DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   replacing broken pane on double-insulated glass window (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/108173-replacing-broken-pane-double-insulated-glass-window.html)

Slumlord May 15th 05 06:57 PM

replacing broken pane on double-insulated glass window

I have a double hung, vinyl replacement window that has a broken
interior pane. My other windows, I remove the sash, take it back to the
manufacturer, and they then fix the thing.

Problem is, I have no idea who made this window (was already there when
I bought the place). How do you go about fixing this thing without
putting in a whole new window? Do other window manufacturers match
someone else's design?

Matt

another slumlord May 16th 05 12:31 AM

"Slumlord" wrote in message
I have a double hung, vinyl replacement window that has a broken
interior pane. My other windows, I remove the sash, take it back to the
manufacturer, and they then fix the thing.

Problem is, I have no idea who made this window (was already there when
I bought the place). How do you go about fixing this thing without
putting in a whole new window? Do other window manufacturers match
someone else's design?

Matt

From one to another

http://tinyurl.com/dj8n9

Colbyt May 16th 05 12:58 AM

"Slumlord" wrote in message
I have a double hung, vinyl replacement window that has a broken
interior pane. My other windows, I remove the sash, take it back to the
manufacturer, and they then fix the thing.

Problem is, I have no idea who made this window (was already there when
I bought the place). How do you go about fixing this thing without
putting in a whole new window? Do other window manufacturers match
someone else's design?

Look in you local phone book for glass companies that make their own IG
units. They have the ability to match the grids, glass and thickness of the
unit.

Now I am not sure how the vinyl units came apart (or if they do) that would
be the only problem I can see on getting a local glass company to install a
new glass.

BTW, there may be ID etched into a corner of one of the glass units. Look
closely, or if older like me, look with a magnifying glass.

Colbyt

Slumlord May 16th 05 01:17 AM

Well... was looking something besides plywood...

You could 'urbanize' it a bit by spray-painting some graffiti on it.

another slumlord wrote:

From one to another

http://tinyurl.com/dj8n9

[email protected] May 16th 05 01:50 PM

I took mine to a local place that fixes broken glass. Specifically
Kaplan glass near the stadium in downtown Baltimore. Got it back the
same day. Found them in the Yellow pages and they were convinent to
me. This is not rocket science; you don't have to take it to the
manufacturer.