DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ground Wires In A Plastic Gang Box & Wire Nut Question ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/104142-ground-wires-plastic-gang-box-wire-nut-question.html)

Robert11 April 23rd 05 09:46 PM

Ground Wires In A Plastic Gang Box & Wire Nut Question ?

Hi,

No big deal in putting one on, but was just
curious what the code requirements are, as I'm used to working with metal
gang boxes
rather than the plastic ones.

For a plastic box:

Regarding the bare ground wires that one twists together in the box, is it
required to still put a wire nut on them, even though they are twisted very
well together ?

Thanks,
B.

toller April 23rd 05 09:55 PM

Regarding the bare ground wires that one twists together in the box, is it
required to still put a wire nut on them, even though they are twisted
very well together ?

Around here they have to be crimped together; a wirenut is not acceptable.
Don't know if that is code everywhere.

Noozer April 24th 05 04:15 AM

"toller" wrote in message
Regarding the bare ground wires that one twists together in the box, is
it
required to still put a wire nut on them, even though they are twisted
very well together ?

Around here they have to be crimped together; a wirenut is not acceptable.
Don't know if that is code everywhere.

Here a wirenut is a definate no-no. Using the ground screw in the box to
ensure a good bond is what they want. After that you need to use a bare
crimp. The plastic boxes we have still have a ground screw that will make
contact with whatever fixture, etc you install.

HorneTD April 24th 05 04:57 AM

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

No big deal in putting one on, but was just
curious what the code requirements are, as I'm used to working with metal
gang boxes
rather than the plastic ones.

For a plastic box:

Regarding the bare ground wires that one twists together in the box, is it
required to still put a wire nut on them, even though they are twisted very
well together ?

Thanks,
B.

There is no exception in the code that excludes the Equipment Grounding
Conductors (EGCs) from the requirements of 110.14. So, yes you do have
to use a crimp sleeve, wire nut, or other listed means to join the EGCs
together.

110.14 Electrical Connections.
(B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices
identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a
fusible metal or alloy.
--
Tom H

Rudy April 24th 05 07:01 AM

"toller" wrote in message
Regarding the bare ground wires that one twists together in the box, is
it
required to still put a wire nut on them, even though they are twisted
very well together ?

Around here they have to be crimped together; a wirenut is not acceptable.
Don't know if that is code everywhere.

twist & nut here..no crimp but connected to ground in box

The Real Tom April 24th 05 08:50 PM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:55:09 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Regarding the bare ground wires that one twists together in the box, is it
required to still put a wire nut on them, even though they are twisted
very well together ?

Around here they have to be crimped together; a wirenut is not acceptable.
Don't know if that is code everywhere.

Where is 'here'?

Just curious.

tom

The Real Tom April 24th 05 08:52 PM

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 03:15:57 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"toller" wrote in message
Regarding the bare ground wires that one twists together in the box, is
it
required to still put a wire nut on them, even though they are twisted
very well together ?

Around here they have to be crimped together; a wirenut is not acceptable.
Don't know if that is code everywhere.

Here a wirenut is a definate no-no. Using the ground screw in the box to
ensure a good bond is what they want. After that you need to use a bare
crimp. The plastic boxes we have still have a ground screw that will make
contact with whatever fixture, etc you install.

scratching head

Your plastic boxes have ground screws? Do you have a url to the
manufacturer's page, so I can see a picture?

thank you,

tom