DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Gas Water Heater? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/106705-gas-water-heater.html)

HS May 6th 05 02:22 AM

Gas Water Heater?

Hi

ITEM
3 year old 40 gal gas water heater.
Uses natural gas
All plumbing and venting 3 years new.
Mounted on two foot pedestal in garage.

Pilot went out Sunday.

Relit Pilot ok
Burner would not fire.

Tried several times over five hours with pilot off, relite no burner.

House water was hot all day.

House gas furnace was functional so not a gas supply problem.

Later that nite Burner fired up

Is this a problem or sign of failure to come?

tia

..

Matt May 6th 05 02:29 AM

No way to tell.

But most all water heaters carry a minimum 5 year warranty - if not 10.

Check with the plumbing co. who installed it.

Matt

Joseph Meehan May 6th 05 12:22 PM

HS wrote:
Hi

ITEM
3 year old 40 gal gas water heater.
Uses natural gas
All plumbing and venting 3 years new.
Mounted on two foot pedestal in garage.

Pilot went out Sunday.

As Matt said, it is likely under warrantee. Use that first.

As for the actual problem, I would guess the thermocouple would be first
suspect.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Stormin Mormon May 6th 05 02:03 PM

Replace thermocouple. It's the cheapest and easiest part to replace.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Olaf May 6th 05 11:31 PM

How did you discover the pilot went out? If you have hot water in the tank
it's not supposed to fire up the burner.

If you never went without hot water, then I'd say nothing is wrong. Perhaps
the pilot just blew out somehow.