DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   flooring under rads (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/108073-flooring-under-rads.html)

[email protected] May 12th 05 12:12 PM

flooring under rads

any tips on installing hard wood flooring under cast iron rads?
removing the rads during install is not an option.

stretch May 12th 05 12:16 PM

Use a Skyhook! :-)

Stretch

PS: I think unless uou can support the radiators from overhead,
removing the radiators is the only option.

[email protected] May 12th 05 12:37 PM

i've checked the rad's and there is some play in the piping and the
rad's. i was wondering if i were to "very gently" rock the rad to
manipulate the flooring underneath? i know it's risky but.....

Edwin Pawlowski May 12th 05 01:38 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
i've checked the rad's and there is some play in the piping and the
rad's. i was wondering if i were to "very gently" rock the rad to
manipulate the flooring underneath? i know it's risky but.....

Very risky disturbing old piping. I'd look at ways of just slipping the
flooring under. Or removing and re-installing.

David Efflandt May 13th 05 09:12 AM

On 12 May 2005, wrote:
i've checked the rad's and there is some play in the piping and the
rad's. i was wondering if i were to "very gently" rock the rad to
manipulate the flooring underneath? i know it's risky but.....

Are they 1-pipe or 2-pipe steam? Don't they have a union at the shutoff
valve? Make sure they end up sloped in the proper direction to drain.