Mike Hartigan

Default Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on vinyl pool liner

I opened my above ground pool last weekend and was faced with the
annual problem of cleaning the stain that forms just above the water
line. Just for kicks, I grabbed a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I was
astounded! Damn near close to zero effort and the stain was gone! I
don't know what's in this thing but it's a miracle!

Which brings me to my question. What, exactly, is in this thing? Is
it safe for my vinyl pool liner? (I know -- I should have asked
before I used it). Assuming it's compatible with vinyl, I'd strongly
recommend it for this purpose.
Curly Sue

On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:38:34 -0500, Mike Hartigan
wrote:

I opened my above ground pool last weekend and was faced with the
annual problem of cleaning the stain that forms just above the water
line. Just for kicks, I grabbed a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I was
astounded! Damn near close to zero effort and the stain was gone! I
don't know what's in this thing but it's a miracle!

Which brings me to my question. What, exactly, is in this thing? Is
it safe for my vinyl pool liner? (I know -- I should have asked
before I used it). Assuming it's compatible with vinyl, I'd strongly
recommend it for this purpose.

It seems to me to be a physical method of removal based on a
microfiber or polymer foam of some sort, acting somewhat like
sandpaper, but needing water to increase the contact with the item to
be cleaned.

I'm guessing. :

It's amazing stuff though.
Sue(tm)
Curly Sue

wrote:

I opened my above ground pool last weekend and was faced with the
annual problem of cleaning the stain that forms just above the water
line. Just for kicks, I grabbed a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I was
astounded! Damn near close to zero effort and the stain was gone! I
don't know what's in this thing but it's a miracle!

Which brings me to my question. What, exactly, is in this thing? Is
it safe for my vinyl pool liner? (I know -- I should have asked
before I used it). Assuming it's compatible with vinyl, I'd strongly
recommend it for this purpose.

OK, I found the answer. I was close :

http://tinyurl.com/7d6lp

It's made from BASF's melamine resin foam Basotect® (BASF is a
chemical company).

It works to remove dirt because, strangely enough, microscopically
it's very hard.

So don't use it on anything that may be scratched (although it cleaned
my chrome teapot and it stayed shiny), or that has a varnish that will
wear away.

Sue(tm)

Curly Sue

On Sun, 15 May 2005 08:33:03 -0400, "patga" wrote:

Do you think it might work on getting stains off a brick fireplace?

I doubt it. The brick surface is probably too uneven and the Eraser
won't get in the depressions.

Sue(tm)

Mike Hartigan

http://www.sunpowerusa.com/bespmefoclsp.html

-and-

http://tinyurl.com/8oppm

The first appears to be an off-brand of the Magic Eraser. The second
is a bit intriguing. You can buy a 2'x4' sheet of the stuff for
$52.92 in the form of its original application.

In article ,
says...