DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Clothes dryer timer motor doesn't move (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/104247-clothes-dryer-timer-motor-doesnt-move.html)

Ray K April 24th 05 05:44 AM

Clothes dryer timer motor doesn't move

The knob I use to select drying time in this White-Westinghouse dryer
doesn't move, regardless of whether set for timed or automatic drying.
With the dryer running, I measure 120 V across the motor. Resistance
across the motor, with one lead disconnected from everything, is 3000
ohms, which is about what it should be based on the 3 watt rating
stamped on it. Electrically, the motor seems okay. Looks like a
mechanical failure (e.g., gears) within the timer assembly. Anything
else I might be missing?

Thanks,

Ray

Appliance Repair Aid April 24th 05 02:15 PM

Ray K wrote:
The knob I use to select drying time in this White-Westinghouse dryer

doesn't move, regardless of whether set for timed or automatic

drying.
With the dryer running, I measure 120 V across the motor. Resistance
across the motor, with one lead disconnected from everything, is 3000

ohms, which is about what it should be based on the 3 watt rating
stamped on it. Electrically, the motor seems okay. Looks like a
mechanical failure (e.g., gears) within the timer assembly. Anything
else I might be missing?

Thanks,

Ray

Hi,

If the timer motor is getting 110-120 volts AC in all timer settings (
timed and auto cycles ) but the timer is not
advancing/moving....certainly sounds like new timer time!
Doesn't have to be a stripped gear, something could be binding/seizing
up as well and failing.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Stormin Mormon April 24th 05 11:56 PM

Sounds like you have isolated the problem. Excellent work.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Mastermech April 25th 05 01:21 AM

I have replaced my timer 3 times, $60 bucks each. the 1st one I got was
defective, and the second lasted about a year. The third is 3 years and
going strong.

Ray K April 25th 05 01:33 PM

Mastermech wrote:
I have replaced my timer 3 times, $60 bucks each. the 1st one I got was
defective, and the second lasted about a year. The third is 3 years and
going strong.

Which brand dryer?

Ray K April 25th 05 01:35 PM

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Ray K wrote:

[...]

One other thing that probably confirms mechanical problems: Seems to me
that originally I could twist the timer knob only clockwise. Now I can
twist it either way.