DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Tapered or parallel plugs for screws in masonry? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/108102-re-tapered-parallel-plugs-screws-masonry.html)

--s-p-o-n-i-x-- May 13th 05 10:34 AM

Tapered or parallel plugs for screws in masonry?

On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:09:41 +0100, Bill Woods
wrote:

Which sort of wallplug for brick/masonry do posters here prefer?

My personal preference was for the plastic 'stick' type plug that you
had to cut to length yourself, like the one two-thirds of the way down
this page: http://www.readersdigest.co.uk/diy/w...32_233_234.htm

I liked them because you could use a longer plug/screw if the wall was
a bit dodgy.

Haven't seen them for a few years, though. Anyone know if any of the
sheds stock them?

sponix

Andy Dingley May 13th 05 12:17 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 10:34:42 +0100, --s-p-o-n-i-x--
wrote:

I liked them because you could use a longer plug/screw if the wall was
a bit dodgy.

Slice the flange off another wallplug and shove that in afterwards.

Or else just poke them down with a drillbit. Unless you're using huge
screws, you only need one plug's length of grip, you just need it
further in where the wall is stable.

Haven't seen them for a few years, though. Anyone know if any of the
sheds stock them?

I saw them recently, but the price was ridiculous.

I also saw "Rawlplug compound", or at least a modern version of it
recently. A compound-filled paper "coffee filter" that you wet, then
shoved down the hole.

fred May 13th 05 06:42 PM

In article , Andy Dingley
writes
I also saw "Rawlplug compound", or at least a modern version of it
recently. A compound-filled paper "coffee filter" that you wet, then
shoved down the hole.

Recently found some of the old stuff in my dad's shed, ingredients:
Asbestos Fibre 100%, I remember him mixing it with a gob of spit in his
hand when making fixings, ah, those were the coughcoughspit
days :-)
--
fred

Goedjn May 13th 05 09:36 PM

Recently found some of the old stuff in my dad's shed, ingredients:
Asbestos Fibre 100%, I remember him mixing it with a gob of spit in his
hand when making fixings, ah, those were the coughcoughspit
days :-)

And what did he die of? I'll bet it wasn't lung cancer.

--Goedjn