frank1492

Default Intermatic Wall Switch Timer EJ500C Fries!

I thought this successor to an earlier version (the one with the
mechanical relay) would solve its problems (premature failure
especially in cold environments.)
The EJ500C was connected in a simple circuit to a 60-W
bulb. It started to smell in under 2 minutes.
The run to the bulb IS 100 ft, buried wire, said you shouldn't
do that in the instructions. (WHYYYYYYY?)
Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know of a
similar switch that is reliable, not made by IM????
In my opinion, ALL Intermatic stuff is junk. Have had
problems with everything I have ever bought that they
make.
Help much appreciated!
Frank

Travis Jordan

frank1492 wrote:
I thought this successor to an earlier version (the one with the
mechanical relay) would solve its problems (premature failure
especially in cold environments.)
The EJ500C was connected in a simple circuit to a 60-W
bulb. It started to smell in under 2 minutes.

The low-end Intermatic products ARE junk. Use the SS7C - it is much
better designed and will handle inductive loads (that's the root cause
of your problem - the large inductance of the long load circuit).

RBM

Tork makes a completely mechanical switch replacement timer that works very
well and is not vulnerable to voltage spikes etc. It only draw back is that
it must be in a single gang box as it's to large to gang with other switches
"frank1492" wrote in message
I thought this successor to an earlier version (the one with the
mechanical relay) would solve its problems (premature failure
especially in cold environments.)
The EJ500C was connected in a simple circuit to a 60-W
bulb. It started to smell in under 2 minutes.
The run to the bulb IS 100 ft, buried wire, said you shouldn't
do that in the instructions. (WHYYYYYYY?)
Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know of a
similar switch that is reliable, not made by IM????
In my opinion, ALL Intermatic stuff is junk. Have had
problems with everything I have ever bought that they
make.
Help much appreciated!
Frank

frank1492

This gets complicated. I used the SS7 (don't know about the C) for
years and had endless trouble with the little motor (relay) inside.
When left in an unheated house over the winter (even with the
battery out and the switch disconnected) I would return and find
the "no0p" message when the battery was reinstalled. This happened
repeatedly! The relay failed even with one of the switches installed
in a moderately cold environment but with heat in the house.
I was told at the time by someone in this newsgroup that there
was a known problem with these switches but that IM continued
to market them. IM always sent replacements promptly, but that
was small consolation for the nuisance of having to constantly
replace them!
Apparently you have never seen this.
I really do appreciate your help, but I am done buying these
switches. I thought the EJ500C might be the answer because it
does not appear to use a mecahnical relay, but it obviously has
this inductance problem.
There is a Canadian company that makes a similar switch.
Any experience with that one?
Thanks.
Frank

On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:08:41 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
I thought this successor to an earlier version (the one with the
mechanical relay) would solve its problems (premature failure
especially in cold environments.)
The EJ500C was connected in a simple circuit to a 60-W
bulb. It started to smell in under 2 minutes.

The low-end Intermatic products ARE junk. Use the SS7C - it is much
better designed and will handle inductive loads (that's the root cause
of your problem - the large inductance of the long load circuit).

frank1492

Looks like a very nice timer, but no battery backup...(like
all mechanical timers)
Thanks!

On Sun, 1 May 2005 17:33:00 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

Tork makes a completely mechanical switch replacement timer that works very
well and is not vulnerable to voltage spikes etc. It only draw back is that
it must be in a single gang box as it's to large to gang with other switches
"frank1492" wrote in message
.. .
I thought this successor to an earlier version (the one with the
mechanical relay) would solve its problems (premature failure
especially in cold environments.)
The EJ500C was connected in a simple circuit to a 60-W
bulb. It started to smell in under 2 minutes.
The run to the bulb IS 100 ft, buried wire, said you shouldn't
do that in the instructions. (WHYYYYYYY?)
Anybody else have this problem? Anybody know of a
similar switch that is reliable, not made by IM????
In my opinion, ALL Intermatic stuff is junk. Have had
problems with everything I have ever bought that they
make.
Help much appreciated!
Frank

Travis Jordan

frank1492 wrote:
I was told at the time by someone in this newsgroup that there
was a known problem with these switches but that IM continued
to market them. IM always sent replacements promptly, but that
was small consolation for the nuisance of having to constantly
replace them!
Apparently you have never seen this.

Hi Frank -

Well, I'm in a warm southern climate, so maybe the problem was
temperature related. I can't imagine why a wide temperature swing would
cause the relay to fail. Perhaps it was a failure in one of the
electronic components that drives the relay.

What functionality specifically are you looking for in a wall
timer....random on/off periods or fixed on/off periods (how many),
battery backup *yes*...what else?

Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
What functionality specifically are you looking for in a wall
timer....random on/off periods or fixed on/off periods (how many),
battery backup *yes*...what else?

Here's two wall switch timers that might work for you. Haven't tried
either one, so I can't vouch for their reliability.

http://www.grasslin.com/pdf/et724.pdf
http://www.smarthomepro.com/1122.html

Another option might be to eliminate the wall timer and install a
in-line industrial duty time switch at your electrical panel. Assuming
that the lighting you want to control is on it's own circuit, of course.

http://www.grasslin.com/gmx-e.html

frank1492

Thank you again. I knew Leviton made one but you never see them.
The GE looks good (will handle inductive loads) but I only found one
source and I'll bet it's pricey (but worth it maybe?)
If you are in the south, I believe that explains why the IM
works for you. The problem is definitely freeze-related and something
to do with the mechanical relay. I will let you know if I get more
info.
I guess you haven't used the Aube. I do know of one place that
carries these, but again they are rare.
Your time and effort on this has been MOST appreciated and
you have given me some very good leads! Thank you!
Frank.

On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:57:05 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Travis Jordan wrote:
What functionality specifically are you looking for in a wall
timer....random on/off periods or fixed on/off periods (how many),
battery backup *yes*...what else?

Here's two wall switch timers that might work for you. Haven't tried
either one, so I can't vouch for their reliability.

http://www.grasslin.com/pdf/et724.pdf
http://www.smarthomepro.com/1122.html

Another option might be to eliminate the wall timer and install a
in-line industrial duty time switch at your electrical panel. Assuming
that the lighting you want to control is on it's own circuit, of course.

http://www.grasslin.com/gmx-e.html

blueman

frank1492 writes:
This gets complicated. I used the SS7 (don't know about the C) for
years and had endless trouble with the little motor (relay) inside.

I too was confused about the "C" designation and called
Intermatic. They said it just indicates a different packaging (one
comes in a box and the other in crimped plastic)

[...]

Are you referring to Aube?
I have recently installed about 6 of their timers. I *really* like the
fact that the switch and timer sit flish to the plate and look just
like a regular Decora paddle (other than the LCD window). My only
(minor) reseravation is that the cover is a bit difficult to open to
change the settings and I am concerned that it might eventually break
off (though to date I have not had any problems). Cost is about $30-35.

blueman

"Travis Jordan" writes:
Travis Jordan wrote:
What functionality specifically are you looking for in a wall
timer....random on/off periods or fixed on/off periods (how many),
battery backup *yes*...what else?

Here's two wall switch timers that might work for you. Haven't tried
either one, so I can't vouch for their reliability.

http://www.grasslin.com/pdf/et724.pdf

Looks exactly the same as the Aube timer. Not sure who OEMs for whome
but seemingly identical.