DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Is my deck made out of cedar or redwood? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/108189-my-deck-made-out-cedar-redwood.html)

Oscar_Lives May 16th 05 02:01 AM

Is my deck made out of cedar or redwood?

How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

Edwin Pawlowski May 16th 05 02:54 AM

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

Can you cut a piece someplace? That would reveal a fresh surface that would
help.

MUADIB® May 16th 05 02:56 AM

use a sanding tool or the like and smell the area sanded. If it
smells like cedar,.............well, It's cedar. If it smells like
pine, then it's pine...............etc...This will work well with the
cedar, but the rest of the woods I am unfamiliar with the scent , so
i'd probably be just a fool for stating the above. But cut the cedar
and it'll give off a very distinct cedar smell, unless it's just
rotten to death.

How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

[email protected] May 16th 05 04:37 AM

If it looks good, it's redwood. Otherwise it is cedar or, worse yet,
pressure treated lumber.

I'm assuming the wood has a clear protective coating. If someone put a
colored preservative over the wood, all bets are off.

Sunflower May 16th 05 05:22 AM

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

Where do you live? Redwood decks are pretty much a West Coast affair. You
don't see much cedar in the East either, because of the expense. The most
common to everywhere is plain old pressure treated pine. Unless you live in
a bucks up community, I'd bet on the pine.

Gort May 16th 05 06:06 AM

Oscar_Lives wrote:
How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

If you can access the underside at all try sanding a small portion of
it. The upper surface will remain unmarked, and you should be able to
figure out what you have.

inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know
how to ignore a posting,complain to me and I will demonstrate.

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy May 16th 05 07:02 AM

From your discription, the deck is concrete.

--

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable
Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

Duane Bozarth May 16th 05 02:52 PM

Sunflower wrote:

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

Where do you live? Redwood decks are pretty much a West Coast affair. You
don't see much cedar in the East either, because of the expense. The most
common to everywhere is plain old pressure treated pine. Unless you live in
a bucks up community, I'd bet on the pine.

Not generically true...many decks in TN were redwood (I'd say the
majority until about 10 years ago) for almost all new construction.
Granted it's now gotten expensive enough to be a custom material,
granted.

calhoun May 16th 05 04:10 PM

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

If those are the only 2 choices than Cedar ages light gray, redwood ages
darker.

Doug Miller May 16th 05 04:18 PM

In article , "calhoun" wrote:

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message
How can I tell? The wood is grey (about 5 years old).

If those are the only 2 choices than Cedar ages light gray, redwood ages
darker.

If you don't have anything to compare it to, though, it's kinda tough to tell
that way.

If you can drill a hole, or cut a bit off, in an inconspicuous place, that
should be enough to identify the difference. Even old cedar will have a faint,
but still noticeable, cedar smell to it when cut; likewise, pine smells like
pine; but redwood doesn't smell like either one.

--
Regards,