Sparky

Default Kenmore (whirlpool) dryer problem

Howdy folks, hopefully a dryer guru can help me out here.

I have a Kenmore (whirlpool) electric dryer, and when I hit the "start"
button on any setting, the drum will not rotate and the element does not
heat up.

I tested continuity on the starter switch, and it's OK (plus, it starts
the timer). I checked for juice, and there is power to the motor and the
element.

I figured there is some sort of switch on the motor that is preventing
it from starting, but I'm at a loss as to why I'd have juice going to
the element but no heat.

It's a model #C66912691 Type # 138-00 if that helps any.

Any information on what to check would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Sparky
Appliance Repair Aid

Sparky wrote:
[...]

Hi,

It's a model #C66912691

I got 110.66912691 to come up for me.

the drum will not rotate and the element does not heat up.

Be glad the heat will not work without the motor running! The heat will
not come one without the motor running.

I checked for juice, and there is power to the motor and the
element.

How did you check?

when I hit the "start" button on any setting, the drum will not

rotate
and the element does not heat up.

Dead with no sounds...right?
A copy:

Q - My dryer is dead, what could do that ?

A - Common problems...blown house fuse/tripped breaker ( electric
dryers need 2 )...loose white/neutral wire...broken belt ( on some
models only )...door switch/door switch bracket...*thermal fuse open (
venting needs attention )...broken or burnt
wire...timer...motor...burnt power cord/plug...start switch (
especially the ones with a built in relay switch )

* If you find a blown thermal fuse, always clean, change, adjust the
venting system and vent hood first

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Sparky

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

I checked for juice, and there is power to the motor and the
element.

How did you check?

Multimeter. I wanted to make sure power was getting from the switch to
the timer to the rest of the unit, so I followed the wires.

Dead with no sounds...right?
A copy:

Q - My dryer is dead, what could do that ?

A - Common problems...

....door switch/door switch bracket...*thermal fuse open (
venting needs attention )...broken or burnt
wire...timer...motor...burnt power cord/plug...start switch (
especially the ones with a built in relay switch )

Interesting, I'll check the fuses and the switches once I figure out
where they all are in this dryer.

Thanks
Sparky
Ed

Unplug the dryer, remove the back panel.
Look for a white plastic part near and to the left of the vent outlet, it
has two wires on it. Check this for continuity. On the heater can, near the
top, there is usually a device on the left side with two wires on it. Check
this for continuty. Your have now tested both thermal fuses.

"Sparky" wrote in message
Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

I checked for juice, and there is power to the motor and the
element.

How did you check?

Multimeter. I wanted to make sure power was getting from the switch to the
timer to the rest of the unit, so I followed the wires.

Dead with no sounds...right?
A copy:

Q - My dryer is dead, what could do that ?

A - Common problems...

...door switch/door switch bracket...*thermal fuse open (
venting needs attention )...broken or burnt
wire...timer...motor...burnt power cord/plug...start switch (
especially the ones with a built in relay switch )

Interesting, I'll check the fuses and the switches once I figure out where
they all are in this dryer.

Thanks
Sparky

Sparky

Ed wrote:
Unplug the dryer, remove the back panel.
Look for a white plastic part near and to the left of the vent outlet, it
has two wires on it. Check this for continuity. On the heater can, near the
top, there is usually a device on the left side with two wires on it. Check
this for continuty. Your have now tested both thermal fuses.

Where the heating element is, there's 3 devices along there. The first
one is just where the heating element gets it's power from. Second in
line is what looks to be a thermostat, and finally, there's some other
device which I can't identify - that's probably the fuse you speak of.

Is there any switches or anything around the motor that I should check?

Sparky

Ed

"Sparky" wrote

Where the heating element is, there's 3 devices along there. The first one
is just where the heating element gets it's power from. Second in line is
what looks to be a thermostat, and finally, there's some other device
which I can't identify - that's probably the fuse you speak of.

The top one is the fuse, the one at the bottom is the high limit thermostat.
There is also a thermostat (or two) near the white plastic fuse. All should
show continuity on your ohmmeter.

Is there any switches or anything around the motor that I should check?

Sparky

The motor switch itself makes a circuit to the heater, there is also a
circuit through the timer. These are not usually problems but can be,
especially the timer with Kenmore brand Whirlpools. If you are not getting
240 volts at the heater terminals any of these could be the source of your
problem. The wiring diagram will show you which circuits to test on the
timer.

Did you test the heater element? Pull one of the wires off and check for
continuity across the terminals with your ohmmeter.

Did you test for 240 volts at the plug receptacle on the wall? If you have
240v, then unplug the dryer and follow the cord to the terminal block on the
back of the dryer. Lots of times a wire burns off the block and will cause
the dryer not to heat. The dryer will run on 120 volts but it will not heat.

Appliance Repair Aid

Sparky wrote:
Where the heating element is, there's 3 devices along there. The

first
one is just where the heating element gets it's power from. Second in

line is what looks to be a thermostat, and finally, there's some

other
device which I can't identify - that's probably the fuse you speak

of.

Is there any switches or anything around the motor that I should

check?

Sparky

Hi,

On the fan blower housing is the thermal fuse....

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2923
Thermal fuse, disposable, on exhaust duct.

Check that for continuity.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Whirlpool Gas Dryer Daremo Home Repair 2 February 21st 05 03:44 AM
Repair of Kenmore gas dryer [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 10th 05 07:52 PM
Whirlpool gas dryer, flames out after start Raymond Cruz Home Repair 3 October 14th 04 12:49 PM
Condenser Dryer heating element problem Mark H UK diy 2 September 16th 04 08:57 AM
Kenmore dryer problem jeff Home Repair 0 October 14th 03 10:43 PM