DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   how to avoid nailing into wires (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/105620-how-avoid-nailing-into-wires.html)

[email protected] May 2nd 05 04:37 PM

how to avoid nailing into wires

I forgot to ask this in my previous post, but the header I am
nailing from the outside of the house is about the same level
as the outlet wires running through the inside wall. I guess it
is really bad to nail into a wire, and probably not an easy
way to avoid doing that? Thanks,

--
Jef

[email protected] May 2nd 05 08:00 PM

I ahve not used them but they make some pretty cool wiring locators
now, which may be a good investment. Maybe you can rent them. Hitting
a wire with a nail can lead to your house burning down, happened to a
friend of mine.

borgunit May 2nd 05 08:02 PM

They have stud/electronic sensors that can tell you approximately
where wiring is.

Jeff Wisnia May 2nd 05 08:38 PM

wrote:
I forgot to ask this in my previous post, but the header I am
nailing from the outside of the house is about the same level
as the outlet wires running through the inside wall. I guess it
is really bad to nail into a wire, and probably not an easy
way to avoid doing that? Thanks,

--
Jef

If this thing you call a "header" is actually a ledger board for a deck,
then you should probably consider well what structural members you are
actually fastening it to, and also consider using lag bolts instead of
nails. Using some flashing with it is a good idea too.

A "header" is the framing piece running across the top of a door,
window, or other opening. See these definitions:

http://db.inman.com/inman/content/su...nistid=Gellner

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Jeff Wisnia May 2nd 05 08:42 PM

Sorry, hadn't read your first post, but my comments about fastening it
on safely still stand. G

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Dan_Musicant May 3rd 05 01:54 AM

On Mon, 02 May 2005 19:02:09 +0000,
lid (borgunit) wrote:

:They have stud/electronic sensors that can tell you approximately
:where wiring is.

See the thread I started about a week ago in this newsgroup:

Subject: Stud sensors - Just picked up Ziron TriScanner OneStep. Is this
a keeper?