Eric and Megan Swope

Default 15 amp rated light switch and outlets on a 20 amp circuit breaker

Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting filled up.
Below are my basic questions I would like answered if someone could please
help me out so I know if I have to go back and replace some switches and/or
receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen, garage,
dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp rated light
switches?

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp light switch as
well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

toller

Geez, didn't you get enough answers last time?

Eric and Megan Swope

Actually, my questions weren't answered directly, kind of got the talk
around. Sorry to bug you.

"toller" wrote in message
Geez, didn't you get enough answers last time?

Rick

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...76607?v=glance

"toller" wrote in message
Geez, didn't you get enough answers last time?

Goedjn

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:18:44 GMT, "Eric and Megan Swope"
wrote:

Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting filled up.
Below are my basic questions I would like answered if someone could please
help me out so I know if I have to go back and replace some switches and/or
receptacles. Thanks.

The short answer is it's probably ok.
The longer answer is that you should buy, borrow, or steal
a code-book (an obsolete one will do fine) read the relevent
sections.

HeyBub

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting
filled up. Below are my basic questions I would like answered if
someone could please help me out so I know if I have to go back and
replace some switches and/or receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen,
garage, dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp
rated light switches?

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp
light switch as well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

It's okay. Worse case, you put 19 amps worth of lights on the switch which
eventually melts causing a short which trips the circuit breaker.

frank-in-toronto

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 17:35:47 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting
filled up. Below are my basic questions I would like answered if
someone could please help me out so I know if I have to go back and
replace some switches and/or receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen,
garage, dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp
rated light switches?

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp
light switch as well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

It's okay. Worse case, you put 19 amps worth of lights on the switch which
eventually melts causing a short which trips the circuit breaker.

it may be fine according to code, but if it were me, i would
change those 20 amp breakers to 15s. if there's a fire,
you'd have some splaining to do. and when you tell
the insurance man that you got your advice on an
internet newsgroup, his head will not stop shaking.
sideways. not up-and-down.
....thehick

HorneTD

Replies are in line

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting filled up.
Below are my basic questions I would like answered if someone could please
help me out so I know if I have to go back and replace some switches and/or
receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen, garage,
dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp rated light
switches?

The fifteen ampere light switches are fine as long as the connected load
is fifteen amperes or fewer.

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp light switch as
well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

Multiple, i.e. two or more, fifteen ampere receptacles are fine on
twenty ampere circuits in US practice. Using a fifteen ampere switch to
control more than one fifteen ampere outlet on a twenty ampere circuit
is not OK because you would be using the switch to control loads that
may be more than it is tested to control. A fifteen ampere switch
should not control more than a single fifteen ampere receptacle on a
twenty ampere circuit. On a fifteen ampere circuit it would be
perfectly acceptable to use a fifteen ampere switch to control the
entire circuit.
--
Tom H

Eric and Megan Swope

Thanks Tom. On the 20 amp circuit, the 15 amp light switch controls only
one 15 amp outlet, not more, so according to your response, this is
acceptable?

"HorneTD" wrote in message
nk.net...
Replies are in line

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
[...]

udarrell

Most outlets have two or more plug-in receptacles, if each of one load was
15-amps the other only 5 amps, the load would be 20-amps on the switch which
would not trip a 20-amp breaker. The switch could overheat. All such
circuits should probably be breakered with quick-trip 15 amp breakers. Check
your code book and call someone that knows! My post is merely one
illustration, --pay little heed to it. - udarrell

--
Air-Conditioning Manufacturing Companies - Adding Marketing Values to A/C
Equipment
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting filled

up.
Below are my basic questions I would like answered if someone could please
help me out so I know if I have to go back and replace some switches

and/or
receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen,

garage,
dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp rated light
switches?

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is

this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp light switch as
well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

John Hines

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote:

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen, garage,
dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp rated light
switches?

Yes, with the assumption that the controlled devices are 15 amps or less
total.

If you are actually going to be switching high amperage always on
circuits, you are better off spending a few more bucks on a really good
switch, that will hold up, and not burn out.

For just a single 60w bulb, a cheap switch is ok.

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp light switch as
well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

It is probably better that way, with the 15 amp outlets that are
controlled, since they will prevent 20 amp plugs from being plugged in.

Note, as an American, I've not seen any 20 amp appliances, they are not
at all common.

HorneTD

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Thanks Tom. On the 20 amp circuit, the 15 amp light switch controls only
one 15 amp outlet, not more, so according to your response, this is
acceptable?

Yes
--
Tom H
HorneTD

udarrell wrote:
Most outlets have two or more plug-in receptacles, if each of one load was
15-amps the other only 5 amps, the load would be 20-amps on the switch which
would not trip a 20-amp breaker. The switch could overheat. All such
circuits should probably be breakered with quick-trip 15 amp breakers. Check
your code book and call someone that knows! My post is merely one
illustration, --pay little heed to it. - udarrell

I didn't write outlet I wrote single receptacle. So as they might say
in a court room drama, asked and answered council, argumentative.
--
Tom H
Les Wilson

If your house was wired correctly - #14 Romex on the 15 amp circuits and #12
Romex on the 20 amp circuits, you'll find that you'll have a hard time
getting the #12 wire to fit in a switch or recepticle rated for 15 amps if
you use the push terminals (and not the screws).

20 amp outlets and switches cost only pennies more than 15 amp ones. Spend
the extra buck or two for the proper equipment and do it right the first
time.

If you find that you have #14 Romex on a 20 amp circuit - change out the
breaker for a 15 amp one.

All easy to do - but if you have misgivings or are unsure of things, have a
licensed electrician do the work for you.

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Hi again. I started a new thread because the old one was getting filled

up.
Below are my basic questions I would like answered if someone could please
help me out so I know if I have to go back and replace some switches

and/or
receptacles. Thanks.

I have 15 amp rated light switches on a 20 amp circuit. These
light switches in most cases control overhead lights (in a kitchen,

garage,
dining room). Is this alright, or do I need to use 20 amp rated light
switches?

Also, on a 20 amp circuit, I have 15 amp rated electrical outlets? Is

this
alright? Some of these outlets are controlled by a 15 amp light switch as
well, is that alright? Thanks for any help.

Les Wilson

Let me rephrase...

#12 Romex = 20 amp circuit = 20 amp circuit breaker = use 20 amp rated
outlets/switches
#14 Romex = 15 amp circuit = 15 amp circuit breaker = use 15 amp rated
outlets/switches

#14 Romex is slightly thinner and somewhat more flexible and easier to work
with than #12.

#12 Romex will not fit in a 15 amp outlet. #14 will fit in a 20 amp outlet,
but it won' t be a tight connection (if it feels loose or has play in the
connection - you're using an outlet rated higher than the circuit).

You can run 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit - no issues there, but for
the ease of wiring it up - it's best to use the outlet matched to the
circuit (I found this out the hard way when putting new outlets in a house
we just bought - our dining room is on a 20 amp kitchen circuit - was bit of
a bitch connecting #12 wire to the screw terminals since I couldn't push
them into the holes made for #14 wire).

If you stay consistent with your wiring, it'll be easier down the road when
you need to change out switches / outlets.

If your house was wired correctly - #14 Romex on the 15 amp circuits and

Eric and Megan Swope

Thanks Les. I know the house is wired correctly, 12 gauge on a 20 amp, 14
gauge on a 15 amp. The house is 40 years old, and when we bought it 2 years
ago, they only had the 2 prong outlets. I replaced them with 3 pronged
outlets, and used the same rating that was on the old 2 prong ones, 15 amp.
I just heard from others in this newsgroup that my outlets and switches
should match the breaker they are on (20 amp breaker, 20 amp rated switches
and outlets). I was lucky, I used the screw terminals, original electrician
left plenty of extra wire in the box, so it wasn't hard attaching the wire
to the screw terminal. I was more concerned for safety, especially since we
now have a 1 week old baby.

I know there are 15 amp rated switches and 15 amp rated outlets on a 20 amp
breaker. The 15 amp switches either control a 15 amp rated outlet, or
overhead lights (no more than one 100 watt bulb per switch). If my
situation doesn't create a fire hazard, I would certainly love to spend the
time with my new son, but if it is a safety issue, then I will have to
squeeze in some home repair time.

If you get a chance to give me your opinion again, I would appreciate it.

Let me rephrase...

#12 Romex = 20 amp circuit = 20 amp circuit breaker = use 20 amp rated
outlets/switches
#14 Romex = 15 amp circuit = 15 amp circuit breaker = use 15 amp rated
outlets/switches

#14 Romex is slightly thinner and somewhat more flexible and easier to
work
with than #12.

#12 Romex will not fit in a 15 amp outlet. #14 will fit in a 20 amp
outlet,

If your house was wired correctly - #14 Romex on the 15 amp circuits and

Doug Miller

In article , "Les Wilson" wrote:
If your house was wired correctly - #14 Romex on the 15 amp circuits and #12
Romex on the 20 amp circuits, you'll find that you'll have a hard time
getting the #12 wire to fit in a switch or recepticle rated for 15 amps if
you use the push terminals (and not the screws).

There's good reason for that: those push terminals are made for use with 14ga
wire, and *not* for 12ga. You're not _supposed_ to be able to put 12ga wire
into them.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article LMSce.3248$4v.1199@trndny03, "Eric and Megan Swope" wrote:

I just heard from others in this newsgroup that my outlets and switches
should match the breaker they are on (20 amp breaker, 20 amp rated switches
and outlets).

You haven't been listening - this is *not* correct. 15A receptacles on a 20A
circuit is _perfectly_fine_.

--
Regards,

Rudy

it may be fine according to code, but if it were me, i would
change those 20 amp breakers to 15s. if there's a fire,
you'd have some splaining to do. and when you tell
the insurance man that you got your advice on an
internet newsgroup, his head will not stop shaking.
sideways. not up-and-down.

When getting our new home wired in 1998, I asked the electrician to use 12G
instead of 14 GA.
They did but then used 20A breakers....and 15A outlets and switches.
I asked about that and they said there would be no problem, that it was OK
by code

R.

Eric and Megan Swope

Thanks Rudy. I know from reading your post that your electrician used 20 amp
breakers with 12 gauge wire. I know 14 gauge wire can not be used on
anything over 15 amps, but I believe 12 gauge wire can be used on 15 amp
breakers with no harm correct?
"Rudy" wrote in message
it may be fine according to code, but if it were me, i would
change those 20 amp breakers to 15s. if there's a fire,
you'd have some splaining to do. and when you tell
the insurance man that you got your advice on an
internet newsgroup, his head will not stop shaking.
sideways. not up-and-down.

When getting our new home wired in 1998, I asked the electrician to use
12G instead of 14 GA.
They did but then used 20A breakers....and 15A outlets and switches.
I asked about that and they said there would be no problem, that it was OK
by code

R.

Bill

Yes this is fine and is very common.

And if I were a contractor wiring another persons house, I would install
cheap 15 amp switches and outlets on 20 amp circuits. -More profit for me!

For *my* house, it is a different story! I like long lasting quality. I
have installed "commercial grade" 20 amp outlets and switches on 20 amp
circuits. I did this because these are better quality switches and
outlets.

So if replacing an outlet (especially one which is frequently used), you
will have the option of installing a 50 cent outlet or a $2.50 commercial
grade 20 amp outlet. The $2.50 outlet will last longer and will make better
contact with the plug.

It makes my life more pleasant when I don't need to be bending the prongs
of a plug to get it to stay in a worn out outlet.

And so far as the 20 amp "commercial grade" switches go. Also better
quality.

If I were in your shoes, I would not go around replacing all the switches
and outlets since they are already installed. But if one needed
replacement, I would go with the higher quality 20 amp "commercial grade"
switch or outlet.

I also bought a $150.00 "commercial grade" front door lockset. (Can only
buy at a locksmith.) This will last a lifetime. I've known other people who
buy $30 locksets, then in ten years buy another because it is worn out $30
+ $30 = $60, then again in the next ten years $60 + $30 = $90, etc. $120,
$150. Hummm, I guess they spend the same on their locksets as I did on
mine, except I don't need to replace mine every 10 years....

[...]

Doug Miller

In article _r6de.3134$c86.2661@trndny09, "Eric and Megan Swope" wrote:
Thanks Rudy. I know from reading your post that your electrician used 20 amp
breakers with 12 gauge wire. I know 14 gauge wire can not be used on
anything over 15 amps, but I believe 12 gauge wire can be used on 15 amp
breakers with no harm correct?

That's correct. 14ga copper is the *minimum* for 15A circuits.

--
Regards,

Rudy

Thanks Rudy. I know from reading your post that your electrician used 20
amp breakers with 12 gauge wire. I know 14 gauge wire can not be used on
anything over 15 amps, but I believe 12 gauge wire can be used on 15 amp
breakers with no harm correct?

I assumed it could..they described it (12GA) as "overkill"
I didnt ask for the 20A breakers..they just ended up in there

Posted to alt.home.repair
K2 K2 is offline

replying to Eric and Megan Swope, K2 wrote:
Just asked my electrician the same question, yes its legal and to code here in
Washington State to use multiple 15amp outlets on 12 wire and 20 amp breaker.
L&I inspector agreed and says its installed per code.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...br-648978-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 11:44:02 +0000, K2
m wrote:

replying to Eric and Megan Swope, K2 wrote:
Just asked my electrician the same question, yes its legal and to code here in
Washington State to use multiple 15amp outlets on 12 wire and 20 amp breaker.
L&I inspector agreed and says its installed per code.

Switches should be sized to the load but 15a receptacles are actually
rated to pass through 20a. The listing on any equipment using a 15a
(NEMA 5-15) plug should be limited at 12a or 80% of 15a. I have seen
some non-compliant equipment but it is rare. Usually the labeling is
bogus, like those "1800 watt" hair dryers that are actually more like
1400w.