DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Laminate flooring under the 'fridge? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/107014-laminate-flooring-under-fridge.html)

DJ May 6th 05 04:27 PM

Laminate flooring under the 'fridge?

I'm about to finish my kitchen remodel, finally...

I have Shaw laminate for the floor and I am wondering how to handle
the problem of "under the 'fridge".

What will happen if I just lay it down and slide the 'fridge over it?
Is this a no-no? What, if any, are my options?

David
djones at LSidaho.com

David - 05 KTM 200EXC
djonesatLSidaho.com
http://www.spodefest.net/rmd

[email protected] May 6th 05 05:20 PM

Try to use the wheels as opposed to sliding it.

Also we have laminate in the kitchen, don't know the brand, and the
heat of the compressor (which is just a few inches above the floor)
caused the laminate to get mucked up, after a couple years. I put a
thick piece of cardboard on the floor under where the compressor is to
protect it.

DJ May 6th 05 05:29 PM

On 6 May 2005 09:20:05 -0700, wrote:

Try to use the wheels as opposed to sliding it.

Oops, that's what I really meant

Also we have laminate in the kitchen, don't know the brand, and the
heat of the compressor (which is just a few inches above the floor)
caused the laminate to get mucked up, after a couple years. I put a
thick piece of cardboard on the floor under where the compressor is to
protect it.

My concern is the fact the floor is no longer "floating" there and
what, if any, problems that may cause.

Appearance wise, I can probably just run the edge of the laminate up
to the wheels/supports but then there's the problem of getting the
fridge to roll up over the edge (if/when I need to slide it out) w/o
damaging the laminate.

David

Art May 6th 05 05:43 PM

We have Mannington laminate in a kitchen for a year and a half and the only
problem with it being under the refrigerator is that the refrigerator tends
to move a bit when you open or close it. The floor is still floating per
se. Purpose of floating is so it can expand and contract and refrigerator
won't prevent that.

Mikey S. May 6th 05 09:48 PM

Putting the fridge on the laminate floor will be fine, that won't cause the
floor to stop 'floating' and buckle. Mine is just fine. Just be careful not
to scratch it while sliding/ rolling the fridge into place, though this
isn't as big a problem as you might think, laminate is tougher than it
looks. As long as you don't trap any sand or grit under the wheels or glides
you should be fine.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

DJ May 6th 05 10:46 PM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 16:43:13 GMT, "Art"
wrote:

We have Mannington laminate in a kitchen for a year and a half and the only
problem with it being under the refrigerator is that the refrigerator tends
to move a bit when you open or close it. The floor is still floating per
se. Purpose of floating is so it can expand and contract and refrigerator
won't prevent that.

Thanks, my mind is at ease...

David

DJ May 6th 05 10:48 PM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 20:48:20 GMT, "Mikey S." wrote:

Putting the fridge on the laminate floor will be fine, that won't cause the
floor to stop 'floating' and buckle. Mine is just fine.

Thanks, what I needed to know.

Just be careful not
to scratch it while sliding/ rolling the fridge into place, though this
isn't as big a problem as you might think, laminate is tougher than it
looks. As long as you don't trap any sand or grit under the wheels or glides
you should be fine.

Damn, I guess this means I can't use my usual handful of gravel as a
lubricant? G

David

Art May 7th 05 12:41 AM

"DJ" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 May 2005 20:48:20 GMT, "Mikey S." wrote:

Putting the fridge on the laminate floor will be fine, that won't cause
the
floor to stop 'floating' and buckle. Mine is just fine.

Thanks, what I needed to know.

Just be careful not
to scratch it while sliding/ rolling the fridge into place, though this
isn't as big a problem as you might think, laminate is tougher than it
looks. As long as you don't trap any sand or grit under the wheels or
glides
you should be fine.

Damn, I guess this means I can't use my usual handful of gravel as a
lubricant? G

No, use small ball bearings instead.