DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   painting a textured ceiling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/106730-re-painting-textured-ceiling.html)

Tony Hwang May 6th 05 02:30 AM

painting a textured ceiling

Eddie Marano wrote:

I have the typical sprayed ceiling. It needs to be painted (never has been
painted) and I wanted to know if it has to be an oil paint? I heard that
latex will pull the texture down. Your opinions wanted!

Thanks

Hi,
In this day and age, who's using oil based paint?
Almost none as far as I am concerned.
Smoker(s) in the house?, LOL.
Tony

JT May 6th 05 02:39 AM

Use an oil based primer to seal the texture.
Apply regular latex ceiling paint.
Works great. I just did our house that way a couple of months ago.

Alan May 6th 05 02:05 PM

On Fri, 06 May 2005 01:29:10 GMT, wrote:

I have the typical sprayed ceiling. It needs to be painted (never has been
painted) and I wanted to know if it has to be an oil paint? I heard that
latex will pull the texture down. Your opinions wanted!

Oil is preferred. I use latex with a roller designed for textured
ceilings. Never had a problem.

I tried it once with latex. Never again as it did cause peeling.
Since then I have used oil-based paint (if painting for the first
time) that says it is for textured ceilings. No problems other than
the usual clean-up problems with oil-based paint.

cm May 6th 05 02:38 PM

The ceilings are not peeling down because of the paint, they are peeling
down because they are older and breaking down, loosing thier adhesion to the
ceiling. We spray them with latex paint all the time. I have only had two
ceilings peel in almost 20 years. The second one was this past week.

Good luck,

AZCRAIG

www.arizonavintagetrailers.com

cm May 6th 05 02:48 PM

OK heres my HD idiot story......

I was a service rep for a staple gun manufacturer servicing HD stores. I was
cleaning up our display when the employee in the tool corral brought a
customer to me with one of our staple guns in his hands. The employee states
that the gun is jammed. I said just give him a new one and I'll give the
store credit.

The employee then points the gun at his face so he can see why it's jammed.
I could see his fingers tighting around the handle to fire the gun!!!! I
said DON'T SHOOT THAT TOWARDS YOUR FACE! Well he did and he is lucky it was
jammed. He did this twice and spent 15 minutes trying to un-jam the gun. I
finally handed the customer a new gun while the HD idiot worked on the old
one.

John Willis May 7th 05 06:10 PM

On Fri, 6 May 2005 22:39:45 -0400, "curmudgeon"
scribbled this interesting note:

"cm" wrote in message
[...]

Not much, but it could have been an example of "Evolution in Action!"

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)