tenplay

Default Fixing cracked concrete in driveway and patio

We recently received an ad stating that "we cover ugly concrete with
stone & epoxy overlay". Is this a reasonable solution to cracks in the
driveway and patio? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
Joseph Meehan

tenplay wrote:
We recently received an ad stating that "we cover ugly concrete with
stone & epoxy overlay". Is this a reasonable solution to cracks in
the driveway and patio? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

It is a nice temporary fix. However you have not fixed the cause and
the cracks will be back.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Roger Taylor

The applications I've seen all fail after a short time, as the cracks keep
developing, affecting the stone overlay. Properly laying epoxied stone
pebbles takes considerable skill and pre-cleaning, and few contractors know
how to do it, from what I have seen.
"tenplay" wrote in message
We recently received an ad stating that "we cover ugly concrete with stone
& epoxy overlay". Is this a reasonable solution to cracks in the driveway
and patio? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Vic Dura

On Mon, 23 May 2005 18:36:11 -0700, in alt.home.repair Fixing
cracked concrete in driveway and patio tenplay
wrote:

We recently received an ad stating that "we cover ugly concrete with
stone & epoxy overlay". Is this a reasonable solution to cracks in the
driveway and patio? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

It's costly and doesn't last long.

tenplay

tenplay wrote:
We recently received an ad stating that "we cover ugly concrete with
stone & epoxy overlay". Is this a reasonable solution to cracks in the
driveway and patio? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

So it seems that no one recommends this repair method. How then do I
make the repairs short of taking out all the concrete and laying new
concrete? Thanks again.

Goedjn

tenplay wrote:
We recently received an ad stating that "we cover ugly concrete with
stone & epoxy overlay". Is this a reasonable solution to cracks in the
driveway and patio? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

So it seems that no one recommends this repair method. How then do I
make the repairs short of taking out all the concrete and laying new
concrete? Thanks again.

You probably can't. You could TRY just cutting out the section
that's cracked, and pouring a new segment in with expansion
joints at each side. You'll still have "cracks", but it will
look like you did it on purpose, and if the subsurface prep
isn't right, which is usually what causes these problems in
the first place, then your three slabs will eventually heave
out of alignment and you'll have bumps.
Joseph Meehan

tenplay wrote:
tenplay wrote:
We recently received an ad stating that "we cover ugly concrete with
stone & epoxy overlay". Is this a reasonable solution to cracks in
the driveway and patio? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

So it seems that no one recommends this repair method. How then do I
make the repairs short of taking out all the concrete and laying new
concrete? Thanks again.

About the best medium term solution is a flexible calk that can move
with the changes in temperature etc. You can buy some concrete color (sort
of) at the DIY store in the area where they sell the concrete products.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Roger Taylor

We recently received an ad stating that "we cover ugly concrete with
stone & epoxy overlay". Is this a reasonable solution to cracks in the
driveway and patio? Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

So it seems that no one recommends this repair method. How then do I make
the repairs short of taking out all the concrete and laying new concrete?
Thanks again.

Epoxy coatings are not a repair at all. It is simply an alternate texture to
concrete, so it is cosmetic only. Short of using concrete crack filler that
comes in a caulking tube, there is nothing you can do short of replacing the
concrete, as you have frost heave, expansive soils, or improper underlay
aggregate/gravel.. BTW crack fillers tend not to match after awhile, and
look even worse than the original cracks they were intended to hide.