DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Noisy Running Water (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/104497-noisy-running-water.html)

tonym April 25th 05 06:58 PM

Noisy Running Water

I'm renovating my kitchen, and removed the existing soffit so that I
may extend height of my kitchen cabinets. I discovered that there is
a PVC waste pipe that drains water from the upstairs bathroom.Before I
finish of the top of the cabinet with crown moulding, I would like to
deaden or minimize the sound of 'swooshing' water each time the toilet
is flushed or the sink is used. Can anyone recommend a solution or
approach to eliminating this sound? Is there a type of wrap that may
be placed around the PVC?

TonyM

stretch April 25th 05 07:57 PM

Use Cast Iron No Hub pipe. It is heavy enough that the water will not
vivrate it, hence little or no noise. Connect it to PVC with no hub
couplings or Frenco Fittings.

Stretch

Speedy Jim April 25th 05 08:19 PM

stretch wrote:
Use Cast Iron No Hub pipe. It is heavy enough that the water will not
vivrate it, hence little or no noise. Connect it to PVC with no hub
couplings or Frenco Fittings.

Stretch

Stretch is right; there is nothing like CI to deaden noise.

If you can't do that, look at the new sound deadening
products these folks have:
http://www.soundproofing.org%20suppo...es/prices.html

Don't even think about fiberglass or similar thermal insulation;
it won't do a thing for the noise.

Jim

Goedjn April 25th 05 09:27 PM

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:19:51 -0400, Speedy Jim wrote:

stretch wrote:
Use Cast Iron No Hub pipe. It is heavy enough that the water will not
vivrate it, hence little or no noise. Connect it to PVC with no hub
couplings or Frenco Fittings.

The thing you want is mass. I'd leave the PVC in place, wrap in in
whatever soft insulation you can in order to leave it free to
vibrate without transmitting to the outside, and then wrap the entire
thing in the heaviest stuff you can find. Lead flashing would be
perfect.