Dan-o

Default floor for screened porch

The floor in our screened porch is regular 5/4 wood deck boards with about
1/4" spacing between boards. SWMBO wants to cover deck boards with a solid
flooring to keep out terrible creatures such as wife eating crickets and
lizards. What are some floor options for an outside area that gets some
moisture during storms? Thanks in advance.

Pop

"Dan-o" wrote in message
The floor in our screened porch is regular 5/4 wood
deck boards with about
1/4" spacing between boards. SWMBO wants to cover
deck boards with a solid
flooring to keep out terrible creatures such as wife
eating crickets and
lizards. What are some floor options for an outside
area that gets some
moisture during storms? Thanks in advance.

If you want to keep the air circulation, how about
stapling strips of screening to the underside of the
boards? It'd take more vacuuming probably to keep the
cracks cleaned out, but it'd keep the circulation
going.
Otherwise, without really knowing what I'm doing,
I'd probably consider outdoor carpetting or linoleum,
but either will pretty quickly show the lines of the
cracks thru them. Linoleum might hold moisture in
there too, come to think of it, if it gets in under the
edges.

I think I'd opt for the screen strips. Some of the
solutio probably depends on where yo are too, and the
kind of weather you get temp wise.

Pop

No

Traditional porch floors were mahogany or fir. Available in T&G. (Last
time I bought mahogany for about $1 per foot, 3" wide T&G). There are also
newer composites. Here is one. http://www.tendura.com/homeownerhome.html

Make sure you have a slight slope away from house or you will direct water
where you do not want it. The porch should drain away from house.