Bill C

Default AWG needed for 68.5 amp 240 vac?

Hello,

Can someone please tell me what AWG copper line is required to service a
68.5 amp 240vac tankless water heater? The manufacturer recommends an 80
amp breaker.

Thank you

Bill

TURTLE

"Bill C" wrote in message
. ..

Hello,

Can someone please tell me what AWG copper line is required to service a 68.5
amp 240vac tankless water heater? The manufacturer recommends an 80 amp
breaker.

Thank you

Bill

there is all kinds of type wire to choose from as distance of run and as in
conduit or not and you can run it in # 6 to a # 2 by just what type wire it is
and the metal the wire is made out of.

So if run in Copper wire run # 2 and you can't go wrong. the wire can be smaller
if you tell the conditions like length of run , type of wire you have to use ,
and in conduit or out.

TURTLE

Doug Miller

In article , "Bill C" wrote:

Can someone please tell me what AWG copper line is required to service a
68.5 amp 240vac tankless water heater? The manufacturer recommends an 80
amp breaker.

Anywhere between #6 and #2. Depends on the temperature ratings of the
conductors, and how they're installed (cable, conduit, etc).

--
Regards,

Bill C

Thanks everyone. I don't like my subpanel setup. It's a big mess to
upgrade and a long run in an old house to try to pull new wire. I'll just
replace this failing tank water heater with another tank water heater.

Regards
Bill

"Bill C" wrote in message
. ..

Hello,

Can someone please tell me what AWG copper line is required to service a
68.5 amp 240vac tankless water heater? The manufacturer recommends an 80
amp breaker.

Thank you

Bill

Stormin Mormon

Also, copper versus aluminum makes a difference. I don't have a spec sheet,
but alum takes a lower number. Which is a physically larger wire.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Bill C"
wrote:

Can someone please tell me what AWG copper line is required to service a
68.5 amp 240vac tankless water heater? The manufacturer recommends an 80
amp breaker.

Anywhere between #6 and #2. Depends on the temperature ratings of the
conductors, and how they're installed (cable, conduit, etc).

--
Regards,

zxcvbob

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Also, copper versus aluminum makes a difference. I don't have a spec sheet,
but alum takes a lower number. Which is a physically larger wire.

He needs ampacity of 85A rather than 68.5 because it's a continuous
resistive load. #3 Aluminum type SE cable will work if the breaker and
terminals are rated for 90°C. Otherwise, he needs #4 copper rated for
75°C or better.

Best regards,
Bob