi.

Same here, Ryobi seems to be a line made for big box stores so they could
sell something that *looks* like a real tool.

Gideon

Duane Bozarth wrote in message ...
Gideon wrote:

Duane,

You describe an idea world, but unfortunately too many items
get returned and reshelved as new. Many store employees
don't even ask if the returned item is damaged.

But they can't re-package it as new packaging....

==========

On some large items that may be correct, but on most items returned
to stores it is easy to resell the item as new. On certain types of items,
I now examine the contents before making the purchase. I've been burned
in the past when opening a package at home and discovering that the
item was a return which showed very obvious signs of abuse. Hell, even
a large snowblower which is returned can get wiped off and sold as a
"floor model" at full retail or nearly full retail.

From: Michael Bushey
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

I am in the market for a pressure washer, cold water gasoline, in the 2500
psi range. Where I live in Maine is very rural. Only one local dealer sells
them, a John Deere dealer that has a 2700 psi with a Honda engine for $899.
This unit is noticeably heavy duty in the appearance of fittings and hose. It

has a 1 year warranty.

The fittings and hoses are important. I have a Karcher with a Honda
engine, purchased at Costco for $300. The hose and fittings were very
low-end. The hose lasted about one year. I purchased a much heavier
duty (and longer) hose, as well as quick release fittings, and I am
much happier with it. I also purchased a hose reel (from Sears) which
makes storing the hose a lot easier.

Home Depot does not have good quality pressure washers. I would avoid
them. The Sears pressure washers do not have the Honda engines.

If you use it a lot, buy the commercial grade, not the residential
grade machine. Though my concrete contractor uses the same Karcher
model from Costco that I use, and uses it a lot more than I do.

Clark Griswold

"JimL" wrote in message
You shouldn't but I would.

Some people equate value with how much money they spend. You are one
of those people.

True, but I've yet to find the value in Ryobi.

Same here, Ryobi seems to be a line made for big box stores so they could
sell something that *looks* like a real tool.

You're partly correct. HD owns Ryobi.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Clark Griswold" wrote in message

You're partly correct. HD owns Ryobi.

http://www.ryobi-group.co.jp/en/ir/d.../corporate.pdf
I'd bet these guys would not agree with you.
Chairman and CEO

Hiroshi Urakami

President and COO

Susumu Yoshikawa

Gideon

Clark Griswold wrote:
You're partly correct. HD owns Ryobi.

==================

MTD owns Ryobi, Troy Built, Yard-man, McCulloch, Cub Cadet,
& Bolens. If HD also owns Ryobi, then does that mean MTD
owns HD or that HD owns MTD?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Gideon" wrote in message

MTD owns Ryobi,

I don't think so.

Troy Built, Yard-man, McCulloch, Cub Cadet,
& Bolens.

Correct http://www.mtdproducts.com/home.jsp

Bahahah. Just because Ryobi sells at HD???

So just because Hitachi is only sold at Lowes and not HD,
then Lowes owns Hitachi???

Geeeeez

Steven M. Scharf

wrote in message
ups.com...
Bahahah. Just because Ryobi sells at HD???

So just because Hitachi is only sold at Lowes and not HD,
then Lowes owns Hitachi???

I think that Rigid is a Home Depot brand. Maybe the poster got confused
between Ryobi and Rigid.

Duane Bozarth

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...
Bahahah. Just because Ryobi sells at HD???

So just because Hitachi is only sold at Lowes and not HD,
then Lowes owns Hitachi???

I think that Rigid is a Home Depot brand. Maybe the poster got confused
between Ryobi and Rigid.

Wrong again...the brand is Ridgid and was initially a new product line
from Rigid Tool (the pipe wrench folks). After a while they sold the
name off to somebody (Chiwanese, I think?)...but was never more than a
HD "single-outlet" product, not HD-owned product/manufacturer.
Clark Griswold

"JimL" wrote in message
You shouldn't but I would.

Some people equate value with how much money they spend. You are one
of those people.

True, but I've yet to find the value in Ryobi.

Same here, Ryobi seems to be a line made for big box stores so they could
sell something that *looks* like a real tool.

You're partly correct. HD owns Ryobi.

After doing some research it was found that Techtronic Industries owns Ryobi
(sold exclusively at HD).

This is from TTI's www.ttigroup.com .
2001 March - Entered into a long-term agreement to supply Ryobi power tools
to The Home Depot, the world's largest home improvement retailer.

However, I was told from an HD "insider" that HD owns Ryobi. Which, after
reading the TTI web site and reading your responses, is up to speculation.

Michael Bushey

Thank you all for this thread. I am going to buy a pressure washer from
Northern Tool, a 5.5hp Honda GX OHV engine with a Comet pump with ceramic
plungers. I have learned much about big item retailers from this group,
thanks again.

G Henslee

From: Michael Bushey
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair

I am in the market for a pressure washer, cold water gasoline, in the 2500
psi range.

Without going through every post in this thread, this one may have been
recommended already. I bought a Devilbiss model PWH "PowerWave" 2500
from Sam's club several weeks ago for $298.00. Honda 5.5 hp, 2500 psi
and 2.5 gpm. So far it's kicked ass through 3 coats of 25-30 year old
paint on a patio slab I'm cleaning up. Well worth the minimal cost and
great for homeowner use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You cant go wrong with Honda. Ryobi on the other hand, I seen a ton of the electric tools come in to a shop I worked at for almost 4yrs. Some were a week old and HD directed them to us to do the €śwarranty work€ť. Which if you bought to use in the Spring or Summer as most people do, then expect anywhere from 6, 8 or even 12 weeks before your equipment is even LOOKED at! Unless its a battery operated machine and in that case if its the battery, the charger or the machine itself, expect anywhere from 4-12weeks as all parts come over on a boat from China. (This time frame was pre Corona virus). Some HD will take them back even if your outside the dates of return if you throw a big enough fit! They ultimately want to make the customer happy. But if your talking about a push or riding mower, I wouldnt purchase from anyone else! You can use the mower all season & take it to be returned for any given reason...(even if it doesnt have a problem at all) & they will refund your money, call the shop I worked for to have us looked it over & do a complete tune up to be returned to the store to be sold again as a refurbished or open box item at a huge discount! Ive even heard of the same customer repurchasing the SAME item for hundreds less! Same goes for their competitor Lowes. I cant begin to tell you how many €śreturns€ť we received from HD that would state the problem but once looked over by a certified technician, there were no issues found! Maybe a dull blade from a summer of cutting multiple acres. So as for a €śrental€ť, Id say thats a pretty good deal! Put $900 down at the beginning of spring & return it within the 90 days for q full return! Frequent the store offen over the next 3-4 weeks & youll find your same rider for $550 as a floor model and comes with the full warranty in tact! When purchasing a refurbished or open box, be sure to ask to start it & hear it run & check for smoke. There are some that will say €śas is€ť but if you get the model number & serial number & go to the manufacturers site, most of the time youll find it was never registered & your able to register your new machine & enjoy the full warranty! Good luck everyone!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ot-656114-.htm

Karcher pressure washer dead Pufter UK diy 4 May 26th 05 01:06 PM
FAQ: New: Pressure Washer FAQ, + Call for Papers Phil Addison UK diy 10 April 26th 05 02:32 PM
Windsor Plywood Scam - Saskatoon James \(Garry\) Hunter Woodworking 19 January 4th 05 05:12 PM
Pressure washer woes David UK diy 8 September 5th 03 11:54 PM
Slightly OT "pressure" Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 2 August 6th 03 06:49 AM