Julie P.

Default Craftsman Professional vs. Ingersoll-Rand air compressor?

I have finally decided to bite the bullet and invest in a good quality air
compressor for auto mechanics and auto body work this summer. I have about
20 different air tools, but they have been sitting around unused for 3 years
now, and I am getting tired of this. For example, I need to fabricate and
weld sheet metal to fix holes in my rocker panels, and I will need to be
able to run tools like a high-speed sander (aka "grinder"), 6" DA sander,
cut-off tool, air shears, etc.

Tomorrow is the beginning of Craftsman Club week at Sears, and I will be
able to buy a 60 gallon Craftsman Professional stationary air compressor at
Sears for only $432 plus tax and delivery. The normal cost is $549! This is
a limited-quantities, closeout item which has been drastically reduced!

Here are the specs:

http://snipurl.com/e6i5

Craftsman Professional Mfr. model #16561
Two Stage Compressor
Twin-V 2-Stage Oil Free
60 gallon stationary, vertical
175 PSI max
9.6 SCFM at 90 PSI
9.0 SCFM at 40 PSI
15 amps
7.0 HP
Direct drive
Internal cooling fan
240 volts
Warranty: 1 year
Weight: 192.0 lb.

The SCFM looks very low, but Sears rates this a 9 out of 10, which in their
system, means can power all-known air tools continuously, with no trigger
time and 100% duty cycle time (except for a 1" impact wrench and 7" sander,
which I don't use), since it runs on a maximum of 175 PSI. Only their
80-gallon compressor is more powerful. Does this seem suspicious?

I am also considering an Ingersoll-Rand 60 gallon compressor, for $799. But
there would be no discount for this:

http://snipurl.com/e6ia (or http://snipurl.com/e6im)

Ingersoll-Rand Mfr. model #SS5L5
60 gallon stationary vertical
Twin cylinder
Oil lube
18.1 SCFM at 90 PSI
135 max PSI
5.0 hp
9500+ hours of life at 100% duty cycle
230 volts
2 year warranty
weight: 310 lb.

I just don't want to spend almost $400 more on an IR compressor, which is
also 60 gallon, if it won't actually be that much more powerful.

So I would like to know if the Craftsman Professional 60 gallon compressor
will meet all of my needs? Or is the IR one really much better?

Also, aren't all these compressors made by the same company anyway,
DeVilbiss? See http://www.aircompressorsettlement.com/.

Thanks!

Julie

Charles Spitzer

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

you're not comparing apples to apples. the i-r puts out lots more air. a
comparable i-r one would be their 3 hp model. northerntool.com has that i-r
on sale this month for the same price as the sears one you quoted. i just
ordered one, but it takes 4 weeks for delivery.

Relz

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

I would pay more attention to the CFM output than anything, IMO. I think a
die grinder or normal pnuematic hand drill pulls about 15-20 cfm, depending
on brand (check your tools or Google it). 9SCFM seems low. You'll want a
compressor to be able to keep up with you if you don't want to have to wait
on it. Also, the two-stage will pump air into the tank faster than a single
stage. I didn't see where the IR commented on if it is a single stage pump
or not.

Do you have a Northern Hydraulics or can you maybe find another source of
air compressors other than Sears?

Relz

Ed Clarke

On 2005-04-22, Julie P. wrote:

The IR model is twice as powerful as the Sears unit. Furthermore, IR
makes equipment that runs forever at the rated output. Given a choice
between buying a compressor designed by a cost cutting accountant and
an industrial tool manufacturer... The 5HP motor on my own compressor
takes 27 amps at 240 volts.

Get the IR unit, or a used one on eBay if you can find one in your area.

--
This signature left blank.
m Ransley

IR are made to last 30 yrs, Sears are made to sell for less.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Julie P." wrote in message

I just don't want to spend almost $400 more on an IR compressor, which is
also 60 gallon, if it won't actually be that much more powerful.

So I would like to know if the Craftsman Professional 60 gallon compressor
will meet all of my needs? Or is the IR one really much better?

Those Sears oil-less units will self destruct within a few years at
best--been there, done that (several times, in fact)....never again!!!

They run skinny cast aluminum piston rods at 3600 rpms and they use plastic
'rings'...the compressor mount platform will crack where its welded to the
tank from vibration....the rods will crack and turn the whole pump into
scrap metal....the cooling fan is porrly balanced and is made out of an
unsuitable plastic for the application...this will often crack and
break.....to top it off....they are terribly noisey too...the list goes on
and on....I still have 2 compressor carcasses out back of the shop.....and a
stock of "spare parts" in our maintenance stores...from back in the days
when I had thought_ just _maybe_ they would work the ****ing bugs out of
their 'design'....

Avoid_the_Sears_oil-less_at_all_costs.......they *will* eventually
morph...( into air-less compressors )

====

OTOH...I've had fairly good luck with the homeowner CH compressors...running
them continuously 40 hours/week and with a duty cycle that approaches 80% at
times....

--

SVL

AlanBown

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Just an odd thought here. 15 amps and 7 hp????? . Does not seem like enough
current for 7 hp.
I agree with the other posters, your not comparing apples to apples. The
Craftsman is about HALF the CFMs of the IR. Check on line for some CFM
ratings for your tools. Ballpark would do. I belive your Craftsman is going
to run all of the time if your running a sander or grinder. Not a good
thing to let oil-less compressors get hot.

[...]

Tony Hwang

Julie P. wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
It's no brainer. I got an IR beaten up one at auction dirt cheap, I am
sure it'll outlast new
Sears one. It runs strong and nothing needed to be done except cleaning.
Tony
Julie P.

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Charles! I checked that out. The only thing I don;t like about
northerntool is that they ship these by truck, and the truck may charge you
a liftgate fee to unload it. Or they may not even have a liftgate. Then how
are you supposed to get it out?

I do think I will be getting a IR one though, after reading everyone's post
here, probably the 60 gallon one for $800 at Sears.

And I think that air compressor chart that Sears provides in its Craftsman
catalog is misleading then, since many grinders, drills, etc., take 13-15
SCFM, and the chart claims their 60 gal. compressor will run those air tools
continuously, even though the SCFM output is only around 9.6! That's why I
was comparing the Sears 7.0 HP 60 gallon one above with the IR 5 hp 60
gallon one, even though the output was really different!

Edwin Pawlowski

"Julie P." wrote in message

I just don't want to spend almost $400 more on an IR compressor, which is
also 60 gallon, if it won't actually be that much more powerful.

So I would like to know if the Craftsman Professional 60 gallon
compressor
will meet all of my needs? Or is the IR one really much better?

The Craftsman will last a few years. Your grandkids will be using the IR.

Julie P.

"Relz" wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Relz. I will see if they have this store here. I will probably end up
getting an Ingersoll-Rand one though now, since they are better built, from
what I have read since I posted!

Julie P.

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message

[...]

Hey, thanks SVL, Tony, Ed, Alan, and m for the tips! I am so glad I posted
here before buying the Craftsman. It looks like they are not well built. I
think it will make more sense to spend more and invest in a good quality IR.
My biggest tools need 15 scfm at 90 psi.

Julie

Duane Bozarth

"Julie P." wrote:

Thanks Charles! I checked that out. The only thing I don;t like about
northerntool is that they ship these by truck, and the truck may charge you
a liftgate fee to unload it. Or they may not even have a liftgate. Then how
are you supposed to get it out?

I never thought Northern was much of a bargain, either. I've bought
stuff from them on occasion when was where they had a store, but few
bargains. The I-R prices there seem in line w/ other distributors w/
local delivery.

I don't think you can go very wrong that way, for sure.
Greg O

"Julie P." wrote in message
news

" And I think that air compressor chart that Sears provides in its
Craftsman catalog is misleading then, since many grinders, drills, etc.,
take 13-15 SCFM, and the chart claims their 60 gal. compressor will run
those air tools continuously, even though the SCFM output is only around
9.6! That's why I was comparing the Sears 7.0 HP 60 gallon one above with
the IR 5 hp 60 gallon one, even though the output was really different!

Keep in mind that you will rarely run air tools constantly. I have a 10 CFM
compressor and it does all I need. I also use air drills, DA sanders and die
grinders. 10 CFM will run any of the tools I have as most people will not
run them 100%. Sears claim is probably accurate for the general population.
Unless you plan on using your air tools to the extreme, you will probably be
satisfied with a 10 CFM compressor.

That said Sear's compressors are junk. If you can afford a larger
compressor, go with it, it will live longer because it will not run as hard.
If you can afford the IR, buy it, you will never replace it!
Greg

Julie P.

"Greg O" wrote in message

"Julie P." wrote in message
news

" And I think that air compressor chart that Sears provides in its
Craftsman catalog is misleading then, since many grinders, drills, etc.,
take 13-15 SCFM, and the chart claims their 60 gal. compressor will run
those air tools continuously, even though the SCFM output is only around
9.6! That's why I was comparing the Sears 7.0 HP 60 gallon one above with
the IR 5 hp 60 gallon one, even though the output was really different!

Keep in mind that you will rarely run air tools constantly. I have a 10
CFM compressor and it does all I need. I also use air drills, DA sanders
and die grinders. 10 CFM will run any of the tools I have as most people
will not run them 100%. Sears claim is probably accurate for the general
population. Unless you plan on using your air tools to the extreme, you
will probably be satisfied with a 10 CFM compressor.

Thanks Greg! This is a good point. The thing is, I would like to have the
option to run a grinder or sander or paint gun for 2-3 minutes continuously,
and I don't know if the Sears 9.6 scfm would cut it. Plus I would worry the
motor would be running continuously trying to keep up with me, thus leading
to premature failure.

That said Sear's compressors are junk. If you can afford a larger
compressor, go with it, it will live longer because it will not run as
hard. If you can afford the IR, buy it, you will never replace it!
Greg

Thank you! I'm looking forward to buying an IR one then as everyone here
seems to agree that Craftsman is junk.

J.

the two stage 60 gal you will have more reserve air as its rated higher
psi so theres more compressed air in it than the single stage. dont you
thing you need a 80 gallon take with 2 stage compressor too run a da
continuosly?? the sears oilless compressors are loud loud loud and for
homeowners... . the oil bath compressors with ball brg mains seem to
last better.. lucas