DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Magnets & Wrist Watches -- Are They Compatible? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/107166-re-magnets-wrist-watches-they-compatible.html)

Matt May 7th 05 08:12 AM

Magnets & Wrist Watches -- Are They Compatible?

Who knows?

But if your watch fails a week after you expose it, will you blame the
magnet?

Would it have failed anyway? Was it coincidence?

If the watch has value to you - monetarily, sentimental or otherwise -
take it off when you do things that you aren't sure of the damage that
might be done to it.

I mean, you wouldn't wear it when swimming, right?

Now, on the other hand, if you just want to know - lay the ******* on
the magnet for a week and see if it still works.

Bennett Price May 7th 05 05:32 PM

I can't answer with certainty but I think any moving part (not made of
stainless or brass or otherwise un-magnetizable) is likely to be
adversely effected. If it's an LCD watch, I think you are safe.

jim evans wrote:
I have no idea where to ask this question, so I'm asking it here.

Are battery operated digital wrist watches affected by strong magnets?

I have a strong rare earth magnet. It's to go in a location where my
wrist watch will rest against it several times a day. Will this harm
the watch?

jim
___
Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page.
It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair

Jeff Wisnia May 7th 05 06:42 PM

jim evans wrote:

I have no idea where to ask this question, so I'm asking it here.

Are battery operated digital wrist watches affected by strong magnets?

I have a strong rare earth magnet. It's to go in a location where my
wrist watch will rest against it several times a day. Will this harm
the watch?

jim
___
Have a home upkeep question? Try my help page.
It's sort of an alt.home.repair FAQ. http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair

Interesting question...Try asking it at:

alt.horology

the guys there are antipodal to those on alt.hvac; they seem more than
happy to answer questions from those not "in the guild".

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Nick Hull May 7th 05 09:54 PM

In article ,
jim evans wrote:

I have no idea where to ask this question, so I'm asking it here.

Are battery operated digital wrist watches affected by strong magnets?

I have a strong rare earth magnet. It's to go in a location where my
wrist watch will rest against it several times a day. Will this harm
the watch?

I would say no problem, I often glue a strong rare earth magnet to the
back of a cheap (water resistant) watch to stick it to my tractor (etc)
and they seem to work for a year or more outdoors.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

toller May 7th 05 10:03 PM

I would say no problem, I often glue a strong rare earth magnet to the
back of a cheap (water resistant) watch to stick it to my tractor (etc)
and they seem to work for a year or more outdoors.

Why not just glue a watch to the tractor?

Bishoop May 7th 05 10:20 PM

"toller" wrote in message

Why not just glue a watch to the tractor?

Not quite as portable if it's glued.....

MUADIB® May 8th 05 05:28 AM

I have a story that might help.

I worked in a Sheet metal shop for 6.5 years. I constantly operated a
Spot welding machine with my hands ( one with watch around wrist) near
the welding tips. this is the second highest area of magnetic field.
The strongest is in the coils. I wore a very old (even then) TI
digital LED watch. It kept great time for probably half of my
employment there. I broke it while Kicking a Hacky Sack around one
day. When I bought a replacement I gave it no consideration , as the
watch was not even available new any longer. I went down and bought a
cheap TIMEX analog..........the analog watch kept making me work
overtime , and all kinds of odd things like missing break times by
over an hour, and neat stuff like that. I pretty much quit wearing a
watch after that............Moral: Digital OK around very strong
magnets. Analog TIMEX.........Not so good.

( the spot welder would pick up a 12 inch pair of Channel Lock pliers
and hold it suspended for the duration it was set to weld)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

Nick Hull May 8th 05 01:47 PM

In article ,
"Bishoop" wrote:

"toller" wrote in message

Why not just glue a watch to the tractor?

Not quite as portable if it's glued.....

I have more than one tractor (plus ATV, PU truck) ;)