DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   new deck boards needs powerwashing? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/105421-new-deck-boards-needs-powerwashing.html)

Mikepier April 30th 05 01:16 PM

new deck boards needs powerwashing?

I have 2 questions regarding my deck:

1)I replaced all of my 2X6 PT deckboards with new ones. I will be
staining with Cabots transparent oil-based stain. I know I have to wait
a month for the lumber to dry out but do I still have to powerwash
these new boards before applying the stain?

2) I am not replacing my railings as they are in good shape. They have
old stain on them. Will powerwashing be good enough to remove the old
stain so I can put the Cabots stain on them? Or do I need to sand?

As always, thanks.

Edwin Pawlowski April 30th 05 01:22 PM

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have 2 questions regarding my deck:

1)I replaced all of my 2X6 PT deckboards with new ones. I will be
staining with Cabots transparent oil-based stain. I know I have to wait
a month for the lumber to dry out but do I still have to powerwash
these new boards before applying the stain?

No

2) I am not replacing my railings as they are in good shape. They have
old stain on them. Will powerwashing be good enough to remove the old
stain so I can put the Cabots stain on them? Or do I need to sand?

Depends on what is on them and the condition it is in.. They may only need
a cleaning.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Hopkins May 1st 05 12:54 AM

deckboards, no powerwashing needed. just make sure there's no caked on
mud or bird mess, etc. you know, the usual stuff. for the railings, it
depends. how long has it been since you stained them? have they
weathered? that's usually what the powerwasher is for, stripping away
the gray weathering. just keep a steady hand so the new stain doesn't
look splotchy.